Register Now
Techno

I don't like Red Dead Redemption 2

Today I release my biggest gaming hot take: I am not a Red Dead Redemption fan. I am not that much of a westerns type of guy.

Do I understand why people like it? Yes, it's a impressive open world, but I enjoy more "Fantastical" games like BOTW, Skyrim, Halo, or Minecraft. For me, I just can't get into the genre because it gets too generic for me. At least with FPS games, they can feel unique from other FPS games. But westerns always feel the same. I do somewhat enjoy the story, but I am just not that into it. I don't really know what it is, but I'm just not all that into it.

What do you guys think about my hot take? 

Edited by Techno

To each their own. I love RDR2, but I still find RDR1 to be an overall better game. Yes RDR2 has a damn good story, characters and gameplay, but it doesn't do anything different. It's a western like any western would be, and the fact that it's the same ol stuff over and over, it does get repetitive. 

I found NakeyJakey's video on Rockstar's video game design to be a key thing here. Rockstar has become lazy with their game design. RDR2 is a slow game, not in terms of the story, but because you have to ride out to every mission, then ride back a long distance. It can kinda become repetitive. When it comes to GTA, it's kinda the same, but you're at least given a more faster approach. But, watch NakeyJakey's video about his views on RDR2, GTA and rockstars style of game development. Maybe it's time they change the formula up a bit. 

I played it a few hours, but found it boring. The story did not engage me, it all seemed self serving and pointless. None of  the characters were particularly likeable. I've tried exploring too, but it's no skyrim, I wasted hours wandering and didn't find anything that would've made it worthwhile.

It's a typical rockstar game like GTA. Ambiguous characters with motivations that are extremely hard to identify with. But at least in GTA I find the driving bit fun, riding horses however is a chore. The fighting was tedious. It didn't even feel like a western. And finally the gang seemed more like a travelling circus than actual outlaws.

39 minutes ago, m76 said:

I played it a few hours, but found it boring. The story did not engage me, it all seemed self serving and pointless. None of  the characters were particularly likeable. I've tried exploring too, but it's no skyrim, I wasted hours wandering and didn't find anything that would've made it worthwhile.

The World is probably my biggest problem, I'm constantly finding things in Skyrim, in Red Dead, the world is just too big, BOTW was already kinda pushing it. But that game kept the world simple, and not the size of a country. Skyrim is big, but has secrets everywhere, which makes it fun to explore.

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

Your information represents adage that says: another man's food is another man's exhibit. @The BlackangelBlackangel favours the game which you dislike as her number one video game. 

True, but liking a video game is subjective. One person can hate it, while others can dislike it. Nothing wrong with that. I view RDR1 to be a vastly better game myself, but I get why people praise RDR2 over it. To each their own. 

1 hour ago, m76 said:

It's a typical rockstar game like GTA. Ambiguous characters with motivations that are extremely hard to identify with. But at least in GTA I find the driving bit fun, riding horses however is a chore. The fighting was tedious. It didn't even feel like a western. And finally the gang seemed more like a travelling circus than actual outlaws.

Well Skyrim doesn't really have fleshed out characters that you follow throughout the story at least not from what I recall. Yeah you have characters, but I'd argue there's more character within RDR2 than in Skyrim. There's a lot to find in the world of RDR2, from hidden secrets, random characters scattered across the world and so on. Not only that, you encounter ambushes, treasures, caves, weird characters, etc. 

23 minutes ago, Techno said:

The World is probably my biggest problem, I'm constantly finding things in Skyrim, in Red Dead, the world is just too big, BOTW was already kinda pushing it. But that game kept the world simple, and not the size of a country. Skyrim is big, but has secrets everywhere, which makes it fun to explore.

The world can be a bit too open, but as you venture out, you start to find things. Ambushes, weird characters scattered across the world and more. How long did you stick with RDR2 before you stopped playing? 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

True, but liking a video game is subjective. One person can hate it, while others can dislike it. Nothing wrong with that. I view RDR1 to be a vastly better game myself, but I get why people praise

Yeah, what you said is just the truth. One's favourite can be another's exhibit, and their is nothing wrong with that. We all have our preferences, I can choose to love whatever and hate whatever too. 

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Well Skyrim doesn't really have fleshed out characters that you follow throughout the story at least not from what I recall. Yeah you have characters, but I'd argue there's more character within RDR2 than in Skyrim. There's a lot to find in the world of RDR2, from hidden secrets, random characters scattered across the world and so on. Not only that, you encounter ambushes, treasures, caves, weird characters, etc. 

Skyrim's characters are basically placeholders, but start exploring in skyrim you bump into interesting stuff and places everywhere. In RDR2 I wasted hours walking around and found nothing of interest.

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

The world can be a bit too open, but as you venture out, you start to find things. Ambushes, weird characters scattered across the world and more. How long did you stick with RDR2 before you stopped playing? 

Yeah ambushes that was the last straw for me when after riding for what seemed like an eternity to a poi, I get ambushed and die.

I checked, I was 17% into the story, with 4 hours 30 minutes of playtime. I'm actually surprised I lasted that long, I thought I quit sooner than that.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, Justin11 said:

Your information represents adage that says: another man's food is another man's exhibit. @The Blackangel favors the game which you dislike as her number one video game. 

It's one of my all time favorites, but it's not my number one game. That credit goes all the way back to an NES title. But I will say that this is one of the absolute best games I have ever played in my life.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:40 PM, Techno said:

About 3-5 hours, was enough for me to get the idea of the game, lost interest and went back to Skyrim.

That's it? You didn't even give the game a chance. Did you even make it out of chapter one? If so, did you move past chapter 2? Which challenges did you do? Herbalist? Horseman? Weapons Master? Gambler? Any of the others? What about the Stranger Missions? How many of them did you do? How much did you try to fill up your compendium? How many enemy gangs did you fight? Which towns had you been to? Had you upgraded any of your equipment? Had you found any of the treasures? Did you hunt or fish for any of the legendary animals?

There's immensely more than that. More than I can mention. it bugs the hell out of me when people only give a game like this a quick try and never play it again because they think the game has nothing. If it's just not the kind of game you like that's one thing. But to quit after only a couple hours and say it has nothing isn't fair to the game. It takes days to begin to get a sense of the game. You have to stick with it, or watch someone else play it. That's how I got into it. I watched @Rain Dew play it. I never enjoyed western games either. I was and always will be a fantasy girl. But this game expanded my horizons far beyond what I would have thought possible. I'm not trying to change your mind, or tell you that you're wrong. I do disagree with you, but to each their own. I just feel that you didn't give the game a fair shot.

4 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

It's one of my all time favorites, but it's not my number one game. That credit goes all the way back to an NES title. But I will say that this is one of the absolute best games I have ever played in my life.

I knew it was one of your best, due to how you always express yourself around the video game. And what truly amaze you the more playing RDR-2, which was simply intriguing with the game. 

Don't get me wrong, I still really like RDR2, but I think Rockstar forgot that people buy a Rockstar game to be able to 'do anything they want, when they want', with the consequences of your dirty deeds (wanted levels and bounties) leaving you after you die

not to get ridiculous bounties (that stay with you beyond death) for bumping into people or running over a dog by accident. Add this to the lack of fast travel, confusing inventory and health system, and the monotonous day to day walking-pace life in camp, and you've got a game that feels just too much like chore at times.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:40 AM, Techno said:

About 3-5 hours, was enough for me to get the idea of the game, lost interest and went back to Skyrim.

And the same thing is what happened to my friend when he started playing Skyrim. He never completed it till date.