Register Now
Jayson

Ads on TV

TV that comes via the air is free.  In that case, the TV is paid for by ads.  Now, with paid TV, you still got ads.  What is the justification?  Now with Roku, I can sort of understand the situation.   Nobody pays a bill to have free Roku.  

Edited by Jayson

Well in the UK if you want to watch live broadcasts you gotta pay the TV Licence.  Which covers I think 4 channels and the iPlayer catch up app.  I will be honest, most TV, maybe 90% of the original programming is reality shows, soap operas and repeats of the aforementioned crap.  That license costs £159 for a year per household.

The cost of a basic Netflix subscription is £9.99 per subscription or £119.82 per year and you can use it over multiple devices and addresses.  Let's just say... I think it's at least 4 times the content the BBC offers, in terms of quality and quantity.

The most embarrassing thing about all this is the BBC's monetising system is so outdated that I can have 4 TV's streaming each of the 4 main channels 24/7 plus having multiple phone's, tablets, PC's and consoles all running the iPlayer...  And all I have to do is not let their "inspectors" (which in reality are just door to door sales persons) into my house and there is nothing they can do!  The BBC is the most outdated and pitiful company in existence.

On 2/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, Crazycrab said:

Well in the UK if you want to watch live broadcasts you gotta pay the TV Licence.  Which covers I think 4 channels and the iPlayer catch up app.  I will be honest, most TV, maybe 90% of the original programming is reality shows, soap operas and repeats of the aforementioned crap.  That license costs £159 for a year per household.

The cost of a basic Netflix subscription is £9.99 per subscription or £119.82 per year and you can use it over multiple devices and addresses.  Let's just say... I think it's at least 4 times the content the BBC offers, in terms of quality and quantity.

The most embarrassing thing about all this is the BBC's monetising system is so outdated that I can have 4 TV's streaming each of the 4 main channels 24/7 plus having multiple phone's, tablets, PC's and consoles all running the iPlayer...  And all I have to do is not let their "inspectors" (which in reality are just door to door sales persons) into my house and there is nothing they can do!  The BBC is the most outdated and pitiful company in existence.

My guess is that most people don't choose the live broadcasts.  Anyway, how can they monitor who puts an antenna to pick up free TV.   That seems impossible to do.

I think they are overly bland. I don't like adverts anyway but car adverts for example are made for multiple regions and I don't think they do a good job of selling their product. They just go for something in offensive and boring.