Register Now
Shagger

Xbox to Buy Activision-Blizzard for $68.7 Billion.

2 minutes ago, Boblee said:

That's good news then for other gaming platforms gamers to still enjoy the COD game series. 

Did they happen to state their reason for not making it exclusive to Xbox? 

Not that I'm aware of, although I have a sneaking suspicion it was some government suggestions that made it happen.

COD remaining a multiplatform title (for the foreseeable future) was pretty much established because of contractual obligations Activision had with PlayStation and other partners. So you see, COD remains, (again, for now) a multiplatform not because Xbox wanted it that way, but because they had too. It's good PR to acknowledge the inevitable as if you're considering the customer, but come on! You would have to blind to not realise this is not going to last.

1 minute ago, Techno said:

Not that I'm aware of, although I have a sneaking suspicion it was some government suggestions that made it happen.

If that's the case, they should know that the government getting involved in game's business never ends well. 

Just now, Shagger said:

COD remaining a multiplatform title (for the foreseeable future) was pretty much established because of contractual obligations Activision had with PlayStation and other partners. So you see, COD remains, (again, for now) a multiplatform not because Xbox wanted it that way, but because they had too. It's good PR to acknowledge the inevitable as if you're considering the customer, but come on! You would have to blind to not realise this is not going to last.

Definitely, I feel the same way when it comes to how long its going to last before Xbox pulls the plug on it. 

All Microsoft is trying to do is appease those that are investigating this purchase by not making COD an exclusive, as of now that is. At the same time there are tech wars now going on as Microsoft as well as Meta are attacking Apple and Google. Microsoft is trying to throw the spotlight on Apple for their fees in using the Gamepass app and the reason is because Microsoft is trying to justify using their own apps in the Microsoft store, which throws out competition by favoring their own. So what is to stop Microsoft to completely reduce all app fees in their own store to favor developers and destroy the competition of Apple, which includes those fees? That's why Apple, Google, and even Steam is being attacked now for charging developers a 30% fee to use their app software. And Microsoft actually has reduced their store app fee cost from 30% to 12%. That sounds all fine and dandy to developers, but this isn't the right kind of competition. I included in this topic because it shows that Microsoft is clearly bumping heads with antitrust laws, and attacking other tech companies to justify their actions. Along with Meta blaming Apple for financial loss. We are going to see many tech wars as I believe is part of a larger humanity crisis where some in government want to protect consumers, while others believe a monopoly favors their tyrannical designs. 

The American Innovation and Choice Online Act is now going to the senate. "It would prohibit Big Tech companies from favoring their own services in an anti-competitive way, something smaller tech companies have accused companies like Apple, Google, Amazon and Meta of doing for years." 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-takes-swipe-at-apple-and-google-with-new-app-store-rules-203417146.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tech-antitrust-bill-headed-senate-182326835.html

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/2992

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's always going to favor Microsoft more when they make the Call of Duty games an exclusive to their platform. They are never going to pass up the opportunity. 

It's more of a business move because them making COD an exclusive would probably push people towards the Battlefield franchise as crap as it is currently.

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's more of a business move because them making COD an exclusive would probably push people towards the Battlefield franchise as crap as it is currently.

Seriously, and that's one thing that most gamers would really hate to do right now - being forced into Battlefield franchise. 

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

Seriously, and that's one thing that most gamers would really hate to do right now - being forced into Battlefield franchise. 

I think it's more along the lines of wanting to play with friends on any platform of their choosing. EA has really screwed up Battlefield this year (not that much of a surprise really) and if they do the same next year, Battlefield will really start falling behind COD.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, Shagger said:

Yup. I don't know how long they are contracted for, but I bet it's quite a while. But once that contract ends, MS will for sure make it exclusive to their consoles and probably PC. 

Would be crazy if they actually honored their word and allowed those games to stay multiplatform. But they said the same thing about Bethesda games and I'm pretty sure they already stated future games would be exclusive to Xbox but already announced/soon to be released games would still drop on all consoles. 

28 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Yup. I don't know how long they are contracted for, but I bet it's quite a while. But once that contract ends, MS will for sure make it exclusive to their consoles and probably PC. 

Would be crazy if they actually honored their word and allowed those games to stay multiplatform. But they said the same thing about Bethesda games and I'm pretty sure they already stated future games would be exclusive to Xbox but already announced/soon to be released games would still drop on all consoles. 

COD is different as it's a huge franchise so making that an exclusive only hurts Xbox and they're not going to hurt their own pockets.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

COD is different as it's a huge franchise so making that an exclusive only hurts Xbox and they're not going to hurt their own pockets.

It's only going to affect them on the short run till they get the game series under wraps again and having it as exclusive would better them more. 

5 minutes ago, Heatman said:

It's only going to affect them on the short run till they get the game series under wraps again and having it as exclusive would better them more. 

I have to disagree because of the sheer popularity of the series - in most other scenarios, they can make other games an exclusive because they'd gain from it. However, in the case of COD, they'd lose a lot more by making it an exclusive. I can see them making it a timed exclusive but turning it into an exclusive will turn people away from the series.

Just now, killamch89 said:

I have to disagree because of the sheer popularity of the series - in most other scenarios, they can make other games an exclusive because they'd gain from it. However, in the case of COD, they'd lose a lot more by making it an exclusive. I can see them making it a timed exclusive but turning it into an exclusive will turn people away from the series.

There is possibility that might happen or not happen. It's all open to share open chance in my opinion. Although, it's definitely not going to stop Xbox gamers to stop playing the series.