Register Now
NightmareFarm

I think this generation of gaming will be much better than the last

We can now choose whether to prioritise frame rate or graphics(so in effect, 60fps is available on pretty much any game rather than 30fps being on everything), load times are very fast in comparison to having to wait minutes for screens to load on 8th gen(cough cough DMC5, FFXV), haptic feedback/adaptive triggers(if you're on PS5) and gaming in general is better. It feels like there's been more creative, varied and uniue games coming out lately whereas in the 2010s it felt more corporate and there were too many souls clones and sony movie games which stole all of the spotlight. Many games in 8th gen just felt stiff. Devs haven't even scratched the surface of the power of the 9th gen consoles but it's already a big improvement. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

Well, on PC we had that ch

24 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

We can now choose whether to prioritise frame rate or graphics(so in effect, 60fps is available on pretty much any game rather than 30fps being on everything), load times are very fast in comparison to having to wait minutes for screens to load on 8th gen(cough cough DMC5, FFXV),

On the PC we had these things since forever, it's a good thing that consoles are somewhat catching up.

17 minutes ago, m76 said:

Well, on PC we had that ch

On the PC we had these things since forever, it's a good thing that consoles are somewhat catching up.

PC doesn't have haptics and is much more expensive and harder to maintain

Edited by NightmareFarm

18 minutes ago, Patrik said:

There are surely improvements over generations, but doesn't mean a whole new generation is gonna be better than the whole previous one

To each our own but to me it seems like 9th gen already overshadows it in every regard. 8th gen was an average time for gaming, a couple gems here and there but overall it wasn't exactly that great and there are many things from 8th gen which already feel dated like 30fps on everything, loud fans, short battery capacity, blocky and slow UIs, stiff game design and extremely long load times.

Edited by NightmareFarm

On 2/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, NightmareFarm said:

We can now choose whether to prioritise frame rate or graphics(so in effect, 60fps is available on pretty much any game rather than 30fps being on everything), load times are very fast in comparison to having to wait minutes for screens to load on 8th gen(cough cough DMC5, FFXV), haptic feedback/adaptive triggers(if you're on PS5) and gaming in general is better. It feels like there's been more creative, varied and uniue games coming out lately whereas in the 2010s it felt more corporate and there were too many souls clones and sony movie games which stole all of the spotlight. Many games in 8th gen just felt stiff. Devs haven't even scratched the surface of the power of the 9th gen consoles but it's already a big improvement. 

These guys live for the moment and they are going to keep improving on what's been on ground already both the positive and negative sides of games. I'm very sure that they will get to make 60fps more consistent in no distance time. 

Every generation should improve, but it's nothing without improvement in gameplay and new features that enhances it. On the ps3 generation console, I'm sure there is a way to take gaming pics only a scientist can figure out, but this last generation brought the photo mode which is a huge plus. New features like that is what adds greater value to the next generation. The newest generation has the haptic feedback controllers. Hopefully some cool new features will be brought to the table. It's still early. I think what's going to end up happening is there will be greater concentration on NFT and money making schemes and neglect the actual progression of gameplay features. NFT is going to be their prime features. And online type things will improve. So that makes me skeptical that any real progress will happen with actual games and not just graphics, speed, NFT, and online mode. 

The innovations and hardware improvements are indeed noteworthy, but they're only as good as the games they're in. Remember when LAIR single-handedly killed the gyro controls for the Playstation 3? If you don't, that's precisely my point. And while there's undoubtedly some great software out there, from Horizon: Forbidden West to Elden Ring, those games are unfortunately infrequent drops in a fairly large ocean of bad practices. I'm going to notice the adverts, pop-ups and disruptions in online services far more than I will haptic feedback and load times. The novelty of the SSD has long worn off for me, it's now a requirement for my PC builds, but I appreciate how good these things are for consoles.

But it's early days yet. Then again, it was early days when horse armour reared its ugly head.

If the video game companies don't come up with more bizarre money deriving methods that will kill the interest of gamers, then surely the next generation games will be better. When games are made superfluous and a developer sets it to be income consuming to gamers, it will be discouraging for average gamers to get into it.