Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you think VR is over-hyped?

There is so much hype right now about how VR is going to be a huge deal in the future for gaming and everything else. But I can’t help thinking that the technology still seems too clunky to ever feel comfortable enough for extensive use. Do you think VR is over-hyped, or going to be as big as people say?

VR is still in its infancy and has progressed much since its introduction in 2016. I'd be inclined to agree with you that VR is so overhyped. AR has been making some good progress but VR has been for the most part pretty stagnant and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Comfort is definitely going to be an issue. Metaverse has come out with VR gloves and are making body suits. I think they are focusing too much on physical interaction and not enough on graphical quality. But I don't think it's overhyped. It's the future of gaming and something that can't be stopped. The most I've ever been scared playing a game was Exorcist Legion VR for Oculus. What concerns me now though, is the future experiments that will be done on animals in order to master VR potential. Elon Musk now has to face an animal rights investigation for his Neuralink experiments on monkeys. Let's hope this kind of thing is not the consequence for our entertainment needs, and we experiment responsibly. Because I have no doubts VR will eventually get more and more physically involved with our brains. Right now it's suits, and tomorrow its implants. VR is going to be the gateway to other technologies. Since we aren't close yet, maybe it is overhyped. 

On 2/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, killamch89 said:

VR is still in its infancy and has progressed much since its introduction in 2016. I'd be inclined to agree with you that VR is so overhyped. AR has been making some good progress but VR has been for the most part pretty stagnant and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Actually VR has already had an attempt in the 90s, so it's really not that new. Yeah the technology was worse then but the concept was exactly the same. It's actually pretty amazing that they already achieved full head tracking in the mid 90s for VR.

My opinion is that if VR was going mainstream it would have already done so by now. It seems to me that the hype around it is dying down actually. I haven't really heard anyone mention VR until now, since the hype about HL:Alyx died down.

I don't think VR headsets are going away completely but they'll be a niche accessory that only a few people will invest in. Much like racing wheels and sim rigs.

Edited by m76

I'm sort of in the middle with this because the experience of VR is really fun and an interesting new way to play games that I enjoy as well as the next big thing (IMO), so getting to see it grow is awesome. Having said that, I have some issues with it and I'm being fairly exhaustive here out of respect for your hard-earned dollar, but these are definitely not deal-breakers for me. They might be for someone else though.

18 hours ago, Empire said:

I'm sort of in the middle with this because the experience of VR is really fun and an interesting new way to play games that I enjoy as well as the next big thing (IMO), so getting to see it grow is awesome. Having said that, I have some issues with it and I'm being fairly exhaustive here out of respect for your hard-earned dollar, but these are definitely not deal-breakers for me. They might be for someone else though.

Yeah exactly, I'd be super thrilled if they eventually get everything that there is to perfect in VR, it's definitely going shock the gaming world. 

16 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Hopefully everyone is gearing up to witnessing the introduction of VR to the gaming world, I just hope to see it being popular soon. 

Nothing good comes easy and it's the same process that VR is being put through. With time, it's definitely going to come out better. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Nothing good comes easy and it's the same process that VR is being put through. With time, it's definitely going to come out better. 

It's simply gradual process man, I know VR will come into limelight and everyone will simply enjoy it's addition in video game.