Register Now
Shagger

Xbox to Buy Activision-Blizzard for $68.7 Billion.

16 hours ago, Techno said:

Here is how many studious they know own.

16 hours ago, Boblee said:

Xbox is currently becoming a big force to reckon with in the gaming industry over the years now. 

12 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

That's not going to bother him, the fucking leech will be sure to give himself a massive going away present.

I apologize in advance for my pessimism but I'm not feeling good about this.  What Microsoft are doing is monopolistic and greedy, not to mention it's going to gate off even more content for gamers on other platforms like Nintendo and PlayStation.

I don't think it's a good business move for Microsoft either.  Even with Activision Blizzard's share price down $68 billion is MASSIVE amount of money even for a corporation with pockets as deep as Microsoft.  If they keep doing this XBox is just going to turn in to a massive hemorrhage that will constantly need to be resupplied with blood and oxygen from the rest of Microsoft's business.

Maybe I'm being to cynical here but I really don't like where this is going.

I get the concerns people might have about this becoming a monopoly, but even with this acquisition of Activision-Blizzard, Microsoft are still a long way from that point. They will still only rank third in terms of the largest gaming conglomerates (Behind Tencent and Sony) and there are still a lot of major video game publishers still operating outside of those three. EA, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Take Two, Capcom and CD Project Red to name a few. How long the situation will remain that way remains to be seen, but I'm not overly concerned about a monopoly just yet.

Edited by Shagger

10 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

That's not going to bother him, the fucking leech will be sure to give himself a massive going away present.

I apologize in advance for my pessimism but I'm not feeling good about this.  What Microsoft are doing is monopolistic and greedy, not to mention it's going to gate off even more content for gamers on other platforms like Nintendo and PlayStation.

I don't think it's a good business move for Microsoft either.  Even with Activision Blizzard's share price down $68 billion is MASSIVE amount of money even for a corporation with pockets as deep as Microsoft.  If they keep doing this XBox is just going to turn in to a massive hemorrhage that will constantly need to be resupplied with blood and oxygen from the rest of Microsoft's business.

Maybe I'm being to cynical here but I really don't like where this is going.

In your opinion, what would have been the best way forward for Activision Blizzard since it's very obvious they aren't going to get out easy from the whole mess? 

14 hours ago, Darth said:

Pretty big news and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of it. Makes sense for them and I'm sure they got a good deal out of it thanks to the recent controversies. Looking forward to the addition of some of their games to the Xbox Game Pass now.

Xbox have already acquired a lot companies and their studios of late. I just hope they don't bite more that they can easily chew. 

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I get the concerns people might have about this becoming a monopoly, but even with this acquisition of Activision-Blizzard, Microsoft are still a long way from that point. They will still only rank third in terms of the largest gaming conglomerates (Behind Tencent and Sony) and there are still a lot of major video game publishers still operating outside of those three. EA, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Take Two, Capcom and CD Project Red to name a few. How long the situation will remain that way remains to be seen, but I'm not over concerned about a monopoly just yet.

On the notes of them (Xbox) having monopoly, it's not possible for now as they still have a reasonable number of companies like you mentioned out there still making and publishing games at will. Eventually, when monopoly kicks, then we can all say goodbye to freewill in what we play but what's given to us. 

17 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

In some circles, that's already happened. Bobby "I'll have you killed" Kotick still remains in charge, and even if his six month contract comes to an end, he'll leave with a god-almighty severance package after years of abusive and neglectful behaviour inflicted upon his staff.

17 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Capital. Good riddance, though I suspect any tears caused by our jeering will be wiped away with the millions of dollars he'll retire on, unless he finds 'work' elsewhere. 🤢

14 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

You 3 need to understand that this whole controversy is a foreign country subverting U.S. Yes, the allegations are horrendous, but it could've been avoided if they hadn't taken money from a certain country, which is China... none of this would've happened. 

1. Activision has relationships with Tencent. Likewise, THEY bought shares in Activision. 

2. Activision created a Shanghai division. 

3. California law requires you to have an "inclusive" executive. Here's the link if you don't believe me. This is akin to having a CCP member inside companies that operates in China..

4. There's a law called "Senate Bill 145" in California. It allows for sexual misconduct to go really, really low. I'm not going to say it out loud here. You're gonna have to find it yourself. This is why the PlayStation executive was fired. 

5. Some Activision employees have ties with Riot Games.

Connect the dots and you'll realize that all this stuff is because people aren't paying attention to what's going on. 

Microsoft can easily clean all of it up. I wrote an article about this recently, but I won't link here because I don't know how @DC feels about it.

