Register Now
Jayson

Being Talked Down to

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

That's very correct. I have an experience with one guy in his forum. When I put out all the facts I have on the subject we had a rift in, he banned me from the forum. I couldn't stop laughing at his weakness. 

After working in IT, I realized a lot of PC gamers aren’t really that knowledgeable in computers, but act like they’re computer geniuses. They’re pretty clueless on computer stuff outside of gaming, because they tend to hunk that if something isn’t catered to gaming, it’s useless.

4 minutes ago, Grungie said:

After working in IT, I realized a lot of PC gamers aren’t really that knowledgeable in computers, but act like they’re computer geniuses. They’re pretty clueless on computer stuff outside of gaming, because they tend to hunk that if something isn’t catered to gaming, it’s useless.

Tell me about it!  That's the "PC Master Race" mentality in a nutshell right there!

12 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Tell me about it!  That's the "PC Master Race" mentality in a nutshell right there!

Hardware requirements for IT stuff are vastly different from PC gaming, and I’m also into artsy shit (primarily music production), so that field has also has different requirements. So some of the hardware or features we’d pay a premium for is pointless for a PC gamer.

It’d be one thing if they would initially question my purchase choice, and after I respond “I’m into audio production”, and they end it with something like “oh okay”, I wouldn’t be having issues with the community. The issue I have is their general inability to comprehend what I’m talking about, and continue talking about how I’m wasting money on said item because it’s useless for gaming.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:09 PM, Grungie said:

Personally, I don't care about getting into any sort of arguments with them on that because I'm very sure that they don't have much to offer in that. If they come out open to ask for information, I'd give it willingly. 

1 minute ago, Heatman said:

Personally, I don't care about getting into any sort of arguments with them on that because I'm very sure that they don't have much to offer in that. If they come out open to ask for information, I'd give it willingly. 

Usually they're attacking me, or someone over it. Like I mentioned in my previous post, if they mention something like "you're wasting money on that, it sucks for gaming", I tell them I'm not gaming.

18 hours ago, Grungie said:

Usually they're attacking me, or someone over it. Like I mentioned in my previous post, if they mention something like "you're wasting money on that, it sucks for gaming", I tell them I'm not gaming.

If it's an attack on you, it's not wise to keep quiet over it because it means that they would see you as a weakling person and would apparently keep doing that always to you. 

On 6/11/2022 at 8:09 AM, Grungie said:

As a PC gamer myself, you're speaking nothing but facts. The fact that I do know a good portion of PC gamers like this makes it even worse.

47 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

As a PC gamer myself, you're speaking nothing but facts. The fact that I do know a good portion of PC gamers like this makes it even worse.

Someone else knows the struggle.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

37 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Someone else knows the struggle.

There are few things in gaming I hate more the the PC Masters-of-thier-parent's-basements-at-best race. It's just immature fanboyisum from pathetic, insecure little boys and I'm glad the idiots who call themselves PCMR are so rare on these forums. As a PC gamer, I am wholly embarrassed by them.

10 minutes ago, Shagger said:

There are few things in gaming I hate more the the PC Masters-of-thier-parent's-basements-at-best race. It's just immature fanboyisum from pathetic, insecure little boys and I'm glad the idiots who call themselves PCMR are so rare on these forums. As a PC gamer, I am wholly embarrassed by them.

I do it occasionally as banter when people start trashing PC but in no way shape or form do I want to be seriously associated with those hardcore PC fanboys.

39 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I think there needs to be some kind of culture change. I find the concept of “I have the world’s most powerful supercomputer” and “I’m a computer genius” aspects to be obnoxious at best.

The computer genius part confuses me, especially the duality they have over building your own computer. On one hand, if you see someone who’s considering building their own PC, they’ll tell you that it’s super easy. It’s just expensive Lego’s! Then on the opposite end, they’ll also act like it’s a sign of intelligence because they built their own computer. You need to decide if it’s super easy, or you gotta have a big brain to do it.

21 hours ago, Grungie said:

I think there needs to be some kind of culture change. I find the concept of “I have the world’s most powerful supercomputer” and “I’m a computer genius” aspects to be obnoxious at best.

The computer genius part confuses me, especially the duality they have over building your own computer. On one hand, if you see someone who’s considering building their own PC, they’ll tell you that it’s super easy. It’s just expensive Lego’s! Then on the opposite end, they’ll also act like it’s a sign of intelligence because they built their own computer. You need to decide if it’s super easy, or you gotta have a big brain to do it.

Honestly, building a PC nowadays is very easy with the amount of tutorials on Youtube and all over the internet. Modifying it to optimize performance using software takes some know-how and isn't exactly beginner friendly.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, killamch89 said:

Honestly, building a PC nowadays is very easy with the amount of tutorials on Youtube and all over the internet. Modifying it to optimize performance using software takes some know-how and isn't exactly beginner friendly.

Optimization isn't a topic that gets brought up a lot in my experience. Usually I see people telling you to spend more money to compensate. Some of it you can argue for future proofing, or adding longevity, but a lot of the time it was excessive for the sake of being excessive.

I am not okay with people talking down on me, sometimes I overlook it all and sometimes I react immediately , because if you keep taking the blows Everytime without doing anything about it they might  make it  an habit to always try to get on your nerves.  Standing up for yourself at times save you a lot of unnecessary arguments later as those people would know you are not the person to be talked down on and would retreat.