Register Now
Jayson

Computer Programming

What languages do you know?  Where did you learn them?   Did you self-learn or take courses?  Did you do both?   How difficult was it to learn what you know?  What is the most difficult language you know?  What is the easiest one? 

For those not into coding, what would you like to learn, if you wanted to do that?

Programming books generally tend to be bad. They're written for people who already know how to program proficiently in something else, and not for people learning the ropes. This was incredibly discouraging to me in the beginning at one point back in collage. I do not know much about software programming thought ;( 

For software, I don't know jack. The only thing I actually know is HTML. I taught myself HTML when I was 16. I know it fully, and tinker with it quite a bit, but haven't built a site in years. I actually took my website down a couple years ago, because traffic slowed down a lot and I just wasn't keeping up with it anymore. There was some Javascript in it, but the issue there was that while I can't write my own Javascript, I can manipulate a prewritten Javascript most of the time.

I have dabbed in programming over the years. 
I am currently taking a course to become a front end developer. 

On 2/22/2022 at 4:21 AM, Empire said:

Programming books generally tend to be bad. They're written for people who already know how to program proficiently in something else, and not for people learning the ropes. This was incredibly discouraging to me in the beginning at one point back in collage. I do not know much about software programming thought ;( 

I definitely agree with this. 
Also they tend to expect the person to already know something without explaining it. 

10 hours ago, Altair said:

Also they tend to expect the person to already know something without explaining it. 

The ...For Dummies series is definitely guilty of this. I've tried a couple of their books in the past, and they were so damn hard to use and understand, that I just threw them in a box and forgot about them. I would much rather take a class or find a private tutor. At least there I would have an actual chance of learning something.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The ...For Dummies series is definitely guilty of this. I've tried a couple of their books in the past, and they were so damn hard to use and understand, that I just threw them in a box and forgot about them. I would much rather take a class or find a private tutor. At least there I would have an actual chance of learning something.

The only good dummies book that was actually useful and good was drawing for dummies. 
Any other book that I have tried in the dummies series was bad and had terrible explanations. 

I know a few basic programming languages like Fortran but I am very much interested in learning more advanced ones like c++, right now I am watching a few YouTube videos on it but I am planning a taking a proper 6 months course.