Register Now

On 3/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, The Blackangel said:

The teaching of Critical Race Theory isn't actually a thing. No public school system in the country teaches it. It's a talking point from right wing radicals to use as a base to attack freedoms. They use it to attack teachers and education in general. They have decided that when all else fails, to make up something completely false and try that. They're pulling shit out of their ass (no pun intended) that is so far out of left field it's circling the moon. They're insane. Plain and simple.

Well, let's assume they are.   Well, if they get rid of CRT, then Republicans should give up Confederate monuments.   It seems like different groups are just pushing agendas too much.   Anyway, I'm sure enough CRT is taught in schools, sort of. I remember watching Roots in school and several teachers had a bleeding-heart side.

Well, anyway, should we really push politics too much on kids, no what they are?  It's a type of indoctrination.

6 hours ago, Jayson said:

Well, let's assume they are.   Well, if they get rid of CRT, then Republicans should give up Confederate monuments.   It seems like different groups are just pushing agendas too much.   Anyway, I'm sure enough CRT is taught in schools, sort of. I remember watching Roots in school and several teachers had a bleeding-heart side.

Well, anyway, should we really push politics too much on kids, no what they are?  It's a type of indoctrination.

No it's not. In the public school system, it doesn't exist. Teachers can and will teach about racism, but CRT is not a lesson. It is a class in higher education such as college, but is typically only taken by those going into fields that specifically deal within that area of humanity. Fields such as psychology. Some even take it as an elective. But the public school does not teach such a class. You say you live here, but the more you talk the more you make it seem like you have never even once set foot on American soil.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:08 AM, egghead said:

There is a discussion going in scientific communiti4s that time has a beginning. If that is true, what existed before time, how what made the time to begin.

Asking questions like "What happened before the Big Bang?" or "What existed before time?" is a bit like asking "What is further North of the North Pole?" or "Who wrote the Elder Scrolls?"

"It would take a month to explain to you why that very question doesn't even make sense"

...... So yeah, for similar reasons it's kinda hard to explain and nobody even has a complete understanding of it but I'll do my best.

Going back to the North Pole example.  Picture yourself standing right on the geographical North Pole, what would if you tried to go further "North" from that point?  At that point you can't go further North because North itself no longer exists.  It's the opposite to North, as in South in every direction. Even if you start moving in same direction you were going when you arrived, North is now behind you and your suddenly moving South.

So let's say you went back to the beginning of the universe, to the beginning of time, t=0.  It's a similar kind of situation. You can't go any further back in time, there is nothing further back in time because their no more time to exist.

There has been and sure there will continue be a ton of theorising and speculation about what happened before "time".  Scientifically this might be something forever beyond our compression, we may never have the answer.

I know a bunch of theists like to use this excuse science can't answer it so therefore science is wrong and God is real.  As disingenuous as that is I respond with "whatever".  If you want to believe time and the Big Bang started with God carelessly throwing away a lit match I wouldn't care.

Just because science can't answer doesn't automatically mean that religion is right.

On 4/22/2022 at 3:08 AM, egghead said:

There is a discussion going in scientific communiti4s that time has a beginning. If that is true, what existed before time, how what made the time to begin.

Time is irrelevant. To us, time is an orbit around the sun which causes seasons to change. Then we created minutes, hours, days, and years to coincide with the orbit around the sun. The sun itself is a star. Stars are born and stars die. When stars die they give off energy and elements. Energy is what keeps things in motion and the elements are available to randomly create life where it can form an organism that can survive its environment. Then it evolves in a long process. Every generation the genetics change. You carry traits from each parent. Many of us has neanderthal DNA. 

On this planet we have the laws of thermodynamics where energy is neither created nor destroyed. It gets transferred. Energy is basically what time is. The second law of thermodynamics is that energy constantly works towards disorder of a system or the entropy of a system. Entropy is basically what death is. Aging is entropy that constantly heads towards disorder. And finally death is the transfer of energy. 

The universe is constantly in motion. That motion is based on energy that humans define as being time. That's all time is. It really isn't anything at all except an increase in entropy and the transfer of energy. I guess you can say the measure of time is chemistry and physics. 

