Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long has it been since your last LAN party?

I've never actually been to one, and likely never will and LAN parties don't really make sense anymore. 15-20 years ago my friends and family all gamed on consoles, so LAN parties were never really a "thing" for me. I do remember getting really annoyed by people claiming that LAN parties were "local multiplayer" for PC like what was available on consoles and no, it just isn't. It's network play between separate systems all running and separately purchased copy of a game, it was not the same thing as as for people with thier own controller playing Goldeneye on N64 on the same console. Just because that network is not a WAN (Wide Area Network, like the world wide web) an instead an LAN (Local Area Network, literally what LAN stands for) doesn't make it the same as local multiplayer that existed on consoles at the time. I know it's pointless to bring that up now and everything is different these days, but that really irked me when people claimed "Local Multiplayer does exist on PC because of LAN", it was so stupid.

8 hours ago, kingpotato said:

About 10 years now, back in highschool during free time we used to play halo ce at the old computer room, some times we played age of empires but mostly it was just halo ce multiplayer, it was quick to install and set up back then

A  LAN party is traditionally an event you take your own computer and peripherals to. I'd not consider playing some games at a school or workplace a LAN party. It doesn't have the same festivity to it, when you just run some games on the already pre-arranged network of computers.

A LAN party has its own atmosphere whether it is held in a private home a garage or a concert hall.

Edited by m76

6 hours ago, m76 said:

A  LAN party is traditionally an event you take your own computer and peripherals to. I'd not consider playing some games at a school or workplace a LAN party. It doesn't have the same festivity to it, when you just run some games on the already pre-arranged network of computers.

A LAN party has its own atmosphere whether it is held in a private home a garage or a concert hall.

Well I guess I was too young back then for the actual LAN parties. We were already playing online through consoles by the time I was 14 and most of us didnt had a pc that we could use for gaming other than our parents pc which we couldnt take to another house or location to setup a LAN party,  so we had to rely on what we had.