Register Now
Shagger

New to video editing, any tips?

I've decided to have a casual go at editing my video game clips and possibly start sharing on YouTube and here on VGR. I also want to work on instructional videos to help newcomers to the forum itself. As I use OBS for screen capture that, as far as I can tell, can only be prompted to start and stop recording with a control on it's UI (if there is a keyboard shortcut or hotkey, I'd like to know how that's done if anyone knows), the vids I've recorded with OBS so far always have shots of me starting and stopping OBS recording  at the start and end I would like to clip out as well as add voice overs and stuff title screens etc. I'm just putting this out there in case anyone on VGR has some experience editing videos can help me avoid some "beginner's traps" as it were and offer general advice. I did see a lot of video editing software both free and premium, but the one I've decided on initially is HitFilm Express. So, anything yu can say to help is apricated.

As somebody who has edited quite a bit in final cut pro and know my way around editing I will offer a couple of tips. 

It's not about looking impressive for the sake of looking impressive. Make sure it's fits the tone and style. A documentary shouldn't have the same level of editing as a Marvel movie.

Definitely agree on this. 
Always edit to what your story is. Why am I doing this and how does it fit? 
Also don't do so many transitions. One is fine it if fits well with what you are editing. Two maybe and that is pushing it. Don't be a lets put in so many transitions person. 
Balance audio so it is consistent throughout. Don't have one part of the video louder then another part. 
You don't always have to start from the beginning. What I mean by this is as you edit your video do what feels right. If you skip the beginning part and edit the middle or end first that is alright. Go with your flow and it will help your creativity. 

On 2/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, Head_Hunter said:

I am learning how to use Canva to make better video editing, it has every basic tools to make a better video editing and add better graphics etc. 

I don't know about Canva being a video Editor - it's pretty good for photo editing though and creating YouTube banners.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, Shagger said:

I've decided to have a casual go at editing my video game clips and possibly start sharing on YouTube and here on VGR. I also want to work on instructional videos to help newcomers to the forum itself. As I use OBS for screen capture that, as far as I can tell, can only be prompted to start and stop recording with a control on it's UI (if there is a keyboard shortcut or hotkey, I'd like to know how that's done if anyone knows), the vids I've recorded with OBS so far always have shots of me starting and stopping OBS recording  at the start and end I would like to clip out as well as add voice overs and stuff title screens etc. I'm just putting this out there in case anyone on VGR has some experience editing videos can help me avoid some "beginner's traps" as it were and offer general advice. I did see a lot of video editing software both free and premium, but the one I've decided on initially is HitFilm Express. So, anything yu can say to help is apricated.

The one that I use is Camtasia and although it isn't exactly beginner friendly, it gets the job done. Since I've never used Hitfilm Express, I couldn't offer any advice in regards on how to  use it but I can provide some general tips:

1. Keep three copies of everything you create in 2 different locations on you machine and one on an external hard drive. It's called the 321 rule and it has saved me a bunch of times when I accidentally deleted something I was working on.
  2. Watch some tutorials on YouTube. Look for beginner-friendly people who specialize in using the software you're interested in. FXHome is a good place to start - I do watch some of their videos for some inspiration. 
  3. It's important to learn some very crucial terms such as Jcut which is the audio preceding the video. (you'll catch these after a month or so).

I've tried so much to get a screen capturing software, that will enable me to use same device while recording direct and capturing the activities on the phone. With OBS, as the suggestion implies, I'm going to kick start a YouTube career soon. 

OBS have been heard before, but I didn't know it's a screen recorder software, I'll definitely check it out. I am not going into YouTube at the moment and looking to make money with my videos shared there, I can do for fun, until I perfect how to edit videos exceptionally, then i can decide to have a career there. 

I have some experience through Final Cut with uploading music videos of myself performing my cover songs on Facebook. On a technical level, my videos aren’t impressive, but they get the job done.

Usually you can trim off parts of videos, usually it’s super easy to trim off parts of the recording you don’t like. Most video editing software have either a snipping tool, or if it’s stuff from the beginning or end, you can just grab the end and just drag it to where you don’t see that portion. It’s also usually easy to add voice overs to these software too.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:40 AM, MalcolmRoy said:

The topic you mention is very good, this is the topic that I am very enthusiastic, now in my life and work, I find that the use of photo and video editing applications is very necessary, it is help us. so many.

What is your favorite video editing software and why?

I recently gained interest in video editing because I want to expand more than just contents writing and copywriting to contents creation and influencing and the later requires video editing.

For the most recent videos I am working on I used canva Because it is more easier to understand and use as I progress further I would look for more complex video editing software and try out my hands on.