Register Now
GeppyX

Should Nintendo focus more on having powerful hardware?

I don't understand why Nintendo has always been behind. That wasn't always the case. What changed? N64 had more bits than PS1. I'm not sayin it was better hardware, but they could at least claim they held their own.  I think the GameCube had good graphics. Ever since Wii, Nintendo has always been behind. 

Is there a reason for this? Is it because they cared about about standing out with things like motion control from the Wii? Are they hurting financially? 

They're not hurting financially in any way. They're trying to be innovative. They've been pioneers in the video gaming industry since the early 1980's. The hardware of the Switch, while compact, isn't much behind the PS4 and Xbox One, assuming it is at all. It still plays some of the biggest games that they do. Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed, and a plethora of others. So while they console is smaller, it's no less powerful.

With their earlier systems, they never really had much competition. Sega was their first competitor, and, while it did ok, it never reached the level Nintendo was on. After that PlayStation came out. In the beginning they weren't a match for the N64. But they got some titles that were exclusive to them, some of which Nintendo had had for every previous entry (Final Fantasy) and their popularity took off. Then Microsoft entered the gaming world with the Xbox. Gaming started moving forward at an accelerated speed that was unexpected.

So Nintendo is on par with its competition. It's just going on a bit of a different path with its consoles.

They don't have to. The thing about the Switch, is that it works how it was intended. It may be behind the powerhouse Xbox and PS5, but that doesn't mean it can't play a lot of great games. 

You have to consider the Switch as a gameboy/console hybrid. And that's probably the best of both worlds. Considering the 3DS, DS and Gameboy brands have sold a shit ton over the years, it's perfect to combine that with a home console and it works so well. I think it's close to overselling the Wii, or it may have already. It's one of the best selling consoles ever. 

Yeah I agree with everyone else here, they dont really need to since their current console is a portable hybrid. The Wii U was their main console before and that had to compete with the PS4 and Xbox one, and one of the reasons why the Wii U failed is because its graphics didnt hold up against the other two consoles. But now that the Switch is on a different market they dont need to rely on graphics

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Like everyone else here said - they're competing a totally different market so they don't need to have the most powerful hardware as long as the games are of a very high quality and fun to play.

I feel like they still fit into the main gaming market, even though they fit into their own. No matter what though. Nintendo will survive just fine no matter what direction they go in, as long as they make products that work and are fun to play. 

Zelda and Mario will keep gamers coming back to Nintendo for as long as they keep putting out games. There are gamers who only like those two franchises and are only willing to play them as far as Nintendo goes. So they keep up going forward with their two main mascots, and gamers will stay with them.

33 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Zelda and Mario will keep gamers coming back to Nintendo for as long as they keep putting out games. There are gamers who only like those two franchises and are only willing to play them as far as Nintendo goes. So they keep up going forward with their two main mascots, and gamers will stay with them.

And their most famous franchises like the Mario Kart Series or Smash. The Mario party games are also pretty fun.

On 2/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, Justin11 said:

Even if I am yet to play any of Nintendo video games, I still see them as a top video game, due to how people speaks about them in high esteem. 

You should check out most of their games as they are top on the list when it comes to building games. You will be glad you did!

11 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

You should check out most of their games as they are top on the list when it comes to building games. You will be glad you did!

I've seen lots of Nintendo games, especially the switch versions. I will definitely play it one day, at the moment I don't have any Nintendo, and I'm not considering it now. 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, The Blackangel said:

I highly recommend everyone give Nintendo a few shots. If for nothing else try out one of the Mario games and one of the Zelda games. From there, find your preferred genre and go nuts. Like @Knight Barida said, you'll definitely be glad you ventured in.

The Mario games will surely keep any gamer glued to their gaming device for long.

They wanted to make something unique and they did exactly that. If they made "a normal console" they would of gotten all of these games but who would buy the console because of that? There would be absolutely nothing unique enough except "you can play the new Mario on here".

The Switch was designed to be a console which can go in homes that have Xbox, Playstation, or PCs