Anyway, next time... don't react to stupid controversy like this, its OBVIOUS that this is subversion. 

Edited by Carlos X

7 hours ago, Carlos X said:

You 3 need to understand that this whole controversy is a foreign country subverting U.S. Yes, the allegations are horrendous, but it could've been avoided if they hadn't taken money from a certain country, which is China... none of this would've happened. 

1. Activision has relationships with Tencent. Likewise, THEY bought shares in Activision. 

3. California law requires you to have an "inclusive" executive. Here's the link if you don't believe me. This is akin to having a CCP member inside companies that operates in China..

4. There's a law called "Senate Bill 145" in California. It allows for sexual misconduct to go really, really low. I'm not going to say it out loud here. You're gonna have to find it yourself. This is why the PlayStation executive was fired. 

Connect the dots and you'll realize that all this stuff is because people aren't paying attention to what's going on. 

Microsoft can easily clean all of it up. I wrote an article about this recently, but I won't link here because I don't know how @DC feels about it.

Anyway, next time... don't react to stupid controversy like this, its OBVIOUS that this is subversion. 

The first thing I wanted to say is that I was very close to deleting this post entirely as it really has almost nothing to do with the topic at hand. I decided against this as I wanted to address the post because I found it as interesting as I did worrying.

With all due respect, I think you dropped your tin foil hat, and you're talking nonsense. And, to be frank, this looks a little concerning from a perspective analysis of prejudice and one's understanding of other cultures. Sexual harrasment and discrimination may happen in China, but it isn't something indigenous to the Chinese anymore than it is anywhere else, including America. So you attributing Activision-Blizzard's "issues" to a rather vague association with a single Chinese company sets of alarm bells to me about you. Your claim doesn't have any evidence to back it up and makes no sense.

First, both Activision and Blizzard have been in business longer that Tencent and the allegations stretch well before any alleged Chinese influence was imparted to them be it from Tencent or otherwise. How the hell could Tencent be responsible for these problems at Activision-Blizzard before the company even existed?

Secondly, lots of American companies have offices and holdings in various countries around the world to run local interests and markets. Why is Activision-Blizzard's holdings in China a sign of "subversion" when thier holdings in France, Holland, the UK, Australia, Singapore, The Netherlands, Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Ireland, Canada, Korea and the list goes on not suspect at all (Source of that information)? This is just how huge companies like Activision-Blizzard operate. For your own sake, come back to reality.

Thirdly, just because a Chinese company has a stake in an American business, doesn't change the management structure or how the business is run and organised. Control like that is only handed over when a shareholder (or group of shareholders) attain majority control. Tencent owns less than 5% of Activision, trust me, they get NO say in how the business is run day to day, especially on US based infrastructure. Tencent also own around 4% of Tesla, so why hasn't this so called "influence" created similar problems with them? Face it, you're talking a load of shit here.

Next, yes, there is a law is says California that states that a certain number of board members need to be woman. An American law that has absolutely nothing to do with China, or any other country for that matter. And that law is no bad thing either. It's there to try and kill off the kind of toxic, discriminatory culture that has plagued American businesses for decades. The very same culture that landed Activision-Blizzard in such hot water in the first place. All that you have proven there is that the system, despite being in place for the right reasons, maybe doesn't work that well. Either way, it clearly has nothing to do with China, nor does it tie into this weird subversion theory, or anything to do anything else in this thread frankly...

And that brings me neatly to my final point, and I am going back to mod speak to some extent here. Please present evidence to back up your points that is actually relevant to the topic. Like I said, very little of what you have posted here has anything at all to do with the topic at hand anyway, but how is bringing up a (now former) PlayStation executive attempting to groom a minor got anything at all to do with Xbox buying Activision-Blizzard? Or the ridiculous claim that China is in some way responsible for Activision-Blizzard's "frat boy" work culture that has got them in trouble? Or this alleged subversion that, frankly, sounds like the sort of thing American, right-wing conspiracy nuts would print about the Soviets back in the 70's and 80's? None of these things make any sense on thier own, much less together! If you want to discuss this "subversion" or what happened with regards to that PlayStation executive, reply to or create new threads for them in the appropriate sub-forum, don't attempt to derail this or any other topic again.

Edited by Shagger

4 hours ago, Carlos X said:

I would really like to read the article which you had written on this if you don't mind. Kindly drop the link for me in my pchat. Thank you!! 

And gamepass gets more expanded. Honestly this is a huge move for Microsoft. A scary one for gamers and the gaming industry as a whole. Some of the biggest franchises possibly not releasing on PlayStation. And some past exclusives dropping to MS now. It's crazy. 

