Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with surprisingly long DLCs

6 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Blood and Wine for Witcher 3; large new map 

The Following for Dying Light; large new map

That's the first one that came to my mind immediately but you have done the honors already. 

Although, Hearts of Stone DLC was quite long with 19 hours for  playthroughs and 10 hours of story content. 

Most of the Borderlands DLCs are great for what they are. Talking any game in the series. They're all complete and working on release. Usually adding vast new areas and hours of gameplay. BL3 DLCs got pretty excessive, but they are fully embracing the Looter-Shooter genre and even poke fun at themselves about it. The base games are designed to accommodate the DLCs.

Compare that to HZD, FW was a great and well-done addition to the game. But the base game was so story-based that FW was an awkward, bolted-on addition. It doesn't really make sense when playing through the original game.

18 hours ago, Empire said:

Most of the Borderlands DLCs are great for what they are. Talking any game in the series. They're all complete and working on release. Usually adding vast new areas and hours of gameplay. BL3 DLCs got pretty excessive, but they are fully embracing the Looter-Shooter genre and even poke fun at themselves about it. The base games are designed to accommodate the DLCs.

Compare that to HZD, FW was a great and well-done addition to the game. But the base game was so story-based that FW was an awkward, bolted-on addition. It doesn't really make sense when playing through the original game.

Borderlands Dlcs are definitely among the top 10 best DLCs in the game from my experience on the game. It's well structured and narrowed down to point. 

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I remember when strategy games used to have longer DLCs like age of empire series, age of mythology etc. then the DLCs ended up seasonal too.

In some of these games, developers have found a way to make interesting DLCs that's worth getting into. 

8 hours ago, Boblee said:

In the Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine DLC is the longest that I have seen till today. I'm not sure if there is any longer. 

Yeah, that's very correct because I'm very sure that fact has already been established a long time ago in the game industry. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's very correct because I'm very sure that fact has already been established a long time ago in the game industry. 

They really took the time to make that DLC in a way that it came out perfectly. They never rushed it, otherwise it would have been a disaster. 

Gta 4 Lost and damned and ballad of gay tony come to mind. Also rdr undead nightmare should be worth mentioning. 

Forza horizon dlc is also taking a fair few hours to complete.

And what about Bethesday as Skyrim, oblivion and fallout also had some lenghty dlc.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 2/5/2022 at 6:47 PM, Yaramaki said:

Gta 4 Lost and damned and ballad of gay tony come to mind. Also rdr undead nightmare should be worth mentioning. 

Forza horizon dlc is also taking a fair few hours to complete.

And what about Bethesday as Skyrim, oblivion and fallout also had some lenghty dlc.

You're quite correct about Forza horizon DLC. I usually felt it's something that's going to be completed quickly but I was so wrong. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Boblee said:

Skyrim Dragonborn DLC is about 10-30 hours long. It's pretty among the longest that I have come across as well. 

How good is that Skyrim Dragonborn DLC? I haven't played it yet but it's definitely something I'm going to play cos I'm a big Skyrim fan. 

Table Top Racing technically has long DLC in that it drags out its maps and use of the newly introduced vehicles, but strangely that's the only one I can think of that isn't open world (which today is basically begging for drawn out content). The last time I was surprised by the length of a DLC besides TTR's was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, though come to think of it Ubisoft tend to have DLC that outstays its welcome.

It's a toughie though; either make something that feels like you're not getting your £15's worth out of it, or make something that gets boring to justify that £15 just in case.

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

How good is that Skyrim Dragonborn DLC? I haven't played it yet but it's definitely something I'm going to play cos I'm a big Skyrim fan. 

An unpopular opinion I realise but I personally didn't think too much of it; it's Skyrim's answer to Oblivion's Shivering Isles but toned down in each regard. It's more Skyrim for those who want it and a decent enough trip down Memory Lane to Morrowind fans, and maybe that's why it did nothing to me. I'd take the other two DLCs, particularly Hearthfire, any day.