Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

GTA 4 WKTT Radio used real callers to rant about the world

GTA 4 had a hotline for real world callers to call in and talk about everything they were upset about in the world. I don't know exactly how or if they got paid to use what they said in the GTA 4 soundtrack. Pretty cool idea though, and it gives point to how real the GTA franchise is with extreme stereotypes. It's funny playing a game and listening to crazy rants. This really could have gone AWOL, especially in today's climate. I can't imagine the things I would say as a caller, especially my drinking days. How about you? Let's say this is a new hotline, what things would you rant about? Imagine what you say could be used in a game...🤞

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

7 hours ago, m76 said:

Source? I could imagine them being inspired by real wordl radio calls, but not actually using them.

I think they tweeted about it recently as an interesting fact but I can't find it anymore.

There is also a Wiki page and a news article from 15 years ago about it - https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/WKTT_Radio and https://www.destructoid.com/wanna-hear-your-voice-in-gta4/

4 hours ago, Darth said:

I think they tweeted about it recently as an interesting fact but I can't find it anymore.

There is also a Wiki page and a news article from 15 years ago about it - https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/WKTT_Radio and https://www.destructoid.com/wanna-hear-your-voice-in-gta4/

I never really followed up on that update but I'm glad for the link to the article which you provided. It gave a great insight into the matter. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:16 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

GTA 4 had a hotline for real world callers to call in and talk about everything they were upset about in the world. I don't know exactly how or if they got paid to use what they said in the GTA 4 soundtrack. Pretty cool idea though, and it gives point to how real the GTA franchise is with extreme stereotypes. It's funny playing a game and listening to crazy rants. This really could have gone AWOL, especially in today's climate. I can't imagine the things I would say as a caller, especially my drinking days. How about you? Let's say this is a new hotline, what things would you rant about? Imagine what you say could be used in a game...🤞

This actually is why Rockstar is making tons of money from the GTA franchise because gamers really took it hard with the game. 

6 hours ago, Boblee said:

If they are not making the kind of money they do from the game, the gaming world fans wouldn't be all crazy over the game like they are. 

Seriously, EA or Rockstar or Ubisoft would be the last big video games companies that's going to stay where they are not sucking all the money dried up. 

On 2/1/2022 at 8:38 PM, Kane99 said:

That's cool, I didn't know that. I always got a kick out of the talk show channels in gta games. Wonder if other GTA games did similar promotions. 

Seriously, that's one time that Rockstar is very good at by trying as much as possible to make gamers never get tired of their GTA series. 

5 hours ago, Patrik said:

whenever you think that Rockstar is impressive, it gets even more, i never had the chance to hear those rants live in GTA 4 while playing, what's good is that i found the whole radio in a 50 minutes vid!

Wow, that looks interesting. I'm going to settle down in a few minutes and enjoy watching this. It's been long since I watched this kind of update. 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:16 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's pretty wild - I always thought that some of the rants sounded like things I tend to hear on some of the radio shows in the US.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, Boblee said:

Seriously, that's one time that Rockstar is very good at by trying as much as possible to make gamers never get tired of their GTA series. 

They have managed to grow their fans loyalty to the point where they can really wait for them even after what happened with GTA trilogy. 

36 minutes ago, Heatman said:

They have managed to grow their fans loyalty to the point where they can really wait for them even after what happened with GTA trilogy. 

The GTA trilogy was a disaster but fans will excuse that one because of how good the other games were. I'm still looking forward to GTA 6 myself when it comes out in the next 4-5 years.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The GTA trilogy was a disaster but fans will excuse that one because of how good the other games were. I'm still looking forward to GTA 6 myself when it comes out in the next 4-5 years.

Exactly my point. Rockstar have captured their fans heart so much that they can easily look up to them to bounce back.