Register Now
The Blackangel

Not A Nugget

I just saw this today, so I don't know if this is old news or new news since I couldn't find a date on it. But apparently, PETA is wanting Nintendo to add their mascot, Not A Nugget, as a playable character in Super Smash bros. It's a little baby chicken with some kind of gun or something. I'll add a pic as well. Personally, while I support animal rights, I would never get in bed with PETA. They kill and abuse more animals than any other animal rights related organization currently in action. There are animal rights groups out there that are truly fighting for animals, but aren't whoring themselves out to make money. I just can't wrap my head around this kind of blatant money grabbing attempt from something that is so far from games. And the game they chose is really what boggles me. They want to add a character, that is for creatures rights to not be abused, to a game where the objective is to beat the shit out of your opponents.

These assholes have made a major misstep in their logic here.

https://support.peta.org/page/32326/petition/1

Untitled.jpg

Considering how many headaches PETA have given Nintendo (and by extension all of us) over the years with their stupid protests over shit like Takooki suit.  I think the current president, Shuntaro Furukawa should officially reply with an image of himself mooning and giving the finger.

I stopped taking PETA seriously when the went after AC4: Black Flag because the claimed the "whaling" mechanic in would encourage youth to take up real whaling (Full story from Polygon). Several problems there;

1. The game was rated for adults to play (M by the ESRB, 18 by PEGI, and so on), so if any child who played suffered any affect of kind, the blame lies solely on thier parents/gradians.
  2. Even if kids did play it, there as stupid as you PETA. No matter how impressionable kids admittingly can be, I still seriously doubt any of them would feel compelled to head out onto the open ocean on a 12 ft row boat and start throwing sticks at sharks.
  3. My kid played AC4. A lot. He didn't want to out onto the open ocean on a 12 ft row boat and start throwing sticks at sharks. He wasn't even interested in the "Assassins Creed" part of the game either. Not surprisingly, he was only really interested in shooting at other ships all the time.
  4. Why were they (and indeed, still are) wasting time, manpower and recourses on going after cruelty against pixels when they could be making that same effort to, oh, I don't know, PROTECTING ANNIMALS? Don't get me wrong, I fully understand how important education is in the fight for animal welfare and environmental protection, I understand that, I truly do, but nobody is going to listen to somebody who does not respect thier intelligence. Do stupid shit like this and people are not going to listen to you.

I don't even need to read that article to believe it. PETA has degraded the entire concept of animal rights/protection to the point that a lot of people don't even take it seriously.

"Oh your son killed your cat for fun? So get another cat. What difference does it make?"

They perpetuate this kind of thought process under the guise of protecting nonhuman lives. Now, I'm all for animal rights. Hell I value their lives above my own. My babies are all more valuable than I am. No one is going to change my mind about that. But I still eat meat. I can go more into that if anyone is interested.

But taking issue with a game and trying to get a meaningless mascot put into it? And that mascot being one that I seriously doubt anyone would even play as unless they were doing it as a joke, is just overstepping if you ask me. I don't see anyone entering a SSB tournament and choosing to play as Not A Nugget.

Peta? The company that threw saltwater lobsters into fresh water? The company that told people that milk causes autism? Why do they think they should get thier character into smash. Besides, all Mario has to do is wrap his hand around Tasty Nugget and squeeze him until he explodes in order to win. Tasty Nugget is a lame character.

Edited by Techno

We do have to admit that games usually give us the green light to kill whatever animal you can. It's just a game so I'm not going to be wacky about it and protest, but with the annihilation of the wolf population recently put into law and then playing AC Valhalla where you brutally kill wolves with what seems to be very angry, kind of rubs me wrong. But it's just a game and I expect brutality in a game like that. It would be nice to come across a game where they respected animals more. You know, like how a Native American is usually shown to honor any animal they kill for food.

I don't know enough about PETA to make much of an opinion about them. It seems they aren't looked at too kindly with the public. And I have no doubts that opponents like that in the meat industry have smeared their names and sabotaged them, cause that's exactly what always happens. And I also have no doubts that their tactics are extreme. But if they are the only people out there shining the light on the evils of the meat and dairy industry, then we need them. Cause I don't know about any other group that gives a damn. 

On 1/26/2022 at 9:35 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

We do have to admit that games usually give us the green light to kill whatever animal you can. It's just a game so I'm not going to be wacky about it and protest, but with the annihilation of the wolf population recently put into law and then playing AC Valhalla where you brutally kill wolves with what seems to be very angry, kind of rubs me wrong. But it's just a game and I expect brutality in a game like that. It would be nice to come across a game where they respected animals more. You know, like how a Native American is usually shown to honor any animal they kill for food.

I don't know enough about PETA to make much of an opinion about them. It seems they aren't looked at too kindly with the public. And I have no doubts that opponents like that in the meat industry have smeared their names and sabotaged them, cause that's exactly what always happens. And I also have no doubts that their tactics are extreme. But if they are the only people out there shining the light on the evils of the meat and dairy industry, then we need them. Cause I don't know about any other group that gives a damn. 

Sorry, but PeTA are not misunderstood, they're hopelessly insane. This same organisation decided is was less cruel to subject heavily pregnant woman and new mothers to be milked for our supply of dairy instead of cows. I'm all for animal welfare, free range farming and all that good stuff, but people like PeTA only know how to protest and never get listened to because there is no practically or common sense to be found in thier idea's. Going back to AC4, they obviously just wanted to leech of a popular video game to get thier name out there. Unless they genuinely believed that a kid plays AC4, then would want to go whaling. Just because thier members lack a will and intelligence of thier own and are so easy to manipulate, doesn't mean the rest of us are so inept. They could have spent that time and resources actually saving animals, but they didn't. As @The Blackangel hinted at, they have been responsible for a lot of culling's and putting down healthy animals in shelters they stopped funding over the years. They are not a charity worth supporting. They waste time and money on stupid publicity stunts like this all the time.

Edited by Shagger

They just want to make headlines, because they're of the mind that bad publicity is still good publicity. It will drive people to their site, and possibly get more idiots to send in their membership fees to join. So as long as they get their names in the newspaper, they don't care.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, killamch89 said:

PETA can go to hell for all I care. Why should Nintendo be doing those criminals any favors? If I remember correctly, they've given Nintendo and other gaming companies hell about creatures in a few of their titles and those aren't even real.

Seriously, I really think that it's a bad move from Nintendo getting caught up in such drama if you ask me. They should have better things to do with better deals.