Register Now
NightmareFarm

I think this generation of gaming will be much better than the last

I think this generation of gaming will be much better than the last?

Going to quote this and say is it now? There are several reasons i can state, well from my own perspective that we have seen the best of gaming and it's not going to get any better. Just my personal oppinion if you disagree let me know as i'm always open for a discussion.

First of all we're already into a generation that is nearing one and a half year and up until now only a small amount of people have them but let's say if consoles would be widely avaible around this time next year that's already 2 and a half years into the consoles lifespan. If we look at the previous generation sony and microsoft already announced hardware upgrades ps4 pro and xbox one x respectively. 2 and a half years is a damn long time already, like half the time of a "normal" console generation. The good side of this it's probably going to be a long generation that probably will last atleast another 10 years.

Aslong there are console shortages, microsoft and sony will not ditch their old consoles and release them exclusively on their new hardware and that in turn is the biggest hindrance for current gen consoles, since they have to put energy and resources into a ps4/xbox one version, i feel like these versions get in the way of delivering a true next gen experience. Because let's face it base Ps4 and base xbox one consoles are 9 years trying to run something like forza horizon 5 or GT 7 on there smoothly is mostlikely going to take quite a bit of effort and time.

Wheter or not if it was 5 years ago, i would have mentioned this as a major problem number one. Games being shoved out the door unfinished but i'm getting used to it by now that eh who cares anymore right? It's still a major problem but it's not like it's going to chance anymore, gone are the days you popped in a disk and you're good to go.

Also what more can they possible add to the games we have now other then better graphics and faster loading times, i haven't really seen a reason why people should go rush online and buy the next gen consoles. I sometimes see people mentioning framerates as a gamebreaker but what are we with 4k graphics if they can't run the game decently at 1080p and 60 fps, it never really bothered me but on current gen console the least i would expect is that the game runs smoothly at 1080p. Gameplay wise i can't see what else could there be improved on maybe you can tell me. Sure story telling and mission structure are just a few things that could use a massive improvement but only time will tell.

Shit that annoys me the most are Lootboxes and microtransactions, i stay away from them as far as possible but it seem the majority of the gamers don't really care anymore it's like they are used to it already. A brand new game already costs 10 bucks more (in some cases). You already want another 20-30 bucks for a season pass and now devs are going to be even more greedy. I think microtransactions are especially problematic for children as we've seen it too many times daddy's creditcard get's plundred for a few skins are fifa fut card packs. Children don't really know the value of money and if it becomes more and more frequent they might think it's normal that games have them.

One last thing that is wrong with current gen gaming : Devs are under so much pressure these days, they can't fuck up or it's game over for them. How many studios were closed because they sometimes made a great game but it sold poorly. Bizarre creations and pandemic studios being one of them just to give an example. Publishers aren't willing to gamble on a game anymore and this is also a major problem, gaming was always about creativity and if it's wasen't for indie developers, gaming would have already lost it's soul a long time ago.

The golden age of gaming isen't going to come back, all we can do is atleast enjoy the games that are yet to come.

6 hours ago, Zesty said:

I disagree completely. The ‘old’ generation of gaming was far better. Nowadays we get broken games and micro transactions and a poor experience. Gaming 10 years was way better than it is now.

People were complaining about that like 5 years ago. If anything i've heard less complaints about that since the late 10s. 

If we're going back 10 years(7th gen not 8th gen which is the previous), everyone shat on that era of gaming for it being too oversaturated with first person shooters, the brown/gray realism colour filter and the gen being fille dto the brim with buggy, stuttering games. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Going to quote this and say is it now? There are several reasons i can state, well from my own perspective that we have seen the best of gaming and it's not going to get any better. Just my personal oppinion if you disagree let me know as i'm always open for a discussion.

First of all we're already into a generation that is nearing one and a half year and up until now only a small amount of people have them but let's say if consoles would be widely avaible around this time next year that's already 2 and a half years into the consoles lifespan. If we look at the previous generation sony and microsoft already announced hardware upgrades ps4 pro and xbox one x respectively. 2 and a half years is a damn long time already, like half the time of a "normal" console generation. The good side of this it's probably going to be a long generation that probably will last atleast another 10 years.

Aslong there are console shortages, microsoft and sony will not ditch their old consoles and release them exclusively on their new hardware and that in turn is the biggest hindrance for current gen consoles, since they have to put energy and resources into a ps4/xbox one version, i feel like these versions get in the way of delivering a true next gen experience. Because let's face it base Ps4 and base xbox one consoles are 9 years trying to run something like forza horizon 5 or GT 7 on there smoothly is mostlikely going to take quite a bit of effort and time.

Wheter or not if it was 5 years ago, i would have mentioned this as a major problem number one. Games being shoved out the door unfinished but i'm getting used to it by now that eh who cares anymore right? It's still a major problem but it's not like it's going to chance anymore, gone are the days you popped in a disk and you're good to go.

Also what more can they possible add to the games we have now other then better graphics and faster loading times, i haven't really seen a reason why people should go rush online and buy the next gen consoles. I sometimes see people mentioning framerates as a gamebreaker but what are we with 4k graphics if they can't run the game decently at 1080p and 60 fps, it never really bothered me but on current gen console the least i would expect is that the game runs smoothly at 1080p. Gameplay wise i can't see what else could there be improved on maybe you can tell me. Sure story telling and mission structure are just a few things that could use a massive improvement but only time will tell.

