Register Now
Techno

Russia Invaded Ukraine

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Actually, the USA engaged in a covert operation- Operation Cyclone to help Afghans fight the Soviets,

I heard about that, it started with a KGB operation that assassinated the then Afghan President Hafizullah Amin, then the Soviets invaded.  The CIA covertly provided the Afghans with weapons and training to fight the Soviets.

What I'm saying isn't sympathizing with Putin.  I understand he is some thug.  Well, I guess he was democratically elected, but he did a lot of dirty deeds to stay in power I think.  

However, I think the US may have been provoking Russia, which caused the invasion. It's like trying to provoke a bear.  Is that a wise move?  

On 3/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, Jayson said:

What I'm saying isn't sympathizing with Putin.  I understand he is some thug.  Well, I guess he was democratically elected, but he did a lot of dirty deeds to stay in power I think.  

However, I think the US may have been provoking Russia, which caused the invasion. It's like trying to provoke a bear.  Is that a wise move?  

Russia and Putin in particular has had border disputes with a number of their former Soviet neighbors for years, not mention disagreements with NATO and the EU among other things.  None of it justify's the invasion and I'm not going to claim to understand it very well but the US seems to have very little directly to do with his choice. 

I fear that sanctions directed at the Russian people instead of Russia especially on behalf of big-tech will not have the effect they hope. Instead of turning on Putin they'll hate the west and push them towards ultra nationalism, and possibly a new era of isolation, a second iron curtain if you will.

I don't know how they think that cutting off the Russian people from western services and information will help. They should shower them with accurate reports to counter state propaganda, not cut them off.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, m76 said:

They should shower them with accurate reports to counter state propaganda, not cut them off.

How can they do that when social media has been cut off in Russia and reporters and all people are threatened 15 years imprisonment for saying anything 'unapproved?' 13,500 Russian protestors have been arrested since the invasion started and police use excessive force and try to stop freedom of assembly. Police are even stopping people to search their phones for messages and photos. 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/03/09/russia-brutal-arrests-and-torture-ill-treatment-anti-war-protesters

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/4/22961472/russia-fake-news-law-military-ukraine-invasion-casualties-jail-time

3 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

How can they do that when social media has been cut off in Russia and reporters and all people are threatened 15 years imprisonment for saying anything 'unapproved?' 13,500 Russian protestors have been arrested since the invasion started and police use excessive force and try to stop freedom of assembly. Police are even stopping people to search their phones for messages and photos. 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/03/09/russia-brutal-arrests-and-torture-ill-treatment-anti-war-protesters

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/4/22961472/russia-fake-news-law-military-ukraine-invasion-casualties-jail-time

How does russia imprison big tech from california? You seem to be missing what I'm saying. Companies like paypal and google pay who cut off access to russian citizens only fuel hate towards the west. Instead of punishing the ordinary russian citizen they should use their platforms to show an unbiased view on the war to them to oppose the state propaganda.

10 minutes ago, m76 said:

How does russia imprison big tech from california? You seem to be missing what I'm saying. Companies like paypal and google pay who cut off access to russian citizens only fuel hate towards the west. Instead of punishing the ordinary russian citizen they should use their platforms to show an unbiased view on the war to them to oppose the state propaganda.

That's like grounding a child and let them have pizza and toys to play with. 

On 3/8/2022 at 1:51 AM, Jayson said:

WTF is the U.S. then, a damn pussy cat? All you keep doing is praise Russia for selfish political reasons. Instead of facing a crisis from a mad man, you blame others. Real fucking mature. 

5 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

WTF is the U.S. then, a damn pussy cat? All you keep doing is praise Russia for selfish political reasons. Instead of facing a crisis from a mad man, you blame others. Real fucking mature. 

There's so much hypocrisy.  O.K., well you say the US should take a stand.  Well, shouldn't have China or Russia taken a stand with Iraq?  Oh, wait.  They couldn't.  In fact, at the time, nothing was done to sanction the US, except a lot of foreigners hated Americans, but of course, you had to travel to experience it.

2 minutes ago, Jayson said:

There's so much hypocrisy.  O.K., well you say the US should take a stand.  Well, shouldn't have China or Russia taken a stand with Iraq?  Oh, wait.  They couldn't.  In fact, at the time, nothing was done to sanction the US, except a lot of foreigners hated Americans, but of course, you had to travel to experience it.

Again, you fail to understand that this isn’t about the USA. There are countries all over the world that sanctioned Russia. There are corporations and businesses that have also responded worldwide. Stop your anti American fussing and placing all blame on one country when asshole Putin has committed war crimes and triggered a worldwide response. Nobody forced Russia to attack civilians in Ukraine, attack the country of Ukraine, attack their own Russian citizens, commit war crimes, kidnap mayors, put nuclear plants at risk, and the list will continue to grow. You stay stuck on the USA with whatever hatred you have and keep sucking up to Russia. How’s Russia scrotum taste? 

4 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Again, you fail to understand that this isn’t about the USA. There are countries all over the world that sanctioned Russia. There are corporations and businesses that have also responded worldwide. Stop your anti American fussing and placing all blame on one country when asshole Putin has committed war crimes and triggered a worldwide response. Nobody forced Russia to attack civilians in Ukraine, attack the country of Ukraine, attack their own Russian citizens, commit war crimes, kidnap mayors, put nuclear plants at risk, and the list will continue to grow. You stay stuck on the USA with whatever hatred you have and keep sucking up to Russia. How’s Russia scrotum taste? 

The list goes on and on about American interference in Latin America and places, usually to combat the lesser evil, Communism.   In that case, plenty of people there would say similar things about American sympathizers.   War is so politically incorrect.  How can you really pinpoint evil?

On 2/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Russian troops are seizing the Chernobyl power plant too according to Ukraine president. What is their intention at that hazardous site? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-troops-chernobyl-nuclear-plant-ukraine/

There was an update that the power plant went offline at one point and it's something that's very dangerous. 

On 3/17/2022 at 2:22 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's like grounding a child and let them have pizza and toys to play with. 

The russian citizens did not want to attack ukraine, punishing them will only make them turn away from the west and become ultra nationalists. It is insanity. We want the Russian people on our side, not on Putin's.