Register Now
Kane99

What were the fastest developed games?

On 1/12/2022 at 10:51 AM, kingpotato said:

The first Mortal Kombat , as to what I understand it was made like in 10 months

And that game turned out good too. So not bad for 10 months work. I wonder if there was any other games done before that. I'm sure there are some who made short games in shorter periods of time. 

On 1/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, kingpotato said:

The first Mortal Kombat , as to what I understand it was made like in 10 months

They saved a bit of time buy using digitised actors when compared to something like Street Fighter 2 where the in game characters had to be animated.  Most big games of that era took about 18 - 24 to develop.  So 10 months was pretty quick but wildly unusual.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 1/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, Crazycrab said:

They saved a bit of time buy using digitised actors when compared to something like Street Fighter 2 where the in game characters had to be animated.  Most big games of that era took about 18 - 24 to develop.  So 10 months was pretty quick but wildly unusual.

I didn't even take that into consideration. But that makes sense. Street fighter had animations and art work for the most part. MK had those digitized actors. 

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

Street fighter had some good background scenes though. I must admit over the years they had that realistic feel in them.

Well it took 2 years to make street fighter 2 so its not exactly a fastest developed game, same goes for the first Super mario, I couldnt find any info on the first sonic game (I did like a 2 min search on google xD) Any way Like @Crazycrab mentioned 1-2 years was the average time back then. I did another quick search and I found a list of fast developed games, most them took around a year and some less than a year. But the one that really suprised me was Megaman 7 which took only 3 months, Ive never played it before but people are calling it one of the worst megaman games, which would explain the 3 month development time frame.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, Crazycrab said:

I'm just glad that it ever existed because back then, games weren't so violent until Mortal Kombat stepped onto the scene. The fact that people were in protest of this game's violence made me love it all the more.

9 hours ago, Empire said:

Super Smash Bros Melee was in development for 13 months and is widely considered a masterpiece. Tournament scene is still going strong.

So True - Smash Bros Melee will always be a masterpiece and one of my friends that still has his Gamecube invites me over to play every now and then. That game really has aged like fine wine.