Register Now
Kane99

Do you know how to repair your own games and consoles?

On 1/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, kingpotato said:

Yeah it was bad for the cart itself, no wonder some of those games never lasted. But we were young and didnt know any better.

Everyone did it back in the day lol. I still see people doing it to this day. I tell them not to though at the risk of damaging the console and the games. 

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Controllers are one of the easiest things to fix. I've repaired them all, from Atari 2600 all the way up to PS4 and Xbox One.

Most people don't think of cleaning the lens when their CD player quits reading discs. They just immediately think it's broken, so they bring it to me to fix it.

Oh I imagine. Controllers are probably the easiest to diagnose and repair. I wouldn't know how to repair them myself, but I'm sure there's not much that does go into it. Especially the older controllers with just a board and some connectors. But newer controllers with all their additional parts, can be a chore to deal with. I've taken apart a few PS2, 360 controllers, and they are a bitch to put back together sometimes. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, Kane99 said:

Everyone did it back in the day lol. I still see people doing it to this day. I tell them not to though at the risk of damaging the console and the games. 

Oh I imagine. Controllers are probably the easiest to diagnose and repair. I wouldn't know how to repair them myself, but I'm sure there's not much that does go into it. Especially the older controllers with just a board and some connectors. But newer controllers with all their additional parts, can be a chore to deal with. I've taken apart a few PS2, 360 controllers, and they are a bitch to put back together sometimes. 

These days ever since the N64, every controller has analog sticks used more so than D-Pad usage. And those, once worn out, usually have to be replaced, depending on how worn out they are. Which often times means taking parts from another controller. The hardest controller I've ever worked on thus far is the PS4 controller. With that (not sure what it's actually called) big button in the controller, I have to be extremely careful and go extremely slow to make sure I don't fuck up the connections to it. That button is just a major pain in the ass to work around. The pic below shows the button I'm referencing. Other than the PS4, controllers are so simple to fix, a toddler could do it.

PS4 Controller.jpeg

On 1/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, Kane99 said:

I tried losing my Playstation 2 console controller back then and everything scattered. I didn't even know how to fix back all the buttons that fell out. 

I do not. Other than probably turning my console/controllers off and on or resetting them, I wouldn't be able to complete any repairs on them. If I did ever have a problem, I would always make sure to get in touch with the retailer I bought it from and let them repair it for me.

15 hours ago, Darth said:

I do not. Other than probably turning my console/controllers off and on or resetting them, I wouldn't be able to complete any repairs on them. If I did ever have a problem, I would always make sure to get in touch with the retailer I bought it from and let them repair it for me.

I later realized that's the same case with me because the first experience I had with trying to lose mine didn't end well for me or the console controller.