Register Now
Kane99

Phil Spencer wants to ban toxic players on all platforms

Phil Spencer, the head honcho over at Xbox, recently came out and said he would like a system to one day be in place, where if a player is banned on one platform, he/she would be banned on all other platforms as well. I don't know how I feel about that. Because, one part of me is like, hell yeah, lets ban the hackers, racists and unruly children who constantly make it hell in a public lobby. But honestly, I just ignore public lobby chat these days so I don't hear the toxic shit that is spewed by many gamers. 

Do you think a person should be banned from all platforms if banned on one? I don't know. What if that person allows his children to play on one of their devices, and they act up causing all of their dads products to go offline due to a ban. Seems kinda messed up to ban everything. 

Now, if it's on a same network/company, I'd understand, but I think this will result in more problems than anything. What do you guys think? I'm all for banning toxic players, but idk if it should result in a ban everywhere. But idk, maybe they could use the excuse that you're also responsible for what your kids do. 

What's your opinion? 

You can read about this here - https://twinfinite.net/2022/01/phil-spencer-advocates-for-cross-platform-bans-against-toxic-users/

It's likely to get to that point especially the coming wave of intrusive abuse in VR that's going to get out of hand. And when it does they will look for solutions. I don't know how they will separate the network users in a household. If you think about it, allowing a bunch of strangers to gather online and hear each other chat like chickens is just a recipe for disaster. I don't see how it's possible to fix the monster they created even by banning them. Cause everyday there is a new person to take their place. 

I don't really know if that will be possible, because, the toxic players aren't marked by their username. A responsible gamer might change tomorrow band become toxic as well. Such, will result in more bans and causing rift in the video game online communities, the toxic users should be controlled and not insinuating on banning them permanently. 

If they start doing that, where does it end? If someone says one system sucks, would that be grounds for a ban from the disparaged company, and thus a ban on all? It seems like nazi tactics to force a full ban from everyone if someone else does it. And how do you prove that foul language is directed at the game? They may have something like their dog chewing up something important and they're hollering at it, but hadn't silenced their mic.

There are so many variables to this, that it's just not right in any way.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, The Blackangel said:

If they start doing that, where does it end? If someone says one system sucks, would that be grounds for a ban from the disparaged company, and thus a ban on all? It seems like nazi tactics to force a full ban from everyone if someone else does it. And how do you prove that foul language is directed at the game? They may have something like their dog chewing up something important and they're hollering at it, but hadn't silenced their mic.

There are so many variables to this, that it's just not right in any way.

I don't think you'd be banned for voicing opinions like what consoles are better. I think it's more for toxic players who are offensive, racist or hateful in some way. Also probably hackers and cheaters too. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't think you'd be banned for voicing opinions like what consoles are better. I think it's more for toxic players who are offensive, racist or hateful in some way. Also probably hackers and cheaters too. 

Those kind are definitely being watched for. But if some dev has their panties in a twist on any given day, you never know what will happen. They may just go on a ban trip, banning random players for no reason, and cooking one up later. People are assholes like that. I've seen this kind of thing firsthand.

And to think the precedent would initially originate from gaming.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were to evolve into a fully centralized system that will effectively ban you from any online website or platform if you're deemed a non-citizen, for whatever made up reason they came up with.

Most hardcore leftists would love to have people that don't think like them to be vanished from the internet, if not shot dead in real life.

2 hours ago, Empire said:

Most hardcore leftists would love to have people that don't think like them to be vanished from the internet, if not shot dead in real life.

Nope, I can't wrap my head around comments like this when most murders and terrorists attacks happen by right wingers. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/us-rightwing-extremists-attacks-deaths-database-leftwing-antifa

https://www.csis.org/analysis/escalating-terrorism-problem-united-states

TNT_Graphics_Web-01.thumb.jpg.084d78f3d2218701ac6c5533a2916b81.jpg

TNT_Graphics_Web-02.thumb.jpg.c4ccef2a56caca192fcc2cbb07fb0e64.jpg

200618_TNT_Graphics-03-2.thumb.jpg.7c9ecd1608b5c4347e87dff748f4d50d.jpg

Fact check: left-wing violence in the United States 

A new database by the Center for Strategic and International studies analyzed nearly 900 politically motivated plots and attacks in the US

Victims killed in anti-fascist attacks since 1994

Victims killed in left-wing violence since 2010

Victims killed in jihadist attacks since 2010

Victims killed in right-wing violence since 2010

Victims killed in right-wing violence since 1994

5 hours ago, Empire said:

Careful. You're starting an unfounded attack and offering no proof of any kind. If you have to attack someone in this fashion either do it in the political debate forum, or do it somewhere else.

