Register Now
Jayson

Forum and Blog Software

What kind do you use?  What do you feel are the best brands?  Do you prefer paid or free?   What are some advantages with paid and free?   For those who pay, do you feel the price you pay initially and for upgrades is worth it?

I'll give Invision ist's due props, but I've always preferred Yabb forums. Well as an administrator I did. I used to run one "back in the day" but took my website down due to the fact that I just quit keeping up with it. I sold the domain a few years ago. It's changed hands several times. I don't even follow it anymore.

For a long time, I stuck with free forum software, with MyBB being my favourite. It just had a great selection of themes and plugins, both free and premium. But now I'm with XenForo and it really is amazing. Looks great, feels great, and is very easy to use, both as a member and an admin.

Free are good, not stating that tthey are bad. Most cases I have seen major big sites on Fourms software like MyBB 🙂 I myself are intp fourms and I myself who runs a gaming website and I myself start with free SMF boards before being to IPB 😉 

End of the day it's what people like and what people do use. 

I can't see any major differences in any of them, free or paid.  Well. paid software has got more stuff "out of the box".  However, with free software like MyBB and phpBB mobile ready now - without modification, why pay for software?

I am planning to upgrade from owning a blog to owning my own community, it will take some time, I want to go with paid forum via Xenforo software. I'm building from the scratch without a programming skill, just drag and drop. 

15 hours ago, Justin11 said:

It depends on your budget man, when you have tremendous budget, plan, you'll go using better forum software and installing the script suitable to your plan to make it very attractive in nature. 

This is actually why I'm completely against using anything free forum software or hosting services because it's not the right way to go about one's forum projects. 

On 4/25/2022 at 6:35 PM, Heatman said:

This is actually why I'm completely against using anything free forum software or hosting services because it's not the right way to go about one's forum projects. 

Yeap, no need for the free forum software you need a paid one to be a self hosted plan, such will make your forum more professional and appealing to your users and other visitors. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Yeap, no need for the free forum software you need a paid one to be a self hosted plan, such will make your forum more professional and appealing to your users and other visitors. 

It's better to take time and do things right when it comes to setting up your new forum with the software, hosting and all because when it's screwed from the beginning, it's going to affect it for a long time. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's better to take time and do things right when it comes to setting up your new forum with the software, hosting and all because when it's screwed from the beginning, it's going to affect it for a long time. 

Sureah man, that's why you should do the needful at the beginning of your forum creation, go for quality and not quantity over forum.