Register Now
NightmareFarm

Top 5 favourite JRPGs?

4 hours ago, egghead said:

Genshin Impact was not made in Japan, yet it is categorized is JPRG.

My point exactly. To me what makes a JRPG is they style and design of the game, not where it's made.

Edited by Shagger

On 4/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, Shagger said:

I'm not sure. To me, the JRPG has a very distikive style that was very much created and developed in Japan, but I wouldn't an RPG game is a JRPG just because it was developed in Japan. Take Dragon's Dogma, even though it was made by Capcom it's still a western style RPG.

I have never played Dragon Dogma so I wasnt even aware that was not made in Japan. Well thats true you are right for a game to be consider in that JRPG style it doesnt has to be neccearly made in japan. Hell I think nowadays even the RPG term is very loose, so I stand corrected.

8 hours ago, egghead said:

Genshin Impact was not made in Japan, yet it is categorized is JPRG.

Some gamers that aren't well informed used to think that it's the location where a game is made, decides if it's a JPRG but they are so wrong. 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, kingpotato said:

I have never played Dragon Dogma so I wasnt even aware that was not made in Japan. Well thats true you are right for a game to be consider in that JRPG style it doesnt has to be neccearly made in japan. Hell I think nowadays even the RPG term is very loose, so I stand corrected.

Pretty sure dragon's dogma was made in japan since the director  was behind the orignal devil may cry game and many classic capcom fighters. It still has the somewhat japanese style especially the characters imo, i think the most unique system the game offers is that up to two of your companions can be downloaded from other players, like you could have my main character as a companion in your game well should you wish to do so, i tought that was a cool feature for the time.

DD also had bosses that you could climb similair to shadown of the colossus, their was something satisfying climbing a giant snake with several heads and cutting them off one by one. Other then that it's quite good from what i remember, the combat is more on the hack and slash side which i like, can't comment on the other classes since i always end playing as a warrior/fighter type class in rpg's.

i'm sorry i can't add more as it's been like what 10 years since i played it, i also remember that it originally came with a resident evil 6 demo download code, no doubt to sell more units not that it needed it offcourse as it was by far the better game. 

Despite owning it i never got around to playing the remastered dark arisen version version, so i suppose that would be the version to get. 

On a sidenote i'm still on the hunt for a japanese 360 collectors edition that came with a dragon statue. I either forget about the auction or the asking price is way too much ahwell fucking first world problems man it never ends.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, kingpotato said:

Unpopular opinion here : I didnt like Persona 5...

It's the combat system of the game that I really hated so much especially with Persona 5. The restrictive game play of limited HP/MP per run makes it less fun to play. 

Just now, Heatman said:

It's the combat system of the game that I really hated so much especially with Persona 5. The restrictive game play of limited HP/MP per run makes it less fun to play. 

No thats not it, combat was okay, it was the fact that for every battle there was 20 min of text and battles are short, so most of the time I was reading something rather than playing. Im used to playing jrpgs but persona 5 was closer to a visual novel rather than an rpg, but maybe I just didnt spend to much time with it, I only invested a whole afternoon on it, about 3-4 hours.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

No thats not it, combat was okay, it was the fact that for every battle there was 20 min of text and battles are short, so most of the time I was reading something rather than playing. Im used to playing jrpgs but persona 5 was closer to a visual novel rather than an rpg, but maybe I just didnt spend to much time with it, I only invested a whole afternoon on it, about 3-4 hours.

You're very correct about the battle being short and some of them are kind of repetitive, I don't know if you felt the same way playing them or was it just me? 

27 minutes ago, Heatman said:

You're very correct about the battle being short and some of them are kind of repetitive, I don't know if you felt the same way playing them or was it just me? 

I never said anything about combat being repetitive. Let me clarify myself, my problem with the game was not the battles but the pacing of the game, there was too much text between battles and battles were short, so for every 10 min of battle there was basically 20 min of text, or at least thats how it felt to me.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, kingpotato said:

Unpopular opinion here : I didnt like Persona 5...

I never got to play Persona 5 and from what I can pick up further on the discussion, it doesn't seem like it's something that I should consider 😂. Let me stick to the one's that meets my criteria.