Register Now
GeppyX

There's a free PS5 scam on Facebook

I almost fell for it. I was looking at dog pictures in a group and this lady said she got promoted at her job and wants to give away these free PS5s. I contacted her and she said it would just be 50 for shipping. I got a little suspicious and she said she had no reason to scam me since she knows how hard it is to make bread. I did some research on FB and saw that other accounts posted the same pics and message. I figured out it was a scam. I almost fell for it because I have wanted a PS5 so bad, for so long.

I'm beginning to give up on getting a PS5. I got a Switch and have been collecting for the Switch and PS4. Sony will probably never have PS5 readily available. 

No one is going to be giving away a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S for free. I see scams like this all the time on the DW, and some are pretty convincing. The people down there are skilled con artists. One even tried to lure me in. But I refuse to trust unless you can prove something in person, so I didn't fall for it.

Yeah this is something that happens all the time in comments. Here's a tip, don't ever click on any links or contact anyone through comments when they offer anything. They are most likely always bots and will cause you nothing but issues. 

If you ever see the word "free" online, it's easier to just automatically assume that it's a scam. And no one would ever be giving away a PS5/Xbox Series X for free randomly. Celebrities and influencers may do it but they would be giving it privately to hospitals/families that are struggling and would never advertise it beforehand.

Especially when it's anything to do with Facebook Marketplace, Facebook ads, or craigslist or any other service to buy locally. If you do buy locally, read into it more, make sure it's legit, meet at a public place. I've heard of some people making sales right outside of police stations as they were that scared. 

21 minutes ago, Empire said:

I assume ANYONE selling a PS5 locally that wants to ship or ask for a deposit is scamming. If I'm buying local, I need to see the product in person and I'll pay via Apple pay, zelle, cash or cash app. I'm not sending a dollar to anyone without meeting in person.

That's great advice. I'd like to add to that by saying make the meeting point somewhere as public as possible.

The $448 PS5 on eBay that Blackangel shared is permanently banned to be fair. That means whoever buys it can never play online, use the PS store and probably can't get online updates for their disc games either. So the price different there makes sense because not a lot of people will be willing to buy that.

47 minutes ago, Darth said:

The $448 PS5 on eBay that Blackangel shared is permanently banned to be fair. That means whoever buys it can never play online, use the PS store and probably can't get online updates for their disc games either. So the price different there makes sense because not a lot of people will be willing to buy that.

I have to disagree there, with the console being permabanned it's damn near useless.  So unless there is a way of contacting Sony customer service to get the ban removed (which I don't think they can) it's pretty much flushing $448 down the crapper.