Register Now
kingpotato

Is it wise to spend money on free to play games?

I personally have spend about 30 dlls on Fortine (season pass and a premium skin) and a season pass on Apex Legends about 10 dollars , and I dont play them as much as before, I still do from time to time, but I feel like I probably wasted money on skins. Is it wise to spend money on free to play games? Do any of you spend money on free to play games such as cosmetics or in game currency ?

"Free to Play" has lost all credibility for me. We all know by this point that these games aren't really free at all. The monetisation that they have always makes the game purposefully less fun and more of a chore than it otherwise would be.

If you enjoy the game, spend it. I've spent money on Fortnite a while ago for the season pass and the Save the World mode. Back when I was playing it, I was enjoying it a lot so the money was well spent. And considering the quality of some of the skins you can get, it's not wasted really.

23 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Is it wise to spend money on free to play games? Do any of you spend money on free to play games such as cosmetics or in game currency ?

NO, skins and weapons should to be something you should get as reward for playing the game not something someone should fork out their hard earned cash for.

3 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

NO, skins and weapons should to be something you should get as reward for playing the game not something someone should fork out their hard earned cash for.

Yeah but what if its a free to play game ?

Just now, kingpotato said:

Yeah but what if its a free to play game ?

No idea i stay away from free to play games, but the idea of paying cash for a skin or a weapon sends a sends a shiver down my spine. But hey to each their own, who am i to judge 😉

If you get value out of the game and you think it's worth it, that is what matters. i'm just not really into the idea off paying to advance in a game, i'd rather just buy the whole game, instead of being bothered every few minutes to buy something.

5 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

No idea i stay away from free to play games, but the idea of paying cash for a skin or a weapon sends a sends a shiver down my spine. But hey to each their own, who am i to judge 😉

If you get value out of the game and you think it's worth it, that is what matters. i'm just not really into the idea off paying to advance in a game, i'd rather just buy the whole game, instead of being bothered every few minutes to buy something.

Okay yeah thats the main topic on my post, is it really worth it to pay for skins on free to play games. Lets take Fornite for example, the game is already free to play and you can play on almost any game for free, there is no need persay to spend money on the game to advance or to play the events other than cosmetics. And these days paying for a full game doesnt mean you are getting a full game, specially on multiplayer games. Like COD games they release each year at full price and they still have microtransactions.

16 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Okay yeah thats the main topic on my post, is it really worth it to pay for skins on free to play games. Lets take Fornite for example, the game is already free to play and you can play on almost any game for free, there is no need persay to spend money on the game to advance or to play the events other than cosmetics. And these days paying for a full game doesnt mean you are getting a full game, specially on multiplayer games. Like COD games they release each year at full price and they still have microtransactions.

I don't really have a problem with microtransactions if they are optional and don't disturb normal gameplay. I don't really get developers on this either, since it does  more harm then good for their games. Take the recent backlash Gran turismo 7 is taking because let's be honest, what a dick move from sony to include microtransactions a few weeks after launch it not also makes them look like money greedy assholes. GT7 on the ps5 costs already 10 bucks more the usual price, pretty sure it costs damn near 75 euros over here. 

I don't really play multiplayer so can't really talk too much about that. Like i said free to play games are something i stay away from, if they offer the whole experience for a fixed price, i'll gladly try some of them out. I always wanted to play Genhsin impact but since it's free to play i'm not going to bother why they don't offer it as a complete game for a fixed price i'll never understand. 

Maybe i'll just need to get over the fact that games are nothing but consumables these days, you're done with them and move onto the next to be never played again. It's kinda saddening since kids who grow up these days are not likely to be able to play a game from their childhood again if they ever want to offcourse.

Who am i to comment on somebody who likes free to play games and should they spend money on it or not. I think it's a waste of money and that's what the original title off the topic says.

but then again if i spend 15 bucks at mcdonalds and another person spends 15 bucks on something they get hours of enjoyment off and it makes them happy. I'm most likely the real loser in this scenario 😉

On 3/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, Crazycrab said:

"Free to Play" has lost all credibility for me. We all know by this point that these games aren't really free at all. The monetisation that they have always makes the game purposefully less fun and more of a chore than it otherwise would be.

I have been playing with some of such games in the past and I know for sure that they are not something that's worth giving 5 minutes of your time.