Register Now
Techno

How Should A Website/Government Response To Extremism

1 minute ago, Techno said:

@Heatman @Reality vs Adventure

This was a debate that began over in the Unpopular Options, Reality suggested moving it over to debate.

The question stands as: How Should A Website/Government Response To Extremism?

The likes of @Shaggerand @Withywarlockwould definitely have something interesting to chip in on this. Let's all rally on this one guys. 

I think the first thing we should debate about, is what extremism is. For me, it's a intense reaction to things. The definition of extreme (according to Merriam Dictionary) is "going to great or exaggerated lengths", and  "most advanced or thoroughgoing", this is more or less saying that extremes ,when it comes to politics, are a overabundance of reaction. The problem with extremism is that it becomes overly violent.

Edited by Techno

I would like to be more creative with it by saying that it's using a 6 inches nail on something when you're supposed to make use of thumb tacks. 

9 minutes ago, Techno said:

I think the first thing we should debate about, is what extremism is. For me, it's a intense reaction to things. The definition of extreme (according to Merriam Dictionary) is "going to great or exaggerated lengths", and  "most advanced or thoroughgoing", this is more or less saying that extremes ,when it comes to politics, are a overabundance of reaction. The problem with extremism is that it becomes overly violent.

33 minutes ago, Heatman said:

The likes of @Shaggerand @Withywarlockwould definitely have something interesting to chip in on this. Let's all rally on this one guys. 

I'm not exactly sure why what I would have to say on this subject would be more interesting or relevant, but I'll chime in.

The notable difference between extremism and free speech is how it impacts other people. It is no longer your right to express something when that impedes on the rights or safety of somebody else. So, if a website is hosting something that's meant to spread hate, then that is not free speech. Saying "I hate insert" is free speech. You don't have to like it or agree it, but that is free speech. Saying "this is why you should hate insert"  is more questionable, and defiantly over line to say "should be violent towards insert". Such conversations online are no different to such conversations in real life. 

Edited by Shagger

I think the biggest problem when it comes with how websites handle extremism is that they don't ask the big question: Why are they being extreme?

Something I see so little of, is people talking about why people do hateful things, they won't talk about the factors that lead to hate. A lot of hate is caused by a lack of understanding, people get angry when they don't really understand why something is happening to them, so they blame it on others because it's a lot more understandable than any outside factors that gave them the problems.

My initial reaction when I think of extremism is terrorism, but I guess that isn't always the case; although I do believe it's an end game. Countries need to redefine their terrorism laws. For example, Canada has banned Proud Boys while USA politicians hire them as security. Italy and Germany have more strict laws against neo nazis, while in my country they can protest and wave flags as if they were ISIS with rights. And there are those who wave confederate flags everywhere. That flag represents those who lost a civil war in my country who were pro slavery. I would have banned those flags a long time ago. It has no place in society. 

So staying within the constitution, we need to define terrorism laws because while where I am, we have international/foreign terrorism laws but not domestic. Sad to say, but even if we did define domestic terrorism, those extremist politicians will try to use those laws against political opponents, protestors, and movements. 

We need to use all our resources and infiltrate extremist networks. I'm talking straight CIA/FBI/NSA/007/Green Beret shit and bring them down like it was the American Italian mafia wars. 

10 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

We need to use all our resources and infiltrate extremist networks. I'm talking straight CIA/FBI/NSA/007/Green Beret shit and bring them down like it was the American Italian mafia wars. 

And before people get their panties bundled, I'm talking about real actual terrorist threats, not some angry guy yelling. I'm talking about those that plan attacks, have illegal weapons, catch them in the act by infiltrating them.

For example, a couple years ago a few far right people were arrested by the FBI in a plot to kidnap the Michigan governor. And their defense is that the FBI set them up and made them do it. Fuck that. If they were caught in the act, they are guilty whether they were given aid or not. So set them up for all I give a damn. They still have a choice to partake in terrorism or not. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:16 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

And before people get their panties bundled, I'm talking about real actual terrorist threats, not some angry guy yelling. I'm talking about those that plan attacks, have illegal weapons, catch them in the act by infiltrating them.

For example, a couple years ago a few far right people were arrested by the FBI in a plot to kidnap the Michigan governor. And their defense is that the FBI set them up and made them do it. Fuck that. If they were caught in the act, they are guilty whether they were given aid or not. So set them up for all I give a damn. They still have a choice to partake in terrorism or not. 

How in the world would the FBI set them up to commit acts of terror and still end up having them arrested. These guys are unbelievable most of the time. 

I do agree @Technoabout trying to understand what triggers the extremist and try to correct it when it's not off the point of no return. Where I have stern point is on those that have extremists radicalized. They deserve the nailing hard!!!