Register Now
Jayson

Generic vs Name-Brand Food/Drink Products

2 minutes ago, Clasher said:

That's true , I got this lady who supplies me home made liquid soap at my apartment and it's really good and has a really nice fragrance better than some branded products I know. I am always buying from her instead of going to the stores, her products are good and I want to support her and see her grow as well.

That's tremendous to hear that some generic products without license appears better to you. I've used such kind of products too in the past, it doesn't matter the name on the product, what matters is the quality and purpose of buying it. 

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's tremendous to hear that some generic products without license appears better to you. I've used such kind of products too in the past, it doesn't matter the name on the product, what matters is the quality and purpose of buying it. 

The truth is many branded products are overhyped and only well packaged to look better than others. 

Like for my washing or laundry I know a couple of branded products that isn't appealing to me in terms of smell and how well it lathers . But this ladies home made detergent, liquid soap for laundry and dish washing give best of both worlds.

7 hours ago, Clasher said:

The truth is many branded products are overhyped and only well packaged to look better than others. 

Like for my washing or laundry I know a couple of branded products that isn't appealing to me in terms of smell and how well it lathers . But this ladies home made detergent, liquid soap for laundry and dish washing give best of both worlds.

That's great that you saw value in what that lady sells, such can help raise the bar for the woman if you do this kind of recommendation and kind gestures offline. I believe, many people can revert to buying from the lady since she deals on quality and affordable irrespective of her unbranded products. 

17 hours ago, Clasher said:

Some do warrant their fame and price due to the quality but others are just way too overpriced and overhyped for what they offer. For instance, Hostess cakes are really tasty - However, the generic brand tastes as good if not better than them.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Some do warrant their fame and price due to the quality but others are just way too overpriced and overhyped for what they offer. For instance, Hostess cakes are really tasty - However, the generic brand tastes as good if not better than them.

That's my point exactly, some branded products genuinely boasts of good quality as well and is worth the price, while some are just overpriced or overhyped and the generic products could even serve more efficiently than the branded products.

2 minutes ago, Clasher said:

That's my point exactly, some branded products genuinely boasts of good quality as well and is worth the price, while some are just overpriced or overhyped and the generic products could even serve more efficiently than the branded products.

On another note, some of the generic brand names are funny as hell. For instance, in China you have OFC that is directly ripping off KFC with a nearly identical menu. However, no one can swear for the quality of the food.

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

On another note, some of the generic brand names are funny as hell. For instance, in China you have OFC that is directly ripping off KFC with a nearly identical menu. However, no one can swear for the quality of the food.

To me that OFC isn't generic just because it bears a similar name to another brand. If you have actually visited the place you would still see that they have various differences between the two restaurants. Just like mobiles phones which have similar features and look but bear different names like how Techno and infinix Mobile phones are,I wouldn't call that generic as long as the design or whatever isn't patented.