Register Now
Jayson

Bad Comedy Movies

Some make you wonder why they would have wasted up to a million dollars or more on each film making them.  What were they thinking?  Why can't people spot this bad stuff while it's being filmed?

Some bad movies that I think are bad and most critics would agree are: "Johnston Family Vacation", "Grown Ups", Probably "Grown Ups 2" (Haven't seen it.).  Who can add to the list?

Edited by Jayson

Telling people that a comedy is bad is very hard to explain because the statement "that's not funny" is so correct and essential, yet  so vague and open to critique. in itself, and really all that people ask of a comedy is for it to be funny, so to hate a comedy because "It's not funny" is all you need, but it is so hard to explain in a credible matter.

1 minute ago, Shagger said:

Telling people that a comedy is bad is very hard to explain because the statement "that's not funny" is so correct and essential, yet  so vague and open to critique. in itself, and really all that people ask of a comedy is for it to be funny, so to hate a comedy because "It's not funny" is all you need, but it is so hard to explain in a credible matter.

The best way is to just say that you personally didn't like it. Others might have, but you didn't. Tell others to draw their own conclusions. The movies I listed were fairly popular, especially Dumb & Dumber. But I just didn't like it. It was abstract craziness and just not entertaining. One of Jim Carrey's worst performances.

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Dumb & Dumber is definitely one of the shittiest comedy movies ever made. Billy Madison sucked as well. Ted 2 was a horrible piece of shit. Tooth Fairy should have paid the audience to see it, instead of the audience paying to see it.

Dumb and Dumber sucked?  That's interesting.   What are comedies you like?

Some conclusions people get I can't understand.  For instance, Tommy Boy got two thumbs down from Siskel and Ebert.  Oh, well, it's often subjective, but these new Adam Sandler movies are simply lazy on the part of Sandler and the other actors and/or the screenwriters.  I don't see how anyone could enjoy them.

Edited by Jayson

I didnt like Grown ups, I have not seen the sequel. A lot of my friends love it but honestly I dont think it was funny. Actually I dont like many of Adam Sandler's movies, there are a few that I like and rewatch from time to time for example 50 First Dates. But I think most of them are just crap.

49 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

How is stupidity supposed to be entertaining?

Well very simple, we like watching animals at the zoo don't we? It's the exact same philosophy, we are entertained by what confuses us the most. A stupid man is a simple man, and that, is the most confusing part of a stupid man, to the smarter folks of the world. 

Just now, Techno said:

Well very simple, we like watching animals at the zoo don't we? It's the exact same philosophy, we are entertained by what confuses us the most. A stupid man is a simple man, and that, is the most confusing part of a stupid man, to the smarter folks of the world. 

How can you compare intelligent animals in a zoo with a stupid human?

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

How can you compare intelligent animals in a zoo with a stupid human?

Because even a stupid human has their own intelligence, notice how well they lead the nations of the world, notice how fast they can make YouTube videos, notice how well they enforce the law. Stupid people are better leaders than a smart person, because a smart person will overthink politics, while a stupid person will undermine it.

Paul Blart 2.

For some odd reason, I enjoyed the first Paul Blart movie as a guilty pleasure comedy. If I saw it on tv I wouldn’t mind to sit through it. BUT, this movie was a comedy black hole. All the charisma & (dare I say it) charm from the first was sucked out. During the screening, no one laughed, not even a short chuckle.

3 hours ago, Techno said:

Because even a stupid human has their own intelligence, notice how well they lead the nations of the world, notice how fast they can make YouTube videos, notice how well they enforce the law. Stupid people are better leaders than a smart person, because a smart person will overthink politics, while a stupid person will undermine it.

I actually like that philosophy, never looked at it that way before. 🤔

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Grown Ups had its moments, but I agree. It was pretty stupid. Adam Sandler was good in his early years, but seems to have gotten more interested in the money than the movie itself these days.

It was kinda of a dissapointment , I mean it has a very good cast, but it just felt very stupid. But yeah comedy is very subjective, I also think that Dumb and Dumber was not funny and lets not even talk about the second one, but a lot of people like them.