Register Now
Kane99

Dying light 2's story said to be 500 hours long

25 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Wow, I can't complain. The more game you have the better. The new Dying light will have a 500 hour long story. Or it's estimated to take that long. 

Read this news here: https://www.ign.com/articles/dying-light-2-will-take-at-least-500-hours-to-fully-complete?

Assuming that it's true I have to strongly disagree. Not only is 500 hours is ridiculous, but the only realistic way to achieve that is to pad the game with a bunch of bullshit filler and grinding.  How much of our free time do these fuckers want!?

In my opinion for an open world game campaign (not including post game content) the sweet spot is around 35 - 50 hours, then up to 100 -150 hours for 100%.

Edited by Crazycrab

I wonder how many gigabytes it's going to consume. I've been exited about this game and it seems to be a full plate for the fans. The game is oriented by how you play; you can make a morally good faction or go the other way and build a rogue faction. With all the game hours, I imagine it's split between the two choices. So 250 hours for each choice maybe. Or, hate to say it, but could be the wave of the future for gaming. Give us a ton of hours to complete in order to reach 500-600 hours of play to unlock NFT. But this game is on my list. Hmmm, I'm worried about bug issues with so many hours. So will I buy right awayt? Nope. 

I have 100% in Red Dead 2 and it absolutely doesn’t take 500 hours. 200ish including MP if you’re taking your time. 500 hours is just ludicrous and obviously going to be nothing but boring filler. So why made it that long, if the price is right then it's worth the money Xd 

500 hours of story and gameplay in one game? That sounds like metaverse. Because if they use conditional logic for NPCs to affect the story, each one of us would be in metaverse and each outcome would be random and different if they choose that way which makes it metaverse. 

500 hours?! - Is that including the DLCs? I don't know how they'd even accomplish that in the base game without adding lots of side quest and other filler missions. Btw, We always hear all kinds of rumors about what will be in Dying light 2 - What I want to know is when is this game going to come out? It keeps getting pushed back EVERY YEAR.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

500 hours?! - Is that including the DLCs? I don't know how they'd even accomplish that in the base game without adding lots of side quest and other filler missions. Btw, We always hear all kinds of rumors about what will be in Dying light 2 - What I want to know is when is this game going to come out? It keeps getting pushed back EVERY YEAR.

It doesn't look like the date will change this time. Maybe they finally got it all together. But with the so-called 500 hours, I fear the game will be bug ridden. I hate to jump to that conclusion and cast a shadow over their hard work, but I just have the feeling. I think this game release will speak volumes of what to expect for the year. Broken games, or a turn to optimism. 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

It doesn't look like the date will change this time. Maybe they finally got it all together. But with the so-called 500 hours, I fear the game will be bug ridden. I hate to jump to that conclusion and cast a shadow over their hard work, but I just have the feeling. I think this game release will speak volumes of what to expect for the year. Broken games, or a turn to optimism. 

It probably will be bug-ridden considering that's the trend nowadays. Come to think of it, I can't remember any games in the past few years that didn't follow this trend. As for the story, there's no telling if they made any changes midway through which also kills my excitement for this game. They've said the same thing about the date not changing in the pas but here we are so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.

How the hell are you supposed to even enjoy a game with a story that's that damn long? That's almost 21 full days. 500 divided by 24 is 20.83. That's the amount of time the story is. Are you willing to spend damn near to months worth of time just because the full story requires you to? And that's if you do no side tracking or thigs that you want to do that aren't part of the story.

Not only is it ridiculous, it's uncalled for, and insulting.

On 1/10/2022 at 5:55 AM, Empire said:

I have 100% in Red Dead 2 and it absolutely doesn’t take 500 hours. 200ish including MP if you’re taking your time. 500 hours is just ludicrous and obviously going to be nothing but boring filler. So why made it that long, if the price is right then it's worth the money Xd 

100%? Damn you have played it more than I have! And that's a feat! If I could get down into New Austin around Armadillo as Arthur and get a couple of the animals there into my compendium, I would love it. Unfortunately the only way I know to do that, is when Angelo Bronte sends you to investigate the cemetery. Instead you can ride into New Austin with John. But it takes forever. It's a glitch in the game, that I've seen others exploit. You just can't actually go to Blackwater itself. You have to avoid the towns. It's about a 50/50 shot as to whether you make it or not. You just have to be cautious.

As @egghead rightly points out, they've broken it down a bit more: it's actually only 420 hours of filler tripe. That's marginally better, even if I think 60 hours of side quests makes me wonder why they haven't got an editor to cut that down by at least half. Games entering the triple digits of hours better have a damn fine excuse for wasting that much dev time. 500 hours... and we wonder why crunch is 'a necessity.'

17 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Games entering the triple digits of hours better have a damn fine excuse for wasting that much dev time. 500 hours... and we wonder why crunch is 'a necessity.'

That's a good point. It seems they placed an abundance of resources in this game so let's hope it adds quality to the gameplay and not have the player travel across town for meet and greets. I think the reason for so many hours is because the game itself in it's missions allows you to choose to become a morally good community or become bandits and rule with force. So you need an abundance of missions to develop which direction you want to go. A game like that will probably have slip ups where you did something wrong, then have to build up again. That's what I imagine it will be like. 

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

As @egghead rightly points out, they've broken it down a bit more: it's actually only 420 hours of filler tripe. That's marginally better, even if I think 60 hours of side quests makes me wonder why they haven't got an editor to cut that down by at least half. Games entering the triple digits of hours better have a damn fine excuse for wasting that much dev time. 500 hours... and we wonder why crunch is 'a necessity.'

They seem to focus more on quantity but I hope the quality didn't suffer because of it. Those 420 hours better be worth it because there's no reason for the game to be that long unless it's broken up into multiple DLCs.