Register Now
NightmareFarm

Does anyone notice a graphical difference between the PS4 and PS5?

Whilst so far it seems to be the weakest graphical leap compared to previous gens, there is a noticeable difference up close with some textures. When you're close to a wall for example it looks more detailed compared to PS4 games where it looks all grainy and there is very little detail. 

Honestly I dont see much difference, maybe a little difference in lighting and frames per second but there is really not much of a difference, although the new generation just barely started, I remember the first ps3 games that came out look like ps2 games like the first Uncharted game but by the end of that generation we had great graphical looking games like The Last of Us.

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Honestly I dont see much difference, maybe a little difference in lighting and frames per second but there is really not much of a difference, although the new generation just barely started, I remember the first ps3 games that came out look like ps2 games like the first Uncharted game but by the end of that generation we had great graphical looking games like The Last of Us.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Launch titles for the PS3 included the likes of Killzone: Shadow Fall and Genji: Days of Blade, games that would look great even as late PS3 games.

13 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I agree usually it doesn't look any different, just that I think when you're right next to certain textures sometimes there is more intricate details like cracks in the wall compared to it being grainy.

Just now, Shagger said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Launch titles for the PS3 included the likes of Killzone: Shadow Fall and Genji: Days of Blade, games that would look great even as late PS3 games.

I honestly didnt played those games so I was not aware as to how they looked, actually this is the first time I heard of Genji: Days of Blade. But my points stands we still have not see the graphical capabilites of the console at its fullest, well I havent played any of the recent games like Horizon Forbbiden West which I assume it looks fantastic on ps5, but still this current generation just started and its off to a slow start so we will have to wait and see what more it has to offer in terms of graphics.

32 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I have to agree - the difference is noticeable enough especially when it's used to its full capabilities. 

48 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

I agree usually it doesn't look any different, just that I think when you're right next to certain textures sometimes there is more intricate details like cracks in the wall compared to it being grainy.

Maybe the new direction that the games are taking is animation itself and frames per second, for example I was playing Worizon zero dawn last night and some points Alloy's hair just looks like a stump of wet spaguetti when she jumps xD, on Horizon Forbidden West I was watching some videos and although the robots look way better her hair has the same problem, so there is still room for improvement, is not like we reached the peak of video graphics as of yet.

38 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I have to agree - the difference is noticeable enough especially when it's used to its full capabilities. 

Hopefully we will soon see a game that uses the console graphics capabilities at its fullest , I dont want to think that the latest games like Horizon Forbidden West are the peak of graphics on the ps5

5 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Hopefully we will soon see a game that uses the console graphics capabilities at its fullest , I dont want to think that the latest games like Horizon Forbidden West are the peak of graphics on the ps5

At 4k 120hz, it's when you see it at its full potential. However, those TVs with HDMI 2.1 have gotten a tad expensive and are pretty hard to get due to the chip shortage so most people can't really experience it as yet.

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Maybe the new direction that the games are taking is animation itself and frames per second, for example I was playing Worizon zero dawn last night and some points Alloy's hair just looks like a stump of wet spaguetti when she jumps xD, on Horizon Forbidden West I was watching some videos and although the robots look way better her hair has the same problem, so there is still room for improvement, is not like we reached the peak of video graphics as of yet.

Horizon Forbidden West has to be the most graphically overrated game of recent times. The cutscenes look kind of next gen but the overworld looks a lot like zero dawn. Aloys hair is one of the worst offenders like you said. There's a lot of clipping with the bow as well. It's a shame, the graphics could have looked much better if they didn't hold it back for PS4.

Compared to the original PS4 there is a noticable difference, but compared to the PS4 Pro which already outputs at 4K and renders close to it the differences are only obvious in side by side comparisons or analyzing the image with a fine tooth comb.

8 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

Horizon Forbidden West has to be the most graphically overrated game of recent times. The cutscenes look kind of next gen but the overworld looks a lot like zero dawn. Aloys hair is one of the worst offenders like you said. There's a lot of clipping with the bow as well. It's a shame, the graphics could have looked much better if they didn't hold it back for PS4.

I have to strongly disagree, I'm playing in a base PS4 (not even pro) and I'm blown away by how good it looks.  Horizon Zero Dawn was already one of the best looking console games ever and Guerilla managed to improve to not only make it look even better for PS5 but made significant improvements to current to PS4 as well.  Thicker foliage, improved character models, the addition of underwater section's and FAR better animations during cutscenes and gameplay.

3 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I have to strongly disagree, I'm playing in a base PS4 (not even pro) and I'm blown away by how good it looks.  Horizon Zero Dawn was already one of the best looking console games ever and Guerilla managed to improve to not only make it look even better for PS5 but made significant improvements to current to PS4 as well.  Thicker foliage, improved character models, the addition of underwater section's and FAR better animations during cutscenes and gameplay.

I'm playing it on a PS5 and it looks like zero dawn for the most part besides the cutscenes. All these intricate graphical tweaks are barely noticeable. There is a lot of flaws like clipping with aloys hair and the bow for example. I mean it looks good for 8th gen standards but it doesn't look like next gen.