Jump to content
Register Now
Jayson

Reading

Recommended Posts

What do you like to read as in genres?  What are some specific books you enjoy?   Have you ever thought about writing a book?   What might be a challenge for you?  Where do you buy books?  Do you get books at your library often or sometimes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't read books at all. The interest just isn't there. I often find myself reading without actually reading. I'd read each and every word on the page while not giving it meaning.

Sometimes the interest dies half way through a page and I drag the remaining words. It's difficult for someone like to me have interests in books

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read a wide variety. Fiction mostly in the fantasy realm. One of my absolute favorite books for more than 20 years is Knight's Wyrd.

As for writing, I've answered this on other threads but I'll go ahead and answer it again here.
Yes I write. I've finished 2 full length novels, several short stories, and a hell of a lot of unconventional poetry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not as often as I used to, but I do tend to read at least 3-4 books a year. Just recently last month I finished reading The analyst by John Katzenbach, a suspense triller about a psychopath, it was alright, nothing new or groundbreaking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 4:11 AM, Empire said:

I don't read books at all. The interest just isn't there. I often find myself reading without actually reading. I'd read each and every word on the page while not giving it meaning.

Sometimes the interest dies half way through a page and I drag the remaining words. It's difficult for someone like to me have interests in books

Nothing wrong with that. Reading is not for everyone. 
I had been a reader for years as a kid through my teenage years. Then my interest died out. I forced myself to read a year ago and now enjoy reading again. 

I have thought about writing a book. I started one years ago and want to continue it. However I can't think of anything to write. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 6:15 AM, Altair said:

I have thought about writing a book. I started one years ago and want to continue it. However I can't think of anything to write. 

Why not then 🙂 MAybe you be so good and make many many people happy and you earn some money of all books that you may sell 🙂 

Then again it's publishers that you need to find, that's the hardest part about it all 😞 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 12:15 AM, Altair said:

I have thought about writing a book. I started one years ago and want to continue it. However I can't think of anything to write. 

I've written two novels as well as a few short stories. What I can tell you is go back and read what you have written. It should inspire you with what you want to happen next. The hardest part of a book to write is that first line. After that the book tends to write itself. Well, it does for me at least. But I can give you some pointers.

  • Decide what kind of book you want to write. Fiction of Nonfiction? Is it a narrative?
  • Decide beforehand what you want to write about.
  • Plan the beginning, middle, and end. How do you want things to start off? What do you want to tell about? What do you want the conclusion to be?
  • Describe your characters prior to writing your book. You need to know who you're talking about. Picture them in your mind.
  • Do you have both a protagonist and an antagonist in mind? Describe your antagonist and why they're an antagonist.
  • Develop a bit of an attachment to your characters. That doesn't mean fall in love, but care about them as if they're friends of yours. Or if you prefer, family.
  • Decide beforehand if you're looking to get published, or if you're just doing it because you enjoy it. If you want to be published are you willing to self publish?
  • Remember that you are god in the world you create. It's all your choice what happens.
  • And finally, don't be afraid of doing multiple drafts to change things around. One of my books is on its 8th draft currently and the other is on its 7th. The one on its 8th is about to have a massive chunk scrapped and redone. I never liked that part since the day I wrote it, and still can't figure out why in the everliving hell I kept it.

If you have any other questions or anything you can always ask. You can PM me or ask publicly.

 

5 hours ago, Empire said:

Why not then 🙂 MAybe you be so good and make many many people happy and you earn some money of all books that you may sell 🙂 

Then again it's publishers that you need to find, that's the hardest part about it all 😞 

You can seek out a publisher or self publish. Personally I recommend looking for a publisher, as opposed to self publishing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like fiction, generally speaking.   I like books on "how to do things".  I like books about history and political science.

Anyway, I like fiction in a movie, though.  I've not really tried to read fiction that much.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tend to like a wide variety. I like to learn so it varies. Self help, holistic, alternative health, wildlife. Not into novels though. Used to read novels growing up, now I focus more on keeping healthy. I don't have a favorite author. I just pick a book that looks interesting from the library.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ZandraJoi said:

I tend to like a wide variety. I like to learn so it varies. Self help, holistic, alternative health, wildlife. Not into novels though. Used to read novels growing up, now I focus more on keeping healthy. I don't have a favorite author. I just pick a book that looks interesting from the library.

If you like self help books you should check out Larry Winget. His book Shut Up, Stop Whining, & Get A Life is one of his better self help books. He's referred to as "the pitbull of personal development". Another book that was mostly written as satire (I think) is The Fuck It List by Kevin Pryslak. Instead of things he is looking to do before he dies, it's all stuff that he is saying hell no to. Things like visiting every continent, skydiving, kissing the Blarney Stone, joining a commune, and all sorts of other stuff. His take is funny as hell.

 

2416f41cee7a7af12faa906bce695db7acdbe5eb.jpg

71-EATAls3L.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do enjoy reading a lot of fiction works especially the one's by George R. R. Martin. My favorite amongst his books are Game of Thrones, Fire and Blood and A Dance with Dragons. 

I only write poems! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a kid, I loved reading fiction books especially fantasy based ones. I loved reading books from the Percy Jackson and Gone series and honestly, I could easily read them now without getting bored. I don't really read much books now due to a lack of time but I like to read biographies when I do have some time

Edited by Darth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Darth said:

As a kid, I loved reading fiction books especially fantasy based ones. I loved reading books from the Percy Jackson and Gone series and honestly, I could easily read them now without getting bored. I don't really read much books now due to a lack of time but I like to read biographies when I do have some time

I used to have a little interest in drawing fiction stories but as I grew older, I lost that inspiration and it went in full time in poems. I have over 30 poems now and still writing more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...