I see God as none other than an effigy of the properties of chemistry and physics. If a person believes that humans were just born and placed in a suitable environment by God, then they have to say that their beliefs also rejects all the properties of chemistry and physics because that is what time is.  Since energy is neither created nor destroyed, time is neither created nor destroyed. 

I am a spiritualist, I do not think God created the earth in 7 days. I don't believe in the stories written in the theologies. However, I believe there is a super power that made it cause everything the scientists are telling us. I don't think anything happened in its own.

I identify as an apatheist, because I don't care enough. I do remember about 10 years ago on the internet where atheists were about as annoying as the bible thumping Christians. They were primarily people that based their identify of that one aspect that made them different from others. It was one of those things that they always brought up despite nobody asking about it. It was weird considering most of the places I went to were primarily filled with atheists and agnostics, so it's not like they would have stuck out.

I know some Atheists, I would never discriminate against anyone's personal religious beliefs.

I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, grade school and high school. I do believe there is a God, or at least a Higher Power, only because I see how this world works, always in perfect harmony, good or bad. Even with the Sun, 🌞 ever notice how it's just close enough to Earth so we can grow crops and obtain Vitamin D, yet not too close where we would all burn alive. That right there, is an intentional work of Art. 😉

I was raised Roman Catholic, but despised it from early age. Partly because I was excommunicated when I was 3. That's not a typo. Three years old. I was a toddler. After that, I never went to organized religion again.

"Organized Religion is like Organized Crime; it preys on peoples' weakness, generates huge profits for its operators, and is almost impossible to eradicate."

-Mike Hermann

On 3/8/2022 at 1:19 AM, Jayson said:

How do you all feel about it?   Is there anyone who is agnostic?  What is some good reasons atheism could be right?  What are some reasons to be skeptical?   

The more you dig into actual modern day forensic science, it seems to disprove the theory of atheism; albeit whom and what is considered a God or a "god" (lower case "g") is debatable.

7 minutes ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

The more you dig into actual modern day forensic science, it seems to disprove the theory of atheism; albeit whom and what is considered a God or a "god" (lower case "g") is debatable.

Disprove what?  Atheism is not a theory, it's someone who doesn't believe in the  presence of any god(s).  That's just one component of a world view, which going from one atheist to another could be wildly different.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:51 AM, The Blackangel said:

No it's not. In the public school system, it doesn't exist. Teachers can and will teach about racism, but CRT is not a lesson. It is a class in higher education such as college, but is typically only taken by those going into fields that specifically deal within that area of humanity. Fields such as psychology. Some even take it as an elective. But the public school does not teach such a class. You say you live here, but the more you talk the more you make it seem like you have never even once set foot on American soil.

It's correct that CRT is more or less taught in "higher education" areas, if you could actually refer to some colleges teaching such courses as "higher education"; however, it has been revealed to have been taught at lower levels on the news.

I've seen the lefts modules that are part of CRT or a reflection of it, and all it is is basically teaching other to hate white people.

3 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Disprove what?  Atheism is not a theory, it's someone who doesn't believe in the  presence of any god(s).  That's just one component of a world view, which going from one atheist to another could be wildly different.

Theory, belief, "component of a world view"; you are nit picking semantics at this point. What I said still stands.

1 minute ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Theory, belief, "component of a world view"; you are nit picking semantics at this point. What I said still stands.

How?  You said forensic science disproves atheism but didn't explain why.  By default forensics has nothing to with atheism so you need to explain your point.

3 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

How?  You said forensic science disproves atheism but didn't explain why.  By default forensics has nothing to with atheism so you need to explain your point.

Well I actually said that "it seems" to do so; but the issue here is that a person looking to understand the nature of God -- or gods -- would need to understand some pretty complex fields, and have at least a mild to moderate grasp on cutting edge (or "modern day") science. Explaining the entire footprint of cutting edge science to you would be a little tricky as it goes into about 5,000 different directions, each of which have extremely advanced and cutting edge developments.