Register Now
Yaramaki

Should the Current gen consoles have been delayed?

As title says

Since both ps5/xbox series s/x have been released about a year and a half ago, mind you in the middle of the pandemic. You still can't buy them anywhere trough normal means as the only way is overpaying to a third party seller, well unless you get lucky.

I feel like sony and microsoft should have delayed next gen consoles atleast a year and make sure there was as much as possible stock avaible at launch. I know the pandemic caused shortage of supply on certain parts but it could have been avoided for a part if they delayed the launch. You now have a situation where both sony and microsoft lose sales due to scalpers buying them up like crazy, money otherwise would have flowed back to the console manufacters.

My mom managed to place an order for a series x back in september, she got the console in january, so i was lucky to get atleast my preferred system. Bar the loading times i don't really see much difference compared to my xbox one x. Can't talk about ps5 yet but since most of sony their exclusive are coming to ps4 i don't really see a reason either to be in a hurry to get a ps5.

I don't think so. Delaying the console wouldn't have done anything because they would literally just be holding on to the stock as they build more. Why waste resources on hoarding a large number of consoles until you have more? The good thing is that they have been able to slowly improve on the stock numbers so hopefully more people will be able to get their hands on a Series X or PS5 soon.

What really affected the new gen was the pandemic, if it wasnt for the pandemic probably the ps5 and the XSX/S would have probably be selling better. Xbox really needed the next gen console since nobody was purchasing the xbox one anymore, even at point gamestop was selling xbox one consoles like for a 100 dlls, the ps4 on the other hand was still selling, not as much as prior years but it the go-to console. In my opinion we could have gone another couple of years without the upgrade, hell even today most people dont need to upgrade, but I guess that by the end of 2022 we might have to.

6 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

The xbox one x was barely 2 years on the market before they lauched series x/s, ps4 pro like what 3 years, so surely both consoles could have lasted atleast 2 more years.

True, I understand that there were console upgrades they could just push, but it was time for a change. It has been seven to eight years, the time was ripe for change.

The marketing was smart to release consoles during a pandemic since people would be at home gaming. Then the chip shortage came. They should have anticipated the demand, but initial releases of consoles are experimental so they release in batches to improve series. Then scalpers finish it off. But who would know war was around the corner further affecting semiconductors. This is the new reality. And now people are going back to work, which is closing the window of excitement that drove the higher demand. So now we will enter the panicky phase due to long term chip shortages. Companies will now start chip hoarding if they haven't already. So this will keep the prices high of newer consoles, deter people from buying, and will affect game development since they now have to make two versions of games for each generation console if they wanted to have any great success. Developers may reconsider to keep making both versions as the norm. 

No. 8th gen felt really long in the tooth back in 2020, I was already tired of playing everything with 2 minute load times and 30fps at that point. Whilst it's hard for people to get their hands on one, if it came out later no one would be able to right now.

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

The xbox one x was barely 2 years on the market before they lauched series x/s, ps4 pro like what 3 years, so surely both consoles could have lasted atleast 2 more years.

I think that from Microsoft point of view they needed to get rid of the Xbox One brand since for the public the console was a failure so they needed something new to show rather than continue with the Xbox One brand. But yeah hardware wise the One X and the PS4 pro could have hold up longer on the current market.

56 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

The marketing was smart to release consoles during a pandemic since people would be at home gaming. Then the chip shortage came. They should have anticipated the demand, but initial releases of consoles are experimental so they release in batches to improve series. Then scalpers finish it off. But who would know war was around the corner further affecting semiconductors. This is the new reality. And now people are going back to work, which is closing the window of excitement that drove the higher demand. So now we will enter the panicky phase due to long term chip shortages. Companies will now start chip hoarding if they haven't already. So this will keep the prices high of newer consoles, deter people from buying, and will affect game development since they now have to make two versions of games for each generation console if they wanted to have any great success. Developers may reconsider to keep making both versions as the norm. 

Yeah I agree it was a smart choice to take advante of that since almost everybody was staying at home, but it was dumb on their end not to anticipate the chip shortage. If it wasnt for the chip shortage the new gen consoles would probably had a higher presence on the market. And yes that is also the reason we are no longer seeing ps5 or xbox X/S exclusives anymore, most developers are adding a ps4/xbox one versions of their games.

Nah, I don't think they needed to do any delays. The reason there is a big problem with scalpers, is because it's easier to do it than in the past. They have bots to help them get in line faster. They find ways to get as many consoles as they can. 

I think this is our unfortunate future with any new consoles. We thought it was bad years ago, but this is just going to get worse. We need laws in place to stop scalping, because it's annoying to not be able to get a console, and to see people charging sometimes double or triple the cost. It's just scummy. 

Delayed overall? No.

but man how did they not see that the stock storage option was garbage. 825GB to play with games that take 100-250GB of space with their update and install file (even if you use the disc version).