Register Now
m76

Ubisoft VP says gamers are just dumb for not welcoming NFTs

In an interview Nicolas Pouard, VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab, had expressed frustration over the pushback they experienced for the launch of their NFT scheme "Quartz".
But he also reveals that they very well knew this will be the player reaction but they went ahead with the rollout anyway. - Shows how much they care about gamers.

The most egregious part of the interview is however where he says that gamers just don't get NFTs. "So, it's really, for them. It's really beneficial. But they don't get it for now."

https://www.finder.com.au/ubisoft-interview-nfts

44 minutes ago, m76 said:

In an interview, Nicolas Pouard VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab, had expressed frustration over the pushback they experienced for the launch of their NFT scheme "Quartz".
But he also reveals that they very well knew this will be the player reaction but they went ahead with the rollout anyway. - Shows how much they care about gamers.

The most egregious part of the interview is however where he says that gamers just don't get NFTs. "So, it's really, for them. It's really beneficial. But they don't get it for now."

https://www.finder.com.au/ubisoft-interview-nfts

I can't believe the fucking ignorance in this interview.  Not just from Pouard but the interviewer Chris Stead as well:

"Having worked in games media for well over 2 decades, I'm about the experience first and foremost. I play for fun. I'm not interested in investing or in making money from games. But having also kept a close eye on blockchain and NFT games over the last 4 years, I can see the potential the technology has to offer gamers greater freedom."

- Chris Stead

"The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they're finished with them or they're finished playing the game itself."

- Nicolas Pouard

Do they seriously not see the obvious problems with this?  Their staring right in the face!  Turning gaming from entertainment and hobby into a business model?  Creating a free market for Blockchain tokens.  It's got scams, Pyramids, Multi Level Marketing and a ton of other sketchy schemes written all over it!  Hell it's happening already with games like Townville.

“You must purchase the game. You must play at least 2 hours. So, it's a bit complicated for pure speculators to go there and invest and inflate the markets”

I don’t see how getting the game and playing for 2 hours is going to deter those that will inflate the market. So they just openly admitted that inflation of the market is a risk and they say having to buy the game will stop them. They also say that Quartz is optional; but we will see just how ‘optional’ it is going forward.

“Our main concern is to make sure that even on a secondary market, prices do not go too high, so that it's still accessible to regular players.” 

How exactly will they prevent that? Sounds like they know the threat, but have no real concern or power to stop it.

They also mentioned the concern about the environment and energy consumption from blockchain. I haven’t heard anything about that. How does blockchain impact the environment?

“I don't want to go into numbers, but owning a percentage of a huge ecosystem might be even more interesting than just owning a game today.”

That to me looks like the purest answer we will get. Gaming will be treated as an investment using worthless NFT. Real investments you can cash out from. You can’t take an NFT to the bank when you need help with mortgage. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

Anyone can share their opinion the way it's pleasing to them. Ubisoft executive might have felt displeased about gamers dissatisfaction around NFTs inclusion. To be frank I never really love it too. We play games to satisfy our desire and not playing for gambling. 

In the last year, Ubisoft has definitely upended EA for me. Activision and Bethesda are temporarily off my horrible publishers list as they're under new ownership and I have to see what Microsoft does with them first. I've been so turned off by Ubisoft in the past few years that I've stopped playing games like Rainbow Siege and Watchdogs because I will not support those filthy bastards.

Anything that the fanbase of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) says they can do can either already be done without the ownership of algorithmically generated artwork, or will not happen because of things like meshes, rigging, copyright, intellectual property law, and developers/publishers/console manufacturers going "nah," like they already do with non-algorithmically generated artwork. Not that being able to play my very own version of Generic Texan Bearded Military Man with a Bandana and Sunglasses in any version of Ubisoft Game™ is a huge loss.

NFTs in gaming are solutions trying to find problems, which strangely at this moment in time, is better than developers making problems to sell a solution (such as XP boosts in purposefully grindy games, cash shops for overdeveloped games with piss-poor progression systems, etc.) There are three key questions that I have for the future of NFTs in gaming:

1. Do those spouting this nonsense keep it in the board meetings because NFT - like Metaverse - is a buzzword?
  2. If it leaves the board meetings and enters game dev land, how long will it be before developers and publishers create problems to sell NFTs as solutions?
  3. And if the second question becomes reality, when will enough gamers make a significant enough amount of money for said developers and publishers through NFTs for everyone else to follow suit?

For now, Ubisoft is just talking. They've shown contempt for their playerbase before, so eh, the feeling's mutual.

Is this going to end up like Star Wars Battlefront 2 where EA released a stupid comment and they had to completely change how they worked on the game? Hopefully because saying the players are wrong for not liking something as stupid as NFTs is never going to end well. 

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

NFTs in gaming are solutions trying to find problems, which strangely at this moment in time, is better than developers making problems to sell a solution (such as XP boosts in purposefully grindy games, cash shops for overdeveloped games with piss-poor progression systems, etc.)

It's not "solutions trying to find problems", it's just creating problems that shouldn't exist.  NFT's are just yet another money stream for these publishers.  If you ask me it's actually worse than micro-transactions.  Not only is it manipulative and exploitive on the part of the publisher but it opens the door end users to participate in shady MLM schemes.  It's deeply worrying and totally irresponsible for any publisher to back these.

There are blockchain games like splinterlands, axie infinity, karastar and few others. So I don't know which gamers he is referring to for not accepting NFTs. Nobody wants to hold in game item as NFT for long as with time that would lose value. Unless it's like some super legit and specific item to hold.

While the below video is more about NFTs in general, I strongly recommend people watch it because it goes so far into all the different ways NFTs are awful. It's two hours long, but it's two hours of sensible, sourced information that goes beyond the environmental impact and multi-level-marketing (MLM.) Some of the best two hours of watching I've done recently.