Register Now
Jayson

Generic vs Name-Brand Food/Drink Products

Sometimes generic is just as good.  Sometimes it isn't.  For instance, Sam's Cherry Cola is as good as Cherry Coke and half the price, maybe less.  Now, for another example, I have to say name-brand regular cola like Pepsi and Coke doesn't have competition from generic brands.   However, if a certain generic brand regular cola is really cold, it still tastes good, but it isn't "as good".

Edited by Jayson

Like most people, trial and error. That being said, I'm a big sucker if the price difference isn't that large. For instance, I just got back from the store buying sausage and "cheese".

The Jimmy Dean sausage was 3.49 a tube and the store brand was 3.29 a tube for the same size. I ended up getting the Dean brand because it came in maple flavor. Had the price difference been more than 20 cents, I would have probably said screw the flavor, it's a much better deal and gotten the generic, but it I figured it'd be better.

Some things I actually prefer the generic over the name brand. Some things (very few actually) I prefer the name brand. For example I drink diet Pepsi. I've tried other brands and so far only found one that I liked, but Dollar Tree no longer sells it. So like @Empire it's a simple matter of trial and error.

It depends a lot on the idea. For example, in the UK, a lot of own brand coke products just don't come close to Coca Cola or Pepsi. They taste disgusting and way too much like flavoured water basically. But the own brand chocolate from places like Lidl and Aldi are a lot better than Cadburys now. It's actually crazy to think that.

Aldi's has a lot of great food. For example, I've always preferred their bacon over that of any other store. The chips they sell are great, and their soda isn't all that bad either. Not to mention that their prices are pretty nice. The only downside is that you have to buy bags.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:20 PM, Family sedan said:

I think Cheerios are far better than store brand o's.

I always thought they tasted the same. But I think brand name Kraft American cheese slices taste a hell of a lot better than generic.

But with my extra sharp cheddar blocks I can't tell a difference, so I just always go with the generic. Diet cola Faygo was always good, but Dollar tree stopped selling it and switched to something that is truly gross, So I'm back to drinking only Diet Pepsi. Which is the brand I have drank since I was a child. But I switched to diet when my doctor told me I was in the pre-diabetes stage. Now I don't like the taste of regular soda at all.

@Rain Dew is extremely happy about it because she has always drank diet her whole life and wasn't crazy about regular either.

Edited by The Blackangel

Sometimes the generic version of certain products taste way better than the original. For instance, we used to get an off-brand version of Hostess cakes at the supermarket and they were far more delicious than their original counterpart.

I prefer the brand than the generic, the taste aren't the same. Their is nothing to adjust in there from the generic companies to make such beverages taste same like the brand. I know generic is cheaper, bit their is quality in the main brand. 

18 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Most times I thought that way, but knowing fully well that some people do copyright infringement, but when they're cut up by health agencies, definitely they'll pay the price for hiding under an umbrella that isn't theirs. 

Some people can't afford brand drugs and it's partly the reason why they don't push for the drugs and it's totally understandable.