Register Now
Jayson

Hair Bands

These bands, like hip-hop ones, seem to focus on money and sex.  Well, a difference is the sometimes emphasis on violence in hip-hop.   Anyway, what's your take on hair metal, glam, whatever you call it?  How would you compare it to other types of music like grunge, hip-hop etc.?   Grunge was a rejection of the shallow messages often heard in hair metal.

Edited by Jayson

Hair metal, (or 80's rock as it's usually called) was about rebellion, not violence. Grunge had no substance. Whereas 80's rock had heart and soul. It was about the music, not the money. Sure there were a few bands that were about the money. But the majority were about the music.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:36 AM, The Blackangel said:

Grunge had no substance.

What do you mean?  Well, the haters of hair bands are saying a similar thing.  I don't know. It seems like a lot of glam metal, hair metal, whatever you call it - was about hedonism, not about anything serious.

Some of my biggest influences as a guitarist came about in the 80s.George Lynch,Matthias Jabs, Akira Takasaki and others were in bands that were considered hair metal.Sure it got dumb in the late 80s but there were some really good musicians /guitarists from the 80s. Dirt is one of my favorite albums but most grunge to me is play shitty sounding guitars, do some heroin and feel sorry for yourself. And the Scorpions have been spreading peace through music for about 50 years.Winds of change has over a billion hits and that was years ago. As noted there was some shit bands too but some I still love 40 years later.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:37 PM, The Blackangel said:

Perfectly put.

You all think grunge is a sort of goth?   Anyway, some like a balance between macho and whininess.    Well, things get so macho it gets fake.  Well, maybe not.  Some people just get tired of shallow lyrics.

As someone who was full on goth in HS, I listened to the same music that I listen to now. Black metal, death metal, 80’s rock, and a couple mainstream bands. But I could count the mainstream bands on one hand and have fingers left over. Our tastes tent to not change.

People wanted a breath of fresh air from glam and hair bands - because it was too immature.  It's just all about partying.  That's why my brother probably praised grunge when it came out around 1993 or something.

To me, most hair metal is just pop music with a standard metal backing track. However, (The Old) Motley Crue and Quiet Riot are an exception to most hair metal stuff because they actually make music and don't just copy off of the other bands. Poison and Warrant are the worst. Van Halen isn't hair metal at all.