Register Now
NightmareFarm

Would you rather have a locked 30fps or inconsistent 60fps?

If you were forced to choose one of the two would you rather play games in locked 30fps or a game which targets 60 but dips below it sometimes(like often dips to 40-55 fps).

Imo i'd still take that over 30fps. Ever since I got my PS5 30fps has become basically unplayable. At least even if it's inconsistent I would get 60fps like half the time. I've played games where the frame rate dips below 60 a lot and its still better than locked 30fps.

Edited by NightmareFarm

Personally I don't see that much of a difference between 30fps and 60fps, certainly not enough to describe any 30fps game as "unplayable".  60fps is preferable of course but I'd take a consistent 30fps over an unstable 60fps, especially if I get better visuals for one very good reason, V-Sync.

V-Sync prevents screen tearing but what a lot of people don't realise is how it does it and it's very important to make note of understand.  Screen tearing occurs when the frame rate being produced by the GPU doesn't line up the the refresh rate of the screen.  V-Sync is a simple fix that holds a complete frame in a buffer untill the screen can accept it but there are drawbacks.  The first is that it adds an input delay because the game has to "wait" until the next frame has finished loading.  The second problem is that the game is effectively locked half and single measures of the screens maximum refresh rate, there's no in between.  Take the OP's example:

1 hour ago, NightmareFarm said:

If you were forced to choose one of the two would you rather play games in locked 30fps or a game which targets 60 but dips below it sometimes(like often dips to 40-55 fps).

I'm sorry to break this to you but unless your using Freesync or G-Sync which match the the frame rates in real time (neither of which are supposed on PS5 as far I know), that's just not the truth about what's happening.  When the GPU is 60fps, your getting 60fps but any indicated frame rate below that and actually seeing on the screen is 30fps because V-Sync isn't allowing any incomplete frames sitting between 30 and 60 to pass through it's buffer. Turning V-Sync off gets you the legit frame rates of course but you get screen tearing.

To sum up, if you have a 60hz screen you should only be playing at 60fps if you can get away with it when V-Sync is turned off, and this exactly what games on PS5 in performance mode should be optimised to do (as in his 60fps ALL the time with no tearing).  If you're only getting 45fps in performance mode then that game is poorly optimised, the 60fps is effectively a lie and you just play the graphics mode at 30fps.

Edited by Crazycrab

It depends on what do you mean by inconsistent. If it's just that the game occasionally dips bellow 60fps, then that's definitely better than locked 30. But if we are talking incosistent frame times, with noticeable pauses and stutters, then I choose consistent 30 fps any day.

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

There is no fun in having an inconsistent pattern to your gaming. Everything is definitely going to be messed up one way or another. 

I'm not saying it's good. But it's still better than 30fps which is borderline unplayable. Unless the inconsistentness is really bad where it shifts like 10 frames every seconds.

Depends on the games that you play. Personal preference, I never do it, under 30 just feels choppy to me either way, might as well at least have it closer to 60 most of the time. If it's really really fluctuating constantly sure, but I'm not sure there's any game where that could even happen. More FPS means less perfornce in the game, just depends on the game. in FPS games you need more FPS

8 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

I'm not saying it's good. But it's still better than 30fps which is borderline unplayable. Unless the inconsistentness is really bad where it shifts like 10 frames every seconds.

I haven't seen anything that's inconsistent that's good. So, that hits it off for me. 

42 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

You obviously haven't read what I said earlier. If the GPU is putting out a frame rate between 30 and 60 with V-Sync turned on (which on console it almost certainly will be since Freesync and G-Sync aren't compatible) then your display is running at an "unplayable" 30fps anyway, so your argument doesn't even apply in the context your presenting it.

Even if that weren't the case I, like most people here, would still have a constant 30fps over a fluctuating 60fps which you weirdly seem to refuse to accept. It's not that big of a deal, get over it!

54 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

You obviously haven't read what I said earlier. If the GPU is putting out a frame rate between 30 and 60 with V-Sync turned on (which on console it almost certainly will be since Freesync and G-Sync aren't compatible) then your display is running at an "unplayable" 30fps anyway, so your argument doesn't even apply in the context your presenting it.

Even if that weren't the case I, like most people here, would still have a constant 30fps over a fluctuating 60fps which you weirdly seem to refuse to accept. It's not that big of a deal, get over it!

I can't seem to understand why someone would be struggling with a fluctuating 60fps when they can enjoy 30fps. 

6 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

>Even if that weren't the case I, like most people here, would still have a constant 30fps over a fluctuating 60fps which you weirdly seem to refuse to accept. It's not that big of a deal, get over it!

Excuse me??? I'm respecting peoples opinions. Boblee was asking me why I would choose uncapped 60fps so I was telling him why I would prefer that to capped 30fps. How does that equate to me trying to make him change his mind or anyone elses. I've never tried told anyone their preference is wrong on this thread. You have though to me. You're being really passive aggressive for no reason and need to calm down.

Edited by NightmareFarm

52 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Excuse me??? I'm respecting peoples opinions.

No your not, your being dismissive and providing little to no rebuttal or context.  When @Boblee stated:

On 3/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, Boblee said:

Seriously, what's the fun in having an inconsistent 60fps? It's completely not worth it as far as I'm concerned. 

You responded with:

On 3/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, NightmareFarm said:

Better than locked 30fps

Even when you did provide a bit more:

16 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

It still comes across as dismissive because keep throwing the word "unplayable", which is very aggressive if (like most of us) you don't consider gaming at 30fps something worth making that much of a fuss about.  It's implying that those of us that are playing at 30fps are "doing it wrong".

You haven't mentioned any of points I've made either, even when you directly responded to me.  These are a direct rebuttal to as to why having a frame rate that dips below 60fps doesn't work in the way you described in the circumstances you presented.

You probably not intentionally trying to come across in this dismissive ignorant way, but it is how it looks.  If I'm coming across as passive aggressive it's I'm responding to someone, wether they realise it not, is coming across as passive aggressive.

15 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

No your not, your being dismissive and providing little to no rebuttal or context.  When @Boblee stated:

You responded with:

Even when you did provide a bit more:

It still comes across as dismissive because keep throwing the word "unplayable", which is very aggressive if (like most of us) you don't consider gaming at 30fps something worth making that much of a fuss about.  It's implying that those of us that are playing at 30fps are "doing it wrong".

You haven't mentioned any of points I've made either, even when you directly responded to me.  These are a direct rebuttal to as to why having a frame rate that dips below 60fps doesn't work in the way you described in the circumstances you presented.

You probably not intentionally trying to come across in this dismissive ignorant way, but it is how it looks.  If I'm coming across as passive aggressive it's I'm responding to someone, wether they realise it not, is coming across as passive aggressive.

You need to chill out. This isn't an english exam it's a gaming forum. People like you need to learn how to loosen up and stop being so argumentative, you're ruining the atmosphere. If I don't feel like giving essay replies to explain why I prefer something then I don't have to. Yes 30fps is borderline unplayable to me. We all have our different experiences with games. I mean, before I got my PS5 I found it ok to deal with just not ideal. And some others think 30fps is perfectly smooth. And some others think even 60fps is unplayable and 120fps should be the norm. We're all entitled to our own opinion. 

No, i'm not going to respond to your points because you're just acting really uptight and obnoxious. You don't get replies by being passive aggressive. I mean my statement doesn't even need an argument to back it up, it's literally a preference anyway. 30fps is extremely inconvenient to me. Maybe I was exaggurating about unplayable but it still feels very rough. That's my preference, I can't change how I feel.