Register Now
Kane99

Building your own arcade cabinet

Has anyone here built their own arcade cabinet? I think it'd be a lot of fun to build my own. It'd probably be fairly easy to set one up, aside from me not having the carpentry skills to build my own stuff. All I would need otherwise is a LCD monitor or HDTV that could fit into a cabinet, and then I could use a raspberry pi and that would be all I'd really need. Of course I'd need to get some kind of arcade controllers setup. 

The only issue I'd have is the cabinet side of it. 

Has anyone here built their own arcade? 

I haven't built one before, but I have repaired several. The games I fixed were mostly older games like Joust, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong. I repaired a few of the newer ones  as well. Mostly fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. But I've never actually built one of my own. It wouldn't be hard to do. Especially if you went with an emulator console, and wired the arcade controls into the replica system controller.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:48 PM, Empire said:

Nope, and in fact I never even thought or have the intersts and funds to even do it Xd 

That's me anyway

I can't do it either and seeing how the pawn shops dont even bother with those machines .. I feel its like tech that has come to meet its slow death I suppose.

A lot of them are losing value. But the original ones from the 70's and 80's are holding their value. A rare few, if they're mint condition are slightly gaining value. But they're not worth their weight in gold. Pretty much anyone with the space and a little bit of disposable income could afford one.

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

A lot of them are losing value. But the original ones from the 70's and 80's are holding their value. A rare few, if they're mint condition are slightly gaining value. But they're not worth their weight in gold. Pretty much anyone with the space and a little bit of disposable income could afford one.

I'm tempted to buy one. I hope the prices drop some, so I can buy a couple. Just need to figure out where to put them if I ever do get any. 

23 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm tempted to buy one. I hope the prices drop some, so I can buy a couple. Just need to figure out where to put them if I ever do get any. 

I don't know your living situation, but if you have some sort of guest room, you could turn it into a man cave instead. You are a guy right? Or if you have a spacious living room (not sure what Europeans call it) you could possibly put some in there if you move a few things around. Again I'm making uneducated ideas. If you're in an apartment, then unless you're on the ground floor, I don't see you being able to get them up to your apartment without a hell of a lot of help unless your apartment building has an elevator. I've lived in a few apartments, so I know how much of a bitch it can be to get shit in there. personally, I would want to buy one that was a bit run down and either not working well, or not working at all, so I could repair it myself. That would be a great project for me. But right now, I'm fixing up and reselling bicycles, and doing a lot of weaving, so my plate is pretty full.

Either way, good luck with your purchases.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:14 PM, Justin11 said:

Now that AAA games have taken over, is there any need building an arcade of my own? I don't think so. It will be wise I catch up with learning how to make quality video games like AAA type. 

The problem is making modern games is that you have to keep up with engine. That's not the case for the old arcade type games though you can even run it on code only options. So if you want to go pure code without much engine dependency the old arcade machine and their respective games be forever be in demand.

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

The problem is making modern games is that you have to keep up with engine. That's not the case for the old arcade type games though you can even run it on code only options. So if you want to go pure code without much engine dependency the old arcade machine and their respective games be forever be in demand.

That's wonderful as you've said. I am not a coder, but I fancy being a programmer that inputs code in order to complete a set of instructions like developing a video game. Arcade development isn't all that demanding like the way modernized games demands. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's wonderful as you've said. I am not a coder, but I fancy being a programmer that inputs code in order to complete a set of instructions like developing a video game. Arcade development isn't all that demanding like the way modernized games demands. 

If you check some of the tools like scratch, stencyl, godot engine. You can easily code old "space invaders" and "mario" type game and turn your raspberry pi device into arcade type console. This has been my project for some time now. I have been making small to large screen boxes like this. I may continue to do so as long as I can code engine free games.

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

If you check some of the tools like scratch, stencyl, godot engine. You can easily code old "space invaders" and "mario" type game and turn your raspberry pi device into arcade type console. This has been my project for some time now. I have been making small to large screen boxes like this. I may continue to do so as long as I can code engine free games.

Interesting, this tools you're talking about, where can I get them in order to code the above-mentioned games?