Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you personally define RPGs?

The definition is in the name, "Role Playing Game", but it's kind of a loose definition these days.

Back in the 80's and 90's when different genres of gaming were being defined the RPG was a clear and specific style which included games like Final Fantasy, The Legend of Zelda, Earthbound and so on.  You "played a role" actively engaging in a story.  The goal being to experience the story and challenges from the perspective of the character(s) your playing.

In most other genre's like side scrollers, beat-em-ups, shooters, Tournament Fighters, sports games and so on were more simple and monotonous.  They were not as focused on storytelling and characters and the goal was generally always the same.  Get to the end of the stage, beat your opponent, get the high score, win the game, you get the idea.

Since then though, the elements that once defined RPG's have made their way into just about every other genre and the line between RPG and everything else has gotten a little blurry.  There are still RPGs that are clear cut like Final Fantasy XV, Skyrim and Fallout 4.  Then there's some that seem kinda debatable, like is Dark Souls an RPG or a hack and slash?  Is GTA V an RPG or a sandbox?  Is Metal Gear Solid V an RPG or a Stealth action game?  Are any of them both...  CAN they be both?

Like @Head_Hunter said:

4 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

For me it has no specific definition, everyone has his/her own view around RPG. 

It's so unclear now that everyone has a different idea of what an RPG is.  It's an interesting discussion.  For me though, I going to stick as close as possible to the original definition.

An RPG is a game that includes gameplay challenges for the player but where experiencing the story and characters remains the primary objective.  Other game genre's are capable of engaging the player in a way that pushes them with the sentiment of "I want to get past this part to see what happens next". Any game that is pushing you forward for another reason however, is most certainly NOT one.

Edited by Crazycrab

I'm a bit confused on what an RPG is because it seems any game can be role-playing; even sports where you role play as a great athlete. Or role play as a soldier. To me, role playing is putting yourself into a character. Even more so, role playing would seem more likely to be in 3rd person, as you see the person and their gear and their movements/fighting/magic/weapons. 1st person RPG seems less role playing and more shooter/hack slash. Role playing to me seems like more fantasy/adventure rather than something like horror. Horror, you aren't fantasizing and getting in character, you are the character getting scared. So that isn't role playing. But some horror can be RPG like Witcher 3 for example. You role play as a witcher, and fight different lore. I think lore is the key to role playing. Even more so if your character isn't just a regular human, but rather someone who is a great warrior, or athlete even, or superhero, victim of some sort like sci fi experiments; or a god/goddess, civilian going through extraordinary measures as a protector of people. Almost anything can be role playing. Just playing a video game you are already role playing. 

That's just my thoughts and how I perceive RPG. So as you can see, I'm confused by what exactly should/should not be RPG.

21 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

It's so unclear now that everyone has a different idea of what an RPG is.  It's an interesting discussion.  For me though, I going to stick as close as possible to the original definition.

An RPG is a game that includes gameplay challenges for the player but where experiencing the story and characters remains the primary objective.  Other game genre's are capable of engaging the player in a way that pushes them with the sentiment of "I want to get past this part to see what happens next". Any game that is pushing you forward for another reason however, is most certainly NOT one.

Well said Crazycrab, that's the true definition of RPG, it involves challenges from opponents. Such challenge keeps pushing the player to keep the progress alive, moving to the next level. 

Yeah technically all games where you control a character are role playing games. As in you play a role.

However I think the term has a very different meaning than the dictionary definition when you say a videogame is an RPG It denotes a type of game that has a certain set of features such as:

• Leveling
  • XP (or some form of it)
  • Stats (such as weapon and character stats that decide battles rather than being governed by player skill alone)
  • Inventory management
  • Interactable NPCs

I think these are the basic pillars that turn a game into an RPG.

Specifically, a role-playing game is a game in which you take on the role of the character(s). The term role-playing game has evolved through the years. What once was an almost entirely imagination-based game made up of rule sets and a few illustrations has broadened to become an element in nearly every genre of videogame. Specifically, a role playing game is a game in which you take on the role of the character(s). The term role-playing game has evolved through the years. What once was an almost entirely imagination-based game made up of rule sets and a few illustrations has broadened to become an element in nearly every genre of videogame.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

What once was an almost entirely imagination-based game made up of rule sets and a few illustrations has broadened to become an element in nearly every genre of videogame.

I can't agree more with this sentence.

I also feel like the word Rpg is overused in games anwyay for example nearly every racing game has leveling up and xp in their games these days to a degree where it makes you wonder what's the point off it. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:03 PM, StaceyPowers said:

How do you define the term “roleplaying game?” I feel it has more to do with the mechanics (levelling, progression, skill options, etc.) than “playing a role” per se.

Personally, I think that the name does the definition for me perfectly in a way I'm not bothered about anything else. 

The whole point of RPG is that i's a role-playing game. It can be vast in different types of genres. Or it could just be a simple RPG. It can be something like Skyrim, or something like Fable. 

It's weird, you'd think an RPG would be just about every game out there, considering you're taking the role of someone. 

On 3/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, Yaramaki said:

I can't agree more with this sentence.

I also feel like the word Rpg is overused in games anwyay for example nearly every racing game has leveling up and xp in their games these days to a degree where it makes you wonder what's the point off it. 

It's the basis of what most of such games have come to being now, and it's why you get to see all of them being linked to RPG.