Register Now
Jayson

Afraid of Free Speech

Why should Putin be afraid of free speech?   Why should Facebook be afraid to let Putin have a page?   I mean, that's not condoning him.   Well, why would they let George W. Bush have a page after Iraq?  I mean, assuming they were around then, which they weren't.

People on many sides of the spectrum are being shut up.   What good is it?  Well, I can see some extreme examples - like the USA sucking up to Hitler's Germany at the 36 Olympics.   If Facebook existed back then, would they give Hitler his own page?

What are you talking about? 1st off, Facebook is not the government, it is a corporation which has its own policies. And you ask why should Putin be afraid of free speech when he just blocked Facebook and Twitter access to citizens and now is enforcing imprisonment to anyone that speaks out about anything their government doesn’t approve of. Are you a Putin sympathizer? 

Just now, Reality vs Adventure said:

What are you talking about? 1st off, Facebook is not the government, it is a corporation which has its own policies. And you ask why should Putin be afraid of free speech when he just blocked Facebook and Twitter access to citizens and now is enforcing imprisonment to anyone that speaks out about anything their government doesn’t approve of. Are you a Putin sympathizer? 

I'm not a sympathizer.  I'm neutral.  I just can't totally buy either story, yet.   Anyway, of course, Putin banned access to his own citizens.  Is he afraid people will report Russian troop movements?  I don't know.   

Well you have two countries-the one invading has blocked social media and a reporter reported that police are seizing people’s phones to look at their messages and photos.

The country getting attacked wants media access, as some of their communication towers were destroyed. And they are now depending on Starlink to try and get internet. I'm not much of a user of social media, but I'm definitely an advocate of the importance in having social media access. Internet and social media is important in times like this to let the world see what is going on.

So you obviously fail to see and are probably denying the fact that Russia is the oppressor of free speech. If a country has a justification to fight another country, they won’t block social media access. Russia has just expanded their crackdown of free speech by passing a new law that will jail anybody for 15 years for saying 'war' or 'invasion' and that includes the press. All reporters now have to stop their live broadcasting out of fear of the new law. So Russia just went dark. 

On 3/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

So you obviously fail to see and are probably denying the fact that Russia is the oppressor of free speech. If a country has a justification to fight another country, they won’t block social media access. Russia has just expanded their crackdown of free speech by passing a new law that will jail anybody for 15 years for saying 'war' or 'invasion' and that includes the press. All reporters now have to stop their live broadcasting out of fear of the new law. So Russia just went dark. 

Tons of people in the USA and abroad disapproved of W. Bush's invasion of Iraq, but there was no supression of freedom of speech.   Well, this is America and other countries get away more with bossing their citizens around.