Register Now
Jayson

Writing a Book

Who is into writing fiction or non-fiction?   Well, with fiction, there are formulas for writing stories.   For instance, who has heard of "The Journey of a Hero"?   Anyway, I've thought about this thing, but I haven't really tried to write fiction.   Well, I really want to.

I'm so bad at spelling and even trying to think about things not alone writing a book. I just end up letting someone else do it for me. I can write and type so much content a day you know and yet I just do not want to get into writing a book. Even nowadays people just go on their PC and type their book up rather than writing by hand. 

5 hours ago, egghead said:

I have written books, my books are available for purchase on Amazon

That's wonderful to hear you have a book that is limited at Amazon and available for purchase. You can share link, let me go see for myself. 

A few years back myself and a few fellow collectors started writing about the history of racing games, so far we have enough content for atleast a 1000 pages book, the problem is what do you include, do you include kart racers or not, do you include arcade only games etc etc.

I wrote about 100 pages covering the entire need for speed franchise up until payback detailing every version/port released, hell  even managed to interview devs from the first few games and the lead designer from need for speed rivals. All in all if we add pictures it could be 150 pages book alone, maybe publishing a paperback should be possible but you know by the time it could be published it's already outdated.

I'm more into the idea to just create a website that's dedicated to racing games rather then a book but we'll see maybe we'll do a kickstarter to see if there is any interest for it. I'm not the main guy behind the project so i'll just leave it to them.

You sounded well with the option of creating a website either a blog just like VGR community, talk specifically about video games, and monetize it with ads, or through other options like selling digital items, or using it to do affiliate marketing for video game items etc. 

I used to write short stories in high school - my mother once found them and astounded at how detailed and organized my stories were but sadly, I just never followed it up. At the moment, I'm too busy learning Spanish and Coding to concentrate on developing this skill.

I don't have such appetite to write chapters of books, i prefer blog posts, or short forum posts. The highest number of words I can write is 1k words. Going beyond that is tiring for me, I don't like stressing my brain too much when it comes to writing. 

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm using Rosetta Stone for that myself. It's not an easy thing to do, but I'm getting better at it. How are you learning? any specific programs, or a tutor?

I'm currently learning it using Pimsjleur audiobooks. I must say that it seems to be somewhat working because I can at least hold a few simple conversations in Spanish. I had tried other stuff but this seems to be the one that works best for me.