Register Now
Jayson

Farming

Who has farmed?   Does anyone farm for a living?  Who farms a lot?  What exactly do you do?  Who would like to get into farming who hasn't done before?   Who would like to do more farming?

On 3/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, The Blackangel said:

I grew up on a small stock farm. We mostly focused on Holsteins and Belgians. We did buy some hogs every year to butcher. We did the same with our own beef. It was hard work, but I loved it.

My dad had a large hobby farm. Myself, I raised chickens for 4-H.   It was a lot of fun and also sometimes helping with dad's farm.   Anyway, though, it was just for recreation.

I played farming sim for many hours 😛 but it doesn't take in the realife in terms of doing it reallife, I can say yes to that also. I experienced on being on the farm and been to the stock yards where they sold cows and live animals 🙂 

Back 13 years ago I used to live in the farming countryside 

My first cousin was trying that organic farming.   It's because the prices are a lot larger, and I suppose there is less competition from big farms.   Anyway, I'd like to farm myself.   However, I simply don't have the funds to do it.  It takes a lot of planning.   It's just the same as running a mom-and-pop business.

Edited by Jayson

18 hours ago, Jayson said:

My first cousin was trying that organic farming.   It's because the prices are a lot larger, and I suppose there is less competition from big farms.   Anyway, I'd like to farm myself.   However, I simply don't have the funds to do it.  It takes a lot of planning.   It's just the same as running a mom-and-pop business.

Getting started is expensive. You have to decide if you're going for crops, stock, or both first. Then you have to get the land for it. You have to have the necessary equipment. A decent combine can run you $250,000 alone. You'll need a good tractor. If you're raising stock, you'll have to know how to feed them, what to feed them, how to take care of them when they're sick. Also what are you going to raise? Cattle are notorious for getting pink eye. I've doctored hundreds for that. You have to know how to birth a calf and a colt.

So if you have interest in doing it, your best bet is to either find a job working on one so you can see how it's all done, or volunteer. Also you need to understand how much hard work it is before you say "I want to be a farmer". It's up at 5:00AM and not until bed before 10:00PM. It's long days, and it's not easy work, no matter how long you have been doing it.

My mother live to farm, their is no year that she doesn't farm, my father is also a farmer but not like the way my mom farm. I don't enjoy farming, but i do help out, it is stressful to do lots of farming, your body will never remain the same. 

I am from a family of farmers, my grandparents owned large hecters of land which they used for farming, though I wasn't born in the country side but in the city where a lot of people are business owners , government workers or whatever profession, anytime I visit my grandparents I usually accompany them to the farm.

My parents are still farmers up to this day, but I am not a farmer, because I don't work much when it comes to farming activities. My online gig has reduced my farming activities drastically low, maybe in the future I'll practice farming again in a modernize way.