Register Now
Jayson

Stereotyping of Violent Criminals

In regard to the USA, some on the left wing want to say oppression due to race is the source of violent crime.   However, on the other side of the spectrum, some want to claim that a breakdown in family values is to blame.  Anyway, the last views seem condescending and racist to many people of color.   Nonetheless, is this the hard truth?   Anyway, further complicating the matter is the politically motivated "War on Drugs".  In other words, some claim, and I'm inclined to agree, that drugs were used as "bait and switch" to destabilize African American neighborhoods.    In other words, yes, crime should be punished, but look at the environment.   This is sort of another way of blaming racial oppression.

Anyway, flat out, unapologetic racists, simply point to genetics as the source of crime - which makes them monsters - even worse than what liberals claim come out of Fox News.  However, sadly a lot of right-wingers probably harbor such views to some extent, secretly.

Well what is the solution?  Well, a poor person, of whatever background, has a lot of obstacles against him/her, many being massively unfair.   They have to overcome, no matter whether they feel victimized or not.

Edited by Jayson

14 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Here is what I believe is the source of violent crime. The legalization of alcohol. You can look up many sources online about the statistics of violent crime, and alcohol is associated with almost half of all cases. So if you want to talk about the source of violent crime, that’s what it is. 

That's interesting.  However, prohibition in the USA was a failure.  Do you feel it needs to come back?   How could it be implemented better?

If you took the tobacco playbook that dramatically decreased smoking, it could help with alcohol without outright banning it. Put really high taxes on alcohol, all the way to manufacturing, to distribution, to sales tax. Limit the servings in bars and restaurants. Somehow put an alcohol purchase tracker in the barcodes of ID’s that will be mandatory to scan when purchasing. 
Recently a bill was passed to detect alcohol and abnormal driving behavior in all new vehicles. I’m not so sure that would work well. But alcohol is a major problem and a major factor in violent behavior. Another thing is the built environment has alcohol stores on every corner. Maybe implement more dry counties. 

10 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

If you took the tobacco playbook that dramatically decreased smoking, it could help with alcohol without outright banning it. Put really high taxes on alcohol, all the way to manufacturing, to distribution, to sales tax. Limit the servings in bars and restaurants. Somehow put an alcohol purchase tracker in the barcodes of ID’s that will be mandatory to scan when purchasing. 
Recently a bill was passed to detect alcohol and abnormal driving behavior in all new vehicles. I’m not so sure that would work well. But alcohol is a major problem and a major factor in violent behavior. Another thing is the built environment has alcohol stores on every corner. Maybe implement more dry counties. 

I don't drink myself.   However, drinking is a big part of life for some people.   Why wouldn't they complain about being demonized?   Anyway, the general public wouldn't allow it, even with stats about drunk driving.   

1 minute ago, Jayson said:

I don't drink myself.   However, drinking is a big part of life for some people.   Why wouldn't they complain about being demonized?   Anyway, the general public wouldn't allow it, even with stats about drunk driving.   

Well, it has to be done. Gradually increase the taxes on it so it becomes the norm. The government is pretty good at doing that. Make it much more expensive. Maybe even reduce the alcohol content of beers. People wouldn’t want to waste money on weak booze. But as long as we recognize the strong link between violence and alcohol, then boohoo to what drinkers think about it. But the link between alcohol and violence has also been shown in other countries as well. I mean, the stats are there. It’s a matter of what any government will do about it when they are more worried about their political prospects than tackling a major unpopular task like alcohol. 

In a lot of cultures, drinking is simply part of being a man.  In fact, in the USA, of course, alcohol is a big business.  There is simply no chance of destroying the industry - even by stealth I think, as with tobacco.

Tobacco went out of style because it simply has too many obvious health risks - and even the macho association with smoking doesn't drive new smokers.  In fact, even women, who I think are more likely to start these days, have seen massive drops in smoking.

Well, this is the USA, but I heard tobacco is targeting developing nations now.

Prohibition and taxes won't stop alcohol consumption. And alcohol and tobacco are already taxed too fucking much.people the world over just love booze. They make the shit in prisons even.As far as violence,I'm sure that booze is involved in most cases.Prohibition made potheads in to criminals with the war on drugs.Booze is deeply embedded into American society.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:08 PM, Lamarr the strelok said:

Prohibition and taxes won't stop alcohol consumption. And alcohol and tobacco are already taxed too fucking much.people the world over just love booze. They make the shit in prisons even.As far as violence,I'm sure that booze is involved in most cases.Prohibition made potheads in to criminals with the war on drugs.Booze is deeply embedded into American society.

More should be invested in public transport to curb drunk driving.  Nonetheless, the problem might be that alcohol users, simply don't want public transport.  What's to be done then?