I didn't see it coming either. I don't think anyone did. 

But, it does feel like a big monopoly is brewing here and I don't like it. What studios do you think they'll try to go for next? 

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

The first thing I wanted to say is that I was very close to deleting this post entirely as it really has almost nothing to do with the topic at hand. I decided against this as I wanted to address the post because I found it as interesting as I did worrying.

Not gonna lie, Shagger, despite our differing opinions on this news I do appreciate what you did there as moderator. What you followed up with is a staggeringly good response, I envy you for having the time and energy to be diplomatic regarding that response.

China has its own problems, of that nobody here has any doubt, but we don't need to use this acquisition to go on xenophobic tirades that I'd expect from the Disqus comment boards of other websites. My faith in this forum is being rapidly restored of late.

Back on topic, in response to @Kane99 I fully expected Activision-Blizzard to have the net thrown over them, but by which company and when was difficult. I was prepared for any other company such as Electronic Arts, Take-Two, THQ Nordic... anyone before Acti-Blizz. But this goes to show that just about anyone's for sale (barring Nintendo and Sony), and it's scary to think Microsoft might become the next THQ or EA: swallowing up IPs and not doing anything with them. Add to that they're a console manufacturer and are likely viewing things beyond the 'console wars,' and there may be more than just gaming companies up for grabs.

I can see using King properties such as Candy Crush: Saga to generate revenue from the amount of money they've spent, which means Xbox on your mobile, everywhere you go. That's a huge leap in market control.

Edited by Withywarlock

I personally gave up on blizzard with WoW. It was a horrendous game in my opinion, and was showing me just how far they were sliding down the shit pile. The last game they put out that was even worth consideration of buying was Diablo II.

While they obviously have other titles, Activision seems to almost focus on CoD titles exclusively. I understand that it's a wildly successful franchise, but their attempts to branch out with Tony Hawk and Skylanders is sub par at best. And for those of us who can't play war/military games, they don't have much of anything to offer.

If Microsoft thinks they can make a dollar and/or save Activision/Blizzard then I say go for it. It may come back to bite them in the ass, but either way I hope they learn from it.

And with the monopoly discussion, I do have to agree. It seems they're trying to get as close to a monopoly as they legally can. They'll never get their hands on longtime exclusives like Mario and Zelda. Nintendo would burn them to the ground before they would let anyone else have them. They already made that mistake with disastrous results. PlayStation isn't going to release GoW without one hell of a fight either.

My biggest worry here, is that at some point they will acquire Take-Two, and thus Rockstar. My thoughts on Rockstar as well known here, and I don't want to see one of my favorite franchise's end up as an Xbox exclusive.

2 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Not gonna lie, Shagger, despite our differing opinions on this news I do appreciate what you did there as moderator. What you followed up with is a staggeringly good response, I envy you for having the time and energy to be diplomatic regarding that response.

China has its own problems, of that nobody here has any doubt, but we don't need to use this acquisition to go on xenophobic tirades that I'd expect from the Disqus comment boards of other websites. My faith in this forum is being rapidly restored of late.

If I had seen it in time, I would have said something as well. But after reading the response @Shagger gave, there was nothing left for me to add. He summed it all up perfectly.

Don't you dare call out my ignorance when it's clear you have at the very a marginal and very selective understand of it yourself.  I'm no fan of China or the CCP but the actions of Activision-Blizzard have nothing directly to do with them.  You've posted zero evidence of any of this but I'm just going to go in with blind assumption roll with it anyway.

Corporations buy and sell shares to and from other companies all the time.  There's some companies that generate their entire revenue by doing JUST this.  It's got nothing to with the actions or inactions of Bobby Kotick or anyone at Activision-Blizzard when it comes to these allegations.

You mean they took the opportunity to set up shop in the world's largest and fastest growing market!  THOSE.... BASTARDS!!!!  Seriously pal, I would actually call into question any corporation that hasn't done this!

The link you post is an opinion piece about a bill that requires a 3/2 3/3 gender split for corporate boards.  It's bias and has nothing to do with with China, the CCP or anything under discussion here!

First of all, if YOU are making the claim, YOUR the one with the responsibility of providing the information to support your claims.  I legitimately don't know what you mean with "It allows for sexual misconduct to go really, really low" .  I'll look it up for myself this time but I won't be doing it again.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB145

Ok.... So it's basically the sex offenders register for US state of California.  So how exactly does this allow for sexual misconduct to go really, really low?  What is low sexual misconduct? Why is low?  Is high sexual misconduct worse?  Can you explain ANYTHING?

Not that any of that relay matters because, once again.  WHAT HAS ANY OF THIS GOT TO DO WITH CHINA!