Shit that annoys me the most are Lootboxes and microtransactions, i stay away from them as far as possible but it seem the majority of the gamers don't really care anymore it's like they are used to it already. A brand new game already costs 10 bucks more (in some cases). You already want another 20-30 bucks for a season pass and now devs are going to be even more greedy. I think microtransactions are especially problematic for children as we've seen it too many times daddy's creditcard get's plundred for a few skins are fifa fut card packs. Children don't really know the value of money and if it becomes more and more frequent they might think it's normal that games have them.

One last thing that is wrong with current gen gaming : Devs are under so much pressure these days, they can't fuck up or it's game over for them. How many studios were closed because they sometimes made a great game but it sold poorly. Bizarre creations and pandemic studios being one of them just to give an example. Publishers aren't willing to gamble on a game anymore and this is also a major problem, gaming was always about creativity and if it's wasen't for indie developers, gaming would have already lost it's soul a long time ago.

The golden age of gaming isen't going to come back, all we can do is atleast enjoy the games that are yet to come.

>microsoft and sony will not ditch their old consoles and release them exclusively on their new hardware

They will once the shortage ends. Even now, there's still plenty of great games coming out which are much improved thanks to next gen hardware. 60fps is the norm again, loading times are very fast, haptic feedback/adaptive triggers also enhances the experience. I'm not trying to sound snobbish or anything but looking back when I had to wait full on MINUTES for some games to load a level(Devil May Cry 5, Final Fantasy XV, Jedi Fallen Order, etc) it seems so primitive in hindsight. Despite the lack of next gen exclusives, it still kind of feels like next gen because of all these improvements across the board. I could never picture a PS4 running a game like Rift Apart  at 60fps with load screens being a couple seconds. But you have a point, devs need to start pumping out next gen games. Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine are almost certain going to be a next gen game and Kill The Justice League is as well which come out next year. E3 is coming up so we should see a lot more being revealed. 

>Games being shoved out the door unfinished

Such as?

>Also what more can they possible add to the games we have now other then better graphics and faster loading times

60fps on everything

Haptic Feedback/Adaptive Triggers

3D Audio

PS5 exclusives that will come out later

PC/PS5 exclusives(like deathloop, ghostwire tokyo, etc) if you don't own a gaming PC.

>Shit that annoys me the most are Lootboxes and microtransactions

Lootboxes were far more prominent in 8th gen. Especially 2017 when Injustice 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 came out. I haven't seen it in any of it in the games i've played that came out recently. Microtransactions aren't an issue unless the devs intentionally take what should be in the base game and lock it to a microtransaction. Haven't really noticed that either.

>gaming was always about creativity 

It still is. Ever played Ghostrunner? If you look beyond just the triple A games everyone talks about there's plenty of creativity. And it feels more creative already than 8th gen where there were so many soulslike games, open world game and cinematic walking games. There is more variety now than 8th gen. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

You're correct, video games has to do with creativity, if you aren't ready to spend time all alone trying to figure out chances to execute innovative ideas to any video game project, such wouldn't yield excellent remark in the future. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, Heatman said:

It's the expected pattern that should take place but in reality, there are some of the upgrades that aren't worth it which puts some of the old generation games in a better footing. 

Are there any recent examples of this that you could point out? Out of the major consoles, I honestly can't think of any that hasn't had a big enough upgrade to justify it being a new generation of consoles.

Every year video game keeps on getting better. I remembered when I got my PS3 newly in 2013, I thought it was the pinnacle of quality gaming, not knowing it was just the starting. In the next 10 years current gen consoles we be like PS1 and PS2. 

With so many gaming companies looking at building their games using Unreal Engine 5 in making their games, it gives all the games a new dimension. I can't wait to see what Dragon Quest 12: The Flames of Fate would be like. 

23 hours ago, Heatman said:

With so many gaming companies looking at building their games using Unreal Engine 5 in making their games, it gives all the games a new dimension. I can't wait to see what Dragon Quest 12: The Flames of Fate would be like. 

Unreal engine 5 is the latest mechanics used in video game development which helps to enhance it's quality like the real world actions. I have secured one of the top listed games on my mind, being 'Monster energy super-cross 5. I am hoping to add Evil dead when it is released on May 13th. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

Unreal engine 5 is the latest mechanics used in video game development which helps to enhance it's quality like the real world actions. I have secured one of the top listed games on my mind, being 'Monster energy super-cross 5. I am hoping to add Evil dead when it is released on May 13th. 

The New Tomb Raider game is also set to be developed using Unreal Engine 5. There are so much in wait for us to get in 2023. 

On 4/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Heatman said:

The New Tomb Raider game is also set to be developed using Unreal Engine 5. There are so much in wait for us to get in 2023. 

I was thinking it will get released in this 2022. I didn't get such notice of the game crossing to 2023, where did you get the information from? 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I was thinking it will get released in this 2022. I didn't get such notice of the game crossing to 2023, where did you get the information from? 

If Crystal Dynamics even have the game released in 2023, it will definitely be too rushed. Some reports suggest it may get to 2025 before it's officially ready. 

https://www.ginx.tv/en/video-games/new-tomb-raider-announced