Register Now
Jayson

What hosting do you use?

Do you feel you've gotten a good deal?  How long have you had it?  Is it shared, VPS, reseller, or dedicated server?   Why did you choose your particular type of hosting?   Do you feel you might need to upgrade or downgrade in the future?

We're with Mediacom. It's not a bad server. Just expensive as hell. I pay about $115 every month for it. I was forced to upgrade to unlimited bandwidth a couple years ago, because we stream shit all the time (I'm a YouTube addict) and @Rain Dew plays FF14 all the time. So between streaming, YouTube, and FF14, our previous plan just didn't give us enough bandwidth. I wish it did, because it was only $50 per month.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:31 AM, The Blackangel said:

We're with Mediacom. It's not a bad server. Just expensive as hell. I pay about $115 every month for it. I was forced to upgrade to unlimited bandwidth a couple years ago, because we stream shit all the time (I'm a YouTube addict) and @Rain Dew plays FF14 all the time. So between streaming, YouTube, and FF14, our previous plan just didn't give us enough bandwidth. I wish it did, because it was only $50 per month.

Myself, I use shared hosting because my forum is in a baby stage.  I might upgrade to some reseller thing once it gets bigger, since the hosting doesn't have a VPS or dedicated server option.  Have you ever used shared?

Edited by Jayson

I pay around $10 a month for cloud based shared hosting. No point getting VPS if you are on a small traffic based and the site doesn't get much bandwidth. I do have an upgrade option whiten in what plane I have. 

I've gone with shared hosting for my sites because it's just good enough for my forum. We're still a relatively small general discussion forum so the requirements aren't crazy. At the moment, it's a little less than $5 a month which I'm happy with.

I pay $3.99 a month for mine and I can pay via the Pay Pal balance, assuming I pay from a collective fund.  That's where you set funds aside and then they can take that out to pay for the hosting.  Anyway, I can host at least 5 sites on the plan, but I've only focused on one because the old XenForo version won't work on the hosting.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, The Blackangel said:

Also where we live Mediacom is the only company that covers our area.