Register Now
StaceyPowers

I’ve realized that slowing down boosts immersion a lot.

I’m playing a short game right now, and I tend to drag my feet when I know a game is short, because I don’t want it to be over. In doing so this time around, I realized something. When I really slow down and do not have a constant motivation to keep pushing forward in a game, and I just look around and imagine I’m really in the game environment, it is so much more immersive. I highly recommend it.

Definitely; I like it when games give you a chance to stop and look around and think. And it's not just the view for me, but sometimes I piece things together, make more sense out of things, and even let my imagination wonder. 

And when you know you are about to kill someone, coming from the shadows, you have analyzed the situation a hundred ways to kill, while they have no clue what's coming; then walk real slow. Taste death coming in the air. See the shadows move. Weapons glisten. Just walk real slow like a bad ass. Throat slice one. Let the next enemy see me. Let them charge after me. And I just walk real slow and take in the moment before my blade is thrusted and hacked and sliced through all his warm meat. Smell the iron of blood splash on me, and walk. Walk on. 🤣

I only rush games I don't like that much, or ones where the narrative has a time pressure built in. I tend to push forward hard then, for immersion's sake, even if I know the game doesn't punish you for taking your time.

Otherwise I'm always taking my time especially in  open world games. I go to random locations I find interesting to explore. And using walking instead of running all the time is a huge boon for immersion.

11 hours ago, m76 said:

I only rush games I don't like that much, or ones where the narrative has a time pressure built in. I tend to push forward hard then, for immersion's sake, even if I know the game doesn't punish you for taking your time.

Otherwise I'm always taking my time especially in  open world games. I go to random locations I find interesting to explore. And using walking instead of running all the time is a huge boon for immersion.

This is true as when there is no motivation to play a particular game, we tend to rush it so that we can focus on other things that we want to do for the day. I've played short games where I honestly wish the game doesn't end and distracting myself with other activities are part of the ways that I tend to achieve what I want.

21 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Definitely; I like it when games give you a chance to stop and look around and think. And it's not just the view for me, but sometimes I piece things together, make more sense out of things, and even let my imagination wonder. 

And when you know you are about to kill someone, coming from the shadows, you have analyzed the situation a hundred ways to kill, while they have no clue what's coming; then walk real slow. Taste death coming in the air. See the shadows move. Weapons glisten. Just walk real slow like a bad ass. Throat slice one. Let the next enemy see me. Let them charge after me. And I just walk real slow and take in the moment before my blade is thrusted and hacked and sliced through all his warm meat. Smell the iron of blood splash on me, and walk. Walk on. 🤣

Oooh even your reply is immersive. Thank you for making my thread more meta 🙂

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

When you are not rushing the game, there is always a possibility of getting to appreciate the game the more and better understand it. 

Rushing games can be based on what we feel we want to achieve while playing the game. For some games, it is okay to slow down, but that is not the case for others.

16 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

Rushing games can be based on what we feel we want to achieve while playing the game. For some games, it is okay to slow down, but that is not the case for others.

If you are interested in completing more games in a year, you will definitely have to rush the games that you play. 

10 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I am not always on a haste to complete any game at all. If so, I could've completed GTA 5 game ever since I bought. I love the game so much, but I don't play it with enough consistency to finish it up at once. 

Sometimes I ask myself why the rush to play and complete the game? After the rush, the game will still be there, so why not take it slow and enjoy it more. 

On 3/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, Boblee said:

Sometimes I ask myself why the rush to play and complete the game? After the rush, the game will still be there, so why not take it slow and enjoy it more. 

Some gamers lack safe control, they just want to play on and not holding back. Maybe they set target withing themselves to hit before a certain duration.