Register Now
NightmareFarm

Top 5 favourite JRPGs?

The earlier mention of Yakuza is interesting to me because while it is a Japanese-made roleplaying game that's set in Japan, I never would've considered it a 'JRPG' as a genre. But then that's just one facet of the horrors of RPG discussion: what they are, and what they aren't, and then proceeding to call people gatekeepers. Much as I like Yakuza, I'm gonna be Today's Designated Gatekeeperâ„¢ and say it's not a JRPG in the sense of its style. That also means I won't be including another Japanese game that I very much like, Valkyria Chronicles.

1. Enchanted Arms. By From Software, strangely enough. Xbox 360 exclusive, its combat was quite tactical and revolved around positioning on a grid. I don't remember much more than that.
  2. Eternal Sonata. I don't remember much about this other than its art style was gorgeous and the music was great (which it had to be given this is about a dying Chopin's final dreams).
  3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Not got far through this one but I really enjoy it. Likeable characters, understandable mechanics and some great combat mechanics.
  4. The Adventures of Monkey Hero. I don't expect anyone to know this one, and it's only really on the list because it's styled after Secret of Mana (Legend of Zelda is also frequently mentioned, much to the chargrin of Zelda fans who don't consider the games to be RPGs). It got ragged on by critics everywhere but it's a fine enough game, and it has some catchy tunes throughout.
  5. Final Fantasy X-2. I'm currently making my way through FFX and it's honestly not that bad (though its story is hard to follow at times; nowt new there then), but X-2 was a game I adored to no end during middle school. I look forward to finishing X just so I can understand the plot of its sequel better.

That's a list that's never been seen before! 😅

4 hours ago, Jasmin said:

In my opinion Final Fantasy and Assassin's Creed are very interesting RPG. They say The Witcher is good but I have not played it.

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt is a very good one. Most of my friends that play RPGs all liked and enjoyed playing it. If you are a fan of RPG games, you will like it. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt is a very good one. Most of my friends that play RPGs all liked and enjoyed playing it. If you are a fan of RPG games, you will like it. 

Dude the thread is about JRPGs, The Witcher 3 is not an JRPG

9 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

The earlier mention of Yakuza is interesting to me because while it is a Japanese-made roleplaying game that's set in Japan, I never would've considered it a 'JRPG' as a genre. But then that's just one facet of the horrors of RPG discussion: what they are, and what they aren't, and then proceeding to call people gatekeepers. Much as I like Yakuza, I'm gonna be Today's Designated Gatekeeperâ„¢ and say it's not a JRPG in the sense of its style. That also means I won't be including another Japanese game that I very much like, Valkyria Chronicles.

1. Enchanted Arms. By From Software, strangely enough. Xbox 360 exclusive, its combat was quite tactical and revolved around positioning on a grid. I don't remember much more than that.
  2. Eternal Sonata. I don't remember much about this other than its art style was gorgeous and the music was great (which it had to be given this is about a dying Chopin's final dreams).
  3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Not got far through this one but I really enjoy it. Likeable characters, understandable mechanics and some great combat mechanics.
  4. The Adventures of Monkey Hero. I don't expect anyone to know this one, and it's only really on the list because it's styled after Secret of Mana (Legend of Zelda is also frequently mentioned, much to the chargrin of Zelda fans who don't consider the games to be RPGs). It got ragged on by critics everywhere but it's a fine enough game, and it has some catchy tunes throughout.
  5. Final Fantasy X-2. I'm currently making my way through FFX and it's honestly not that bad (though its story is hard to follow at times; nowt new there then), but X-2 was a game I adored to no end during middle school. I look forward to finishing X just so I can understand the plot of its sequel better.

That's a list that's never been seen before! 😅

Enchanted arms was also released on Ps3 just a year later after the 360 version. Also Yakuza like a dragon is turn based instead of the usual beat em up style so i think you could classify that one as jrpg.

It's quite an interesting list with games you don't see mentioned that often, Eternal Sonata great game nobody seems to have played, well atleast that makes two of us now.

Just noticed i haven't listed my top 5 jrpg so here we go, kinda hard to nail it down to just 5 or maybe i need to do 5 old games and 5 new games but would that be cheating so a mixture of both then? I'll just stick to turn based games

Phantasy Star IV -> Hands down my favourite jrpg of all time and as far as i remember the first jrpg i've ever beaten. It still looks good and is as fun as ever, like a hipster would say it has aged like fine wine. It's been ported to pretty every system inc modern ones so maybe you should give it a go. yes i'm Looking at you @kingpotato

Skies of Arcadia -> Sadly mostly forgotten over time, this would be my top pick for a game that deserves a remaster/remake. Wheter you play it on dreamcast or gamecube you'll likely going to have a blast anyway. A timeless classic.

Yakuza Like A Dragon -> Yeah i'm going to include it aswell, it's amazing how they changed the yakuza style and made it even better then it already was. They also replaced my favourite video game character of all time Kazuma Kiryu effortlessly. The new main protagonist Ichiban Kasuga is just a likeable and the support characters are deserving of their own game with their own back story yes they are that good.

Final Fantasy 8 -> Kinda boring i know, i'll take it over 7 because it's the first final fantasy i played. 

Persona 4 Golden -> The main reason to keep a ps vita around, i'll just list persona 4 because i sadly haven't gotten around playing persona 5 yet, i have the game though, just don't know if i have the time to play trough it because i know once i start playing i'll hooked for the next few weeks.

50 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Enchanted arms was also released on Ps3 just a year later after the 360 version. Also Yakuza like a dragon is turn based instead of the usual beat em up style so i think you could classify that one as jrpg.

It's quite an interesting list with games you don't see mentioned that often, Eternal Sonata great game nobody seems to have played, well atleast that makes two of us now.

Just noticed i haven't listed my top 5 jrpg so here we go, kinda hard to nail it down to just 5 or maybe i need to do 5 old games and 5 new games but would that be cheating so a mixture of both then? I'll just stick to turn based games

Phantasy Star IV -> Hands down my favourite jrpg of all time and as far as i remember the first jrpg i've ever beaten. It still looks good and is as fun as ever, like a hipster would say it has aged like fine wine. It's been ported to pretty every system inc modern ones so maybe you should give it a go. yes i'm Looking at you @kingpotato

Alright I will add it to my backlog list xD but it will probably take me some time to get to it , looks cool actually, it has that 90s anime style

Sorry, I forgot the thread was bout JRPG and mentioned about non-JRPG games. Bu Final Fantasy is certainly a JRPG, in fact it is one of the earliest JRPGs. Some people even say it is first JRPG (but I am not certain about that)