Did the executive vice-president of Activision's wife have an affair with the milkman who also banged his roommate who delivered doughnuts to the head of Riot's QA department who's son once wrote an online review of the remake of the Karate Kid starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan which was filmed on location in China?

I'm know I'm sounding like a broken record here but what's your point?  What are these connections?  Who are the people involved?  Before you start yes I know that Riot is owned by Tencent but what the fuck has that got to do with the accusations at Activision even if people at both companies communicate?

Anyway, next time... don't react to stupid controversy like this, its OBVIOUS that this is subversion

FUCK YOU!  The connections between Activision-Blizzard and China that you are presenting are linked with dry spaghetti at best and are non-existant at worst, and your calling me out for being blind?  Don't quote or @Crazycrabme unless you present done arguments that have substance or your at least not to lazy as to expect everyone else to fill the blanks in your own bullshit for you.

Crazycrab out.

Edited by Crazycrab

I think we all should be concerned with the monopolization of the gaming world because Microsoft and Amazon are on that path. Then Meta getting in on it makes those big three a force that is going to cost us all a lot more to game in the future. It's never a good idea when a corporation can buy up who they want and eliminate competition, at the same time being a publisher and make consoles. And when the gaming world gets consolidated, you get more anti unionization which worsens the work environment, and then as a consumer you have to be even more aware of where corporate lobbying money is going. The gaming world sure is ripe for power grabs and exploitation because it's a profitable industry especially since Covid has actually boosted that market with more gamers. 

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

- I hate the way IPB handles quotes, so I'll just respond INSIDE quotes. I see your title as "moderator," so I'll just try to be respectful. So, I'll introduce myself, I am a "journalist." In fact, I could write for VGR if I so wanted to. 

With all due respect, I think you dropped your tin foil hat, and you're talking nonsense. And, to be frank, this looks a little concerning from a perspective analysis of prejudice and one's understanding of other cultures. Sexual harrasment and discrimination may happen in China, but it isn't something indigenous to the Chinese anymore than it is anywhere else, including America. So you attributing Activision-Blizzard's "issues" to a rather vague association with a single Chinese company sets of alarm bells to me about you. Your claim doesn't have any evidence to back it up and makes no sense.

- I assure you, THIS is not tin-foil. Let me ask you a question: Why do you think companies are going woke where you're located? Why do you think that Twitter is a cesspool of garbage people? Why do you think you're canceled? Why do you think you get censored on social media? I will tell you: Most companies today. RIGHT NOW... are woke. Its not even an accident, that companies today are doing these... sexual... misconduct.. Activision is just one of many companies hit by sexual assault allegations. Ubisoft got hit by this. PlayStation got hit by this albeit in a small way, but they got hit. Riot Games' toxic workplace is because they are directly owned by ...China. 

Why? Because in ORDER to do business in China. In order to BE a business in China. You NEED to have a CCP member inside your company. If you don't follow this rule, they will tarnish your reputation as a person, as a brand, AND AS A BUSINESS. I will go into depth about this later, because this is a recurring theme of the entire reply. 

First, both Activision and Blizzard have been in business longer that Tencent and the allegations stretch well before any alleged Chinese influence was imparted to them be it from Tencent or otherwise. How the hell could Tencent be responsible for these problems at Activision-Blizzard before the company even existed?

- I know that. Activision is the world's first Video Game publisher, before the term was even coined. Literally the world's first game publisher. 

Activision released Call of Duty Online in China, handled by... Tencent. Following that, Call of Duty Mobile was released, handled by Tencent. People complain that they are needlessly banned from using either product... OUTSIDE of China. I'll explain why in a minute. This is part of the censorship I explained earlier. 

Secondly, lots of American companies have offices and holdings in various countries around the world to run local interests and markets. Why is Activision-Blizzard's holdings in China a sign of "subversion" when thier holdings in France, Holland, the UK, Australia, Singapore, The Netherlands, Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Ireland, Canada, Korea and the list goes on not suspect at all (Source of that information)? This is just how huge companies like Activision-Blizzard operate. For your own sake, come back to reality.

- Yes, I understand that they run operations outside of U.S., however, you're missing the point. China is selling propaganda INSIDE China, AND censoring YOUR games... to appease the CCP's censors. You see this in films already. Why do you think films are trash? I have a video for you if you're interested:

Damn. That embed is yuge. Sorry, but yeah... laowhy86 and Serpentza both traveled to China. I trust their experiences in China, they even have TONS of footage in China. Excellent channels. 

