Register Now
StormyFire

Standing desk

A lot of people I know that have tried it say that it wears them out within an hour or two. Standing all day takes a lot more energy than sitting does. It also puts pressure on your back and causes back issues. Some say sitting is bad, but it's not in my opinion. But that may be a moot point, considering my situation.

I'd recommend you just try to squeeze some real exercise in as standing desks present with their own health problems and they still don't really work out your body (in comparison), try going for a 30-40 minute walk once or twice a day, exercise doesn't have to be of the high intensity sort to work, but getting moving is definitely the first step to take.

Technically sitting is worse for us due to how gravity hits our bodies. Standing is better for our posture. 

I've never tried using a standing desk, but I'd totally consider if it I could get one that moves up and down so I can also sit if needed. I'm lazy by nature so I will probably be sitting down more often. 

53 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I've never really used a standing desk and my legs would be tired within a few hours if I was standing all the time. I mean, I spend hours on my computer per day so it'd be suicide for me.

I think you'd eventually get used to it. I know people who use standing desks and they love them. Of course it's not for everyone, but I imagine you get used to standing longer, especially if you're used to sitting down for long hours like I am. But I think a standing desk is good for those of us who sit for too long, to help teach us to not rely so much on sitting down. I know some people can't do that, so I understand. But if we're capable of standing, then I think we should do it a bit more often. 

23 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think you'd eventually get used to it. I know people who use standing desks and they love them. Of course it's not for everyone, but I imagine you get used to standing longer, especially if you're used to sitting down for long hours like I am. But I think a standing desk is good for those of us who sit for too long, to help teach us to not rely so much on sitting down. I know some people can't do that, so I understand. But if we're capable of standing, then I think we should do it a bit more often. 

It depends on what you're doing, Tech Youtubers are the ones I know who tend to use Standing desk. As for me, I take a walk every half an hour so that my legs don't cramp up.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It depends on what you're doing, Tech Youtubers are the ones I know who tend to use Standing desk. As for me, I take a walk every half an hour so that my legs don't cramp up.

That's totally fair. Getting up often is recommended if you sit for long hours. I try to get up every two hours or so to move around. With a standing desk, I could just flip a switch, and it'll move up and I can then stand around for a bit to get circulation going proper again. Standing desks can work for just about anyone, techy people, gamers, people who work with crafts and other things too. Standing desks can be used for a lot.

I want to eventually get those standing desks that rise up or down. If you want to sit you can, and if you want to stand, that's an option too. 🙂 

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That will definitely be weird one, I never tried it myself. Even when I'm standing while playing games, my legs suffers heat whenever I cross 1h. So, sitting on a standing desk is just similar to standing up while gaming. 

If you're worried about using a standing desk, then I would recommend getting the ones that move up and down. So if you want to sit down, all you'd have to do is hit a switch and it'll move the desk down to a better position to sit down. 

I think we would get used to standing fairly quickly. As long as you can rest your arms on the desk, I think it could work fine. 

As well, you don't need to get an actual standing desk. I know there are some lifts separate from the desk you have, so all you'd have to do is put it on your existing desk. Your monitors would go on that portion so that it can move up and down. I was going to buy one before I got my main desk, but decided against it. I think if I come into some more money soon, or better work, I will invest in something like that so I can stand up sometimes while I work. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

If you're worried about using a standing desk, then I would recommend getting the ones that move up and down. So if you want to sit down, all you'd have to do is hit a switch and it'll move the desk down to a better position to sit down. 

I think we would get used to standing fairly quickly. As long as you can rest your arms on the desk, I think it could work fine. 

As well, you don't need to get an actual standing desk. I know there are some lifts separate from the desk you have, so all you'd have to do is put it on your existing desk. Your monitors would go on that portion so that it can move up and down. I was going to buy one before I got my main desk, but decided against it. I think if I come into some more money soon, or better work, I will invest in something like that so I can stand up sometimes while I work. 

Provided that I can toggle the standing desk to my preferred position, then their is nothing bad. I was thinking that, it can't be adjusted like other rotator gaming chairs. 

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Provided that I can toggle the standing desk to my preferred position, then their is nothing bad. I was thinking that, it can't be adjusted like other rotator gaming chairs. 

Well to be fair, I think there are standard ones that don't move up and down, but there are mechanical ones that do and if you could afford one of those, I'd get that. 

That's the type of standing desk I want to get, because it's the best of both worlds.