Register Now
Kane99

Do you know how to repair your own games and consoles?

2 hours ago, Boblee said:

I'm definitely not going to do everything by myself though, so even if I have the knowledge to do so, I would still take them to the tech store. 

Taking them to the tech is the best, because he or she is specialized for that. I wouldn't try that on my own trying to repair my consoles and it's controller because I'm inexperienced. 

On 1/9/2022 at 1:42 AM, Justin11 said:

Taking them to the tech is the best, because he or she is specialized for that. I wouldn't try that on my own trying to repair my consoles and it's controller because I'm inexperienced. 

I can't play and still go back and keep as the goalkeeper. My duty is to play my gaming console or PC and once it's damaged, the tech professionals gets their job. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, kingpotato said:

This as much as I know about repairing videogames

lance-stephenson-nintendo.jpg

lol same. I didn't know that it was actually bad to do for your carts, due to corrosion caused from saliva from blowing on it. So I kinda stopped doing that and just use q-tips with rubbing alcohol and that's really all you need. 🙂 

I know how to repair controllers with ease. Depending on the console, I can repair them as well. NES and SNES are easy as hell to repair. The cartridges are easy to repair as well. If a solder point has come loose, that's a pain in the ass, but an easy fix for a steady hand. Some game carts, I can't fix because I don't have the tools to open them. Some are put together with rivets instead of any kind of removable screw. But anything else is easy.

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

I can't play and still go back and keep as the goalkeeper. My duty is to play my gaming console or PC and once it's damaged, the tech professionals gets their job. 

That's it, and that's the essence of the tech professionals. Anyone who wants to take care of his or her console or games when their is fault, should go acquire the skill of a tech expert in video game consoles/games. 

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

lol same. I didn't know that it was actually bad to do for your carts, due to corrosion caused from saliva from blowing on it. So I kinda stopped doing that and just use q-tips with rubbing alcohol and that's really all you need. 🙂 

Yeah it was bad for the cart itself, no wonder some of those games never lasted. But we were young and didnt know any better.

I took 2 years of electronics, so I have a decent background on this sort of thing. But I'm never repairing another stereo as long as I live. I've done so many of them I could do it in my sleep, and I hate doing them. Also, finding the resistors and transistors for them is almost impossible now that electronic component stores like Radio Shack are gone. So I have had a good reason to tell people to piss off when they've asked me to fix their stereo. But some still have me on retainer. And you know what the biggest problem is? A dirty lens. I clean that in 5 seconds. Keep it for a day. Give it back and I get $50. I tell them the problem was the lens, and that it should be fine now. But I tell them no more than that.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, The Blackangel said:

I know how to repair controllers with ease. Depending on the console, I can repair them as well. NES and SNES are easy as hell to repair. The cartridges are easy to repair as well. If a solder point has come loose, that's a pain in the ass, but an easy fix for a steady hand. Some game carts, I can't fix because I don't have the tools to open them. Some are put together with rivets instead of any kind of removable screw. But anything else is easy.

Oh yeah, most retro stuff is a lot easier to take care of and fix. A lot of the new products releasing tend to be a bit cheap in quality and build. I wish I knew how to repair a lot of the older stuff. I have repaired an NES, by just installing a new 72 pin connector. Tried it for another NES I had, but the contacts on the board were corroded somehow and I had no clue what to do next. 

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I took 2 years of electronics, so I have a decent background on this sort of thing. But I'm never repairing another stereo as long as I live. I've done so many of them I could do it in my sleep, and I hate doing them. Also, finding the resistors and transistors for them is almost impossible now that electronic component stores like Radio Shack are gone. So I have had a good reason to tell people to piss off when they've asked me to fix their stereo. But some still have me on retainer. And you know what the biggest problem is? A dirty lens. I clean that in 5 seconds. Keep it for a day. Give it back and I get $50. I tell them the problem was the lens, and that it should be fine now. But I tell them no more than that.

A 5 secs job for $50, that's one hell of a business deal 😂. I have only done that (cleaning lens) with my DVD player, and it's not that hard. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh yeah, most retro stuff is a lot easier to take care of and fix. A lot of the new products releasing tend to be a bit cheap in quality and build. I wish I knew how to repair a lot of the older stuff. I have repaired an NES, by just installing a new 72 pin connector. Tried it for another NES I had, but the contacts on the board were corroded somehow and I had no clue what to do next. 

Controllers are one of the easiest things to fix. I've repaired them all, from Atari 2600 all the way up to PS4 and Xbox One.

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

A 5 secs job for $50, that's one hell of a business deal 😂. I have only done that (cleaning lens) with my DVD player, and it's not that hard. 

Most people don't think of cleaning the lens when their CD player quits reading discs. They just immediately think it's broken, so they bring it to me to fix it.