Thirdly, just because a Chinese company has a stake in an American business, doesn't change the management structure or how the business is run and organised. Control like that is only handed over when a shareholder (or group of shareholders) attain majority control. Tencent owns less than 5% of Activision, trust me, they get NO say in how the business is run day to day, especially on US based infrastructure. Tencent also own around 4% of Tesla, so why hasn't this so called "influence" created similar problems with them? Face it, you're talking a load of shit here.

- Yeah, actually... yeah. Their stake in American businesses damage the quality of their products to appease the CCP government, yes. 

I'll link you to the list of gaming companies that are owned by China: https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/

Riot Games is 100 Percent. Epic Games is 2nd best, with 40 percent. And yes, Activision is 5 percent, but issue is as I stated before: 1. Call of Duty Online (mentioned), 2. Call of Duty Mobile (mentioned), 3. Activision Shanghai (mentioned, but the thing is, THIS IS directly impacting INSIDE China. As I said before: You. Need. A. CCP. Member. inside. the company.), 4. Ties with Riot Games, which we've just established that they are 100 percent owned, operated by China.

As for Tesla? Tesla just launched a company and factory in China. Once again: Tesla, has to have a CCP member in the company IN China. No if or buts. If you go outside of that rule, they trash your brand. It's happened already, Elon Musk is bowing, and taking a knee to the CCP. 

Next, yes, there is a law is says California that states that a certain number of board members need to be woman. An American law that has absolutely nothing to do with China, or any other country for that matter. And that law is no bad thing either. It's there to try and kill off the kind of toxic, discriminatory culture that has plagued American businesses for decades. The very same culture that landed Activision-Blizzard in such hot water in the first place. All that you have proven there is that the system, despite being in place for the right reasons, maybe doesn't work that well. Either way, it clearly has nothing to do with China, nor does it tie into this weird subversion theory, or anything to do anything else in this thread frankly...

- Most politicians in California, and United States are corrupt. They ARE working with the CCP. Hell, General Milley even called CCP to warn them they won't attack China! I've been following this story for as long as the pandemic started. Because it AFFECTS ME. I moved from California in 2018!

And that brings me neatly to my final point, and I am going back to mod speak to some extent here. Please present evidence to back up your points that is actually relevant to the topic. Like I said, very little of what you have posted here has anything at all to do with the topic at hand anyway, but how is bringing up a (now former) PlayStation executive attempting to groom a minor got anything at all to do with Xbox buying Activision-Blizzard? Or the ridiculous claim that China is in some way responsible for Activision-Blizzard's "frat boy" work culture that has got them in trouble? Or this alleged subversion that, frankly, sounds like the sort of thing American, right-wing conspiracy nuts would print about the Soviets back in the 70's and 80's? None of these things make any sense on thier own, much less together! If you want to discuss this "subversion" or what happened with regards to that PlayStation executive, reply to or create new threads for them in the appropriate sub-forum, don't attempt to derail this or any other topic again.

Here is my proof: https://carlosx360.medium.com/introducing-myself-carlosx360-6de80905d34e (Links are in the article itself. No, it's not my site, it's just a medium post, not my website, which is what I was afraid of linking.)

I was not trying to derail the thread, I was trying to wake people up from the Corporate America problems. It's related to the thread at hand. Look at the press release, even. Microsoft Gaming is using "inclusivity" messaging to speak to the government of California. Read it. Connect the dots. The "him/her" detonation is right there. front and center. Microsoft is HQ'ed in Seattle, Activision is in California. 

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

- This is not "xenophobic." If you want to be blind, go for it. I'm trying to help people, but you guys really don't care. You guys think I'm here to stir things up. But, I'm really not trying to. If you want to stay stuck in this mindset, then I'll drop it, but I don't appreciate the "xenophobic" crap you spewed. 

Back on topic, in response to @Kane99 I fully expected Activision-Blizzard to have the net thrown over them, but by which company and when was difficult. I was prepared for any other company such as Electronic Arts, Take-Two, THQ Nordic... anyone before Acti-Blizz. But this goes to show that just about anyone's for sale (barring Nintendo and Sony), and it's scary to think Microsoft might become the next THQ or EA: swallowing up IPs and not doing anything with them. Add to that they're a console manufacturer and are likely viewing things beyond the 'console wars,' and there may be more than just gaming companies up for grabs.

I can see using King properties such as Candy Crush: Saga to generate revenue from the amount of money they've spent, which means Xbox on your mobile, everywhere you go. That's a huge leap in market control.

I'm sorry you feel this way about me, and want to hate me enough for a moderator to come in here and get aggressive. I even had this person say "Fuck you!" Like... calm down.

Where did this hate come from? 

Edited by Carlos X