Register Now
Shagger

Prominant Video Game Voice Actor Troy Baker Supports Company Selling Voice NFT's with Inevitable Backlash

I love Troy's work (Especially as Joel in TLOU), but what the hell was he thinking with this? These two video's from YongYea and ReviewTechUSA cover the story in detail, but basically this company Voiceverse NFT made a deal with Troy Baker to sell an NFT of his voice and not only did Try agree, he endorsed it on his own social media with a god awful statement.

Anybody remember season 2 of 24? Spoiler alert, but men representing oil interests made a fake recording of a terrorist meeting with officials for various countries to implicate those countries in a terrorism plot in the hope of starting a war. They did this through a guy that developed software that could make a person's voice say anything using just a sample of that persons voice. That used to be fiction, but now it's a true story just waiting to happen. That 24 example may be extreme, but anyone wo thinks that selling voice NFT's won't lead to some very nefarious use of someone's voice to implicate someone or try to ruin thier reputation is naïve. This has already gone too far. There is nothing about this that is good. It's bad for upcoming voice actors, jeopardises the quality and care of future game voice overs and is a risk for voice over actors to get involved with. It's bad, simple as that.

Shame on you, Troy. Still love you man, but you really didn't think this through, either that or you saw many 0's and didn't care for the implications that this might, and probably will, have on yourself and smaller voice actors as well, or you didn't care.

Edited by Shagger

Only a handful of voice actors are going to monopolize the market, and when their voices are used in harmful ways, would they even care if they got their pockets full? This is a greedy move for sure and this is a good example of when leaders in their profession fail at upholding standards and competition. YongYea is right by saying that every time someone even tries to explain NFT, it always just sounds the same and cultish. I've also thought the same about it. Not one person can ever explain the benefits of NFT without sounding like a used car salesman who knows that junk is gonna fall apart when you leave the parking lot. It's always a bit eery, like those old days selling you motor oil for hiccups. Are we still that stupid? Guess every generation is. It's always when we need diversity and people want diversity, when the complete opposite like this advances. How many voices can Troy actually do? Might as well have character NFT too where they all look alike, and just change the skin color. 

This makes me so angry. The Art world has already seen the immense harms caused by NFTs, the theft of work, IP, stealing from the dead, even threats of harm to Artists who speak out against them or fight to have their work removed from projects they had no part in. On top of that the environmental harm is horrible and happening at a time when the environment is already in peril. How do we get out of this timeline?!?

Yeah I don't quite understand why anyone would want to buy an NFT of someone's voice. Next thing we'll see random made clips that can be sold as NFTs. Next thing you know, tiktok will have their own NFT system where you can make your own NFT videos and sell them. Just wait, things are going to get crazy. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I don't quite understand why anyone would want to buy an NFT of someone's voice. Next thing we'll see random made clips that can be sold as NFTs. Next thing you know, tiktok will have their own NFT system where you can make your own NFT videos and sell them. Just wait, things are going to get crazy. 

Problem is with the new generation that thinks it's scarce. I don't see any image ever becoming scarce on internet. So image NFTs are useless. I give benefit of doubt to voice and video as people die after certain time so those can have value but images with pixelated art? useless at it's best.

It's definitely going to be all about the money that made Troy took such path. There is nothing money can't do for most people believe me. Maybe in the future, he would come out with another views based on what led to his decision. 

He responded about it here - https://www.ign.com/articles/troy-baker-nft-voiceverse

Idk, I get what he's saying. When he first heard about what was being done, and how it helped creators, he went in. But I think it was because of the way he announced it. idk, I still am not into the idea of NFTs, but I kinda get what he was saying here. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

He responded about it here - https://www.ign.com/articles/troy-baker-nft-voiceverse

Idk, I get what he's saying. When he first heard about what was being done, and how it helped creators, he went in. But I think it was because of the way he announced it. idk, I still am not into the idea of NFTs, but I kinda get what he was saying here. 

So in essence what he's trying to say is that all he did was being in support of it because they were going to be helping independent creators? Helping independent creators my ass!!! 

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

NFTs have its place but not in the gaming industry. We don't need anymore greedy monetization systems - we already have enough in this sphere.

Seriously, with the way we have been milked by their loot boxes and microtransactions, they still want to get in NTFs. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It feels like everyone is jumping into nfts.  There's even rumors now that YouTube wants to give their creators the options to use nfts. Idk how that would go. 

It's actually what happens when a trend comes out. Everyone would like to take part in it and then pull out later if it's not worth it.