Also, stay on topic. This is directed at both of you @Reality vs Adventure and @Empire. Duke it out in the debate forum.

On 1/13/2022 at 7:02 PM, The Blackangel said:

Those kind are definitely being watched for. But if some dev has their panties in a twist on any given day, you never know what will happen. They may just go on a ban trip, banning random players for no reason, and cooking one up later. People are assholes like that. I've seen this kind of thing firsthand.

idk, I don't see that happening nearly as much as one would think. Yeah there are bad developers and studios who ban users for dumb reasons. But I think the majority of the time they won't make a fuss unless people are actively trying to ruin the game or something. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

The real question is do you think that's going to put an end to toxic gamers in the gaming industry or Xbox platform? It's never going to be possible because new day comes a new toxic gamer. 

Well they will never be able to keep all toxic gamers out. We'll see a lot of them banned sure, but I'm sure a lot of these people would find a way to get through the ban and make new accounts. Not everyone will bother to do that, but I could see the serious ones finding a way. 

Xbox is about the same as Playstation, PC etc in terms of toxic players. Toxic gamers come from all aspects of gaming, not just one or the other consoles out there. We got toxic fanboys for PS and Xbox, toxic fanboys for Nintendo. Toxic gamers who just want to make games hell for others and so on. What I'm saying, is that toxic gamers are everywhere. 

That's why Phil Spencer had the idea to ban a person on all platforms instead of just one. But that's tough thing to do, as you have to consider who uses the other accounts. I mean some dad could have an Xbox One that is kicked offline because his son was trolling a kid in fortnite on Playstation or something. Maybe good old dad didn't do anything wrong, just used the xbox for streaming netflix. Now if that rule existed, and they used the same email/name/info, and they are banned on all devices. Where does it end? Does it mean all of our devices become rendered useless if we use the same account info at other sites? I get it's meant for just consoles and PC, and other gaming services, but what happens when it hits other services? 

You can try to get away from toxic gamers, but that doesn't always work. @Rain Dew had to switch servers last year on FF XIV due to a toxic guy on there. She rebuilt her FC, and retainers, but the guy recently found her again. And again, his toxicity came through as he harassed her once more.

She has reported this more than once, but it's obvious to both of us that nothing is being done. And I don't even play FF XIV. Also with all that damn text on the screen, I don't see how you're even able to play a game, but that's another topic.

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Well they will never be able to keep all toxic gamers out. We'll see a lot of them banned sure, but I'm sure a lot of these people would find a way to get through the ban and make new accounts. Not everyone will bother to do that, but I could see the serious ones finding a way. 

Xbox is about the same as Playstation, PC etc in terms of toxic players. Toxic gamers come from all aspects of gaming, not just one or the other consoles out there. We got toxic fanboys for PS and Xbox, toxic fanboys for Nintendo. Toxic gamers who just want to make games hell for others and so on. What I'm saying, is that toxic gamers are everywhere. 

That's why Phil Spencer had the idea to ban a person on all platforms instead of just one. But that's tough thing to do, as you have to consider who uses the other accounts. I mean some dad could have an Xbox One that is kicked offline because his son was trolling a kid in fortnite on Playstation or something. Maybe good old dad didn't do anything wrong, just used the xbox for streaming netflix. Now if that rule existed, and they used the same email/name/info, and they are banned on all devices. Where does it end? Does it mean all of our devices become rendered useless if we use the same account info at other sites? I get it's meant for just consoles and PC, and other gaming services, but what happens when it hits other services? 

Exactly what I was trying to say because no matter what measures that put in place, the only thing it can be able to do would be to reduce the rate at which toxic gamers show themselves.