Register Now
StormyFire

Game size

As games are made to run at higher resolutions with more advanced graphics (thus, larger textures) with more animations, AI patterns and programming, they're going to take up more space, it's an inevitability of advances in game development. No doubt some publishers are guilty of of being lazy and not compressing games files like they could and leaving in dead code, but I'd say it's mostly about progress in the technology.

The simple answer is that the gaming industry is constantly growing. With each new console, comes more options for video games. Which means bigger file sizes as we continue to make games look prettier and smoother. 

COD alone takes up about 200 to half a terabyte or storage alone. Now with 4K being a point or interest, games will continue to grow in size. 

Also many games require more than one disc to play as there is so much information that even on a Blu-ray disc it wouldn't all fit. I don't remember the size of RDR2 off the top of my head, but it has a data disc and a play disc. After you install the data from the data disc, you still have to install more data from the play disc to run the game. I don't think the game was ever released as a purely digital download. Correct me if I'm wrong. But all that information and the disc being required to run the game, takes up a lot of space. Think of the graphics, the multitude of lines that had to be recorded, not just for the characters in the gang, but the random NPC's as well. Then think of the random weather. The different animals and their appearances. Their different qualities from poor to good to perfect. The terrain. The towns and their architecture. There is so much more than that. And this is a western. Modern designed games like GTA would most likely have more since they would also have to incorporate things like cars, street lights, modern housing designs, and shitloads more. To have all that in one game, you're going to need a huge hard drive, or you're depriving yourself of the full experience of the game. In truth, you may end up needing to hook up an external hard drive just to have the space to install, run, and play the game. And you may have to dedicate that external to only one single game. A label maker would come in very handy for that.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:19 AM, skyfire said:

I think on the 3D part there is yet to come a tech which reduces the file size of those designs. I wish they could do that in near future.

Me too but it just keeps increasing with no end in sight - I miss the days when games were only 20 - 30 GB. Most new game releases are between 40 and 50...

On 1/31/2022 at 2:19 AM, skyfire said:

I think on the 3D part there is yet to come a tech which reduces the file size of those designs. I wish they could do that in near future.

Well there is something like that, it's called compression, but that's when you zip a folder to decrease its size for sharing. I'm sure there's something like this for game sizes, but bear in mind, the compression of files can also cause corruption of files. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Well there is something like that, it's called compression, but that's when you zip a folder to decrease its size for sharing. I'm sure there's something like this for game sizes, but bear in mind, the compression of files can also cause corruption of files. 

Well, I do think they'll have to come up with more efficient technology to make game files smaller because the sizes are absolutely ridiculous. One COD upgrade is basically 10 - 20 GB!

16 hours ago, Justin11 said:

My PS3 internal memory space is nowhere near, around 120GB. Which means if I am installing video games that covers up to 20GB I wouldn't install more than 5-6, that's very much worrying and bizarre. 

The PS3 didn't have a whole lot of space, because the games were smaller and most ran straight from the disc. There wasn't much to download other than your save data. So it was decided that the PS3 didn't need a particularly big hard drive. Hell the first ones that came out (the ones that could play PS2 games) only had 20g-40g hard drives. So it wasn't much of a concern at the time.

Edited by The Blackangel