Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why don’t more video game voice actors get jobs on TV/film?

I don't think it's really anything in particular. I think most voice actors fall in with a certain side of acting. Voice actors in gaming, probably start off doing voice acting in cartoons and other media. They may start off doing voice over work for ads for all we know. But, I'm sure most voice actors aren't opposed to working on bigger projects. I think it's more to do with the fact that they're voice actors and really the only thing they tend to work on, are cartoons, voice over for ads or video games. What else do voice actors do? I mean, I doubt most of them want to do live action acting, on camera. Some voice actors probably love the comfort of being in a small boxy room, doing voice over work with no one really staring at them, or having a camera in their face. 

Some voice actors probably could easily make the move to live action acting, but do we know if these voice actors are capable of actually acting? Like the movement, the style, the facial movements, etc. Acting in live action movies and tv isn't about just the voice, it's about what you can do with your face and body to make the role as real and authentic as possible. Voice actors rely on animators and people to code them, or use mocap suits to record them. Yeah some voice actors do mocap work themselves, which is great, but that doesn't necessarily equate to acting in movies and tv. 

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't think it's really anything in particular. I think most voice actors fall in with a certain side of acting. Voice actors in gaming, probably start off doing voice acting in cartoons and other media. They may start off doing voice over work for ads for all we know. But, I'm sure most voice actors aren't opposed to working on bigger projects. I think it's more to do with the fact that they're voice actors and really the only thing they tend to work on, are cartoons, voice over for ads or video games. What else do voice actors do? I mean, I doubt most of them want to do live action acting, on camera. Some voice actors probably love the comfort of being in a small boxy room, doing voice over work with no one really staring at them, or having a camera in their face. 

Some voice actors probably could easily make the move to live action acting, but do we know if these voice actors are capable of actually acting? Like the movement, the style, the facial movements, etc. Acting in live action movies and tv isn't about just the voice, it's about what you can do with your face and body to make the role as real and authentic as possible. Voice actors rely on animators and people to code them, or use mocap suits to record them. Yeah some voice actors do mocap work themselves, which is great, but that doesn't necessarily equate to acting in movies and tv. 

That's the real truth. Not everyone is built for acting as it takes a lot of work to be good at that in real performance than just doing it behind the scenes over just a voice.