Register Now
Jayson

How do you feel about an obsession with being clean?

Some people are Marine Corps clean and want to rub it in on people who are less than that - even if it's only somewhat less.  In other words, totally clean is the only good answer.  Anyway, though, looking at my own times of being sloppy, I don't respect seeing this in other people which is hypocritical.   I've also seen incredibly dirty places where it was just too disgusting to stay that long.

O.K., well, I'd like to be clean but if others are there it's a two or more-person job.    Anyhow, I just don't have the mindset like some people to organize things that well.  Once things are unorganized then things gradually devolve into being dirty.   How can you stay on top of the game with organization? 

First off, I can tell you that the USMC is not clean. I know because I was there. They're rigid about a lot of things, but they don't give a shit about cleanliness.

As for myself, I like a clean house and clean clothes. I'm not talking eat off the floor clean and sparkling underwear, but clean nonetheless.

Edited by The Blackangel

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

First off, I can tell you that the USMC is not clean. I know because I was there. They're rigid about a lot of things, but they don't give a shit about cleanliness.

As for myself, I like a clean house and clean clothes. I'm not talking eat off the floor clean and sparkling underwear, but clean nonetheless.

They don't?  What is Full Metal Jacket about?  Well, I mean, you were there.  I don't get what you're saying.   Can you provide details?  Pretty much all the military is a clean freak environment.  It's like working in a restaurant.

Edited by Jayson

19 hours ago, Jayson said:

They don't?  What is Full Metal Jacket about?  Well, I mean, you were there.  I don't get what you're saying.   Can you provide details?  Pretty much all the military is a clean freak environment.  It's like working in a restaurant.

Full Metal Jacket was made 35 years ago. A lot has changed.

Edited by The Blackangel

I moved back in with my mom and she is like this. 
Everything has to be totally clean and spick and span. She is a neat freak and goes overboard. . 
I on the other hand am a messy person. It is not a good mix however, I do make sure I'm extra clean for her. 

First off, I can tell you that the USMC is not clean. I know because I was there. They're rigid about a lot of things, but they don't give a shit about cleanliness.

Thats interesting. I always thought of UCMS requiring cleanliness. 

I've seen tons of people who are not clean.   You wouldn't think they'd be that way.   However, they are.  If you do encounter, clean freaks, they assume all normal people are clean and those who are not are degenerates.

11 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Also it's a work of fiction.

It's no fiction in the military.   Clean is how to goes.   I don't think I'm wrong about this one.  I mean, if working in a major fancy restaurant chain mean obsession with cleanliness, then why would the military be less?

39 minutes ago, Jayson said:

It's no fiction in the military.   Clean is how to goes.   I don't think I'm wrong about this one.  I mean, if working in a major fancy restaurant chain mean obsession with cleanliness, then why would the military be less?

If you really want an accurate picture what being in the military (or anything for that matter), you shouldn't base your assumptions on a fictional story.  Find something factual like a documentary, article, reference book or ask someone with real world experience like @The Blackangel in this case.  You might be right about some of your assumptions but you don't know that and the movie Full Metal Jacket is not a reference source.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:22 AM, Jayson said:

In the battlefield, the last thing the military is worried about is cleanness. They don't stay in safe clean spots, they go into dangerous environments; get dirt, sand, mud, and water everywhere. And they have to wipe blood after every little skirmish. They ain't clean, they're in the middle of deserts, swamps, forests, and every other difficult place on Earth.

Well, what else do they do?  Do they get off nap-time at noon?  Give me a break!  I know the military isn't as "tough" as portrayed maybe, but they have to be clean - because otherwise would be dangerous in situations where disease could be prevented etc..  Also, of course, it just reinforces the hard discipline needed in the military, police force - where lives are on the line.

Being neat and orderly is not inherently OCD. OCD occurs when you feel you must have everything clean, that there's no choice and if you try and resist it feels awful. Cleaning the house and making it sparkle isn't OCD. Scrubbing it from morning to night until your hands bleed because you can't make it perfect enough is. It's a matter of degree.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:23 PM, Jayson said:

Well, what else do they do?  Do they get off nap-time at noon?  Give me a break!  I know the military isn't as "tough" as portrayed maybe, but they have to be clean - because otherwise would be dangerous in situations where disease could be prevented etc..  Also, of course, it just reinforces the hard discipline needed in the military, police force - where lives are on the line.

What branch did